Planetside 2 - A critical look - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: What? Ten quotes an hour? Stop suppressing me!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-09-15, 01:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
Graywolves
General

Re: Planetside 2 - A critical look

I looked up at my blank tv and forgot what I was gonna say....

Oh yeah! I want to be a wolfy Terran soldier!!!!!!!!!
Old 2011-09-15, 01:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
Sirisian
Colonel

Yeah that's my general viewpoint also on the F2P aspect. It really just comes down to what "selling power" is though. Some people agree with Smedley's definition that selling upgrades aka "sidegrades" (clever) isn't selling power as long as you can get them in the game after a while. Or that buying guns that you can get in the game after a while isn't selling power. Some of us are a harder sell. Personally I just wanted to stick with an aesthetic only cash shop, but that idea seems out the window unless a lot of people disagree with Smedley.
Old 2011-09-15, 01:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
Wahooo
Captain

Originally Posted by I Hate MMORPGs View Post
Satire is fun

Either that or you know, but you are just bad at it.
Old 2011-09-15, 01:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
I Hate MMORPGs
Private

Originally Posted by Wahooo View Post
You don't know what blah blah...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satire

Stop projecting your own failures on me. Creating a blog about how bad MMORPGs are in order to provide humorous and constructive insight about MMORPGs is exactly what satire is all about.

Or maybe I'm just dumber than you look.
Old 2011-09-15, 01:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
kaffis
Contributor
Major

EDIT: I also find it interesting that people think developers have any final say about the revenue model of their games...
Look up John Smedley. You'll quickly figure out that he's not a developer (anymore, if you want to get technical), he's the President of Sony Online Entertainment. Who is, incidentally, also the publisher since the PS2 team is 1st party. So he's exactly where the buck stops when it comes to revenue models.
Old 2011-09-15, 01:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
Wahooo
Captain

Projecting my own failures? I, um... see this was my point you use these words and sayings that don't really apply. My conclusion is you don't know what these words mean.

Your opinions being critical of game play that you find boring, tired or un-fun is one thing. Criticizing business models you simply don't understand and typing like you have some vast knowledge of the subject without be right or funny and in no way constructive doesn't seem to apply to what you think you are trying to do.
Old 2011-09-15, 01:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
I Hate MMORPGs
Private

Originally Posted by Wahooo View Post
Projecting my own failures? I, um... see this was my point you use these words and sayings that don't really apply. My conclusion is you don't know what these words mean.

Your opinions being critical of game play that you find boring, tired or un-fun is one thing. Criticizing business models you simply don't understand and typing like you have some vast knowledge of the subject without be right or funny and in no way constructive doesn't seem to apply to what you think you are trying to do.
I see a lot of words with nothing to back it up. Why are you allowed to make unfounded claims, but nobody else is?

All I'm saying is that to date there hasn't been a game made that is going to have the same type of bandwidth/server requirements that this game is shooting for. People say they're willing to purchase novelty and side-grade items, but I doubt they would do so every month or even though to support the massive architecture.

Unless SOE is willing to take a loss on this game (stupid) they will be forced to resort to alternative revenue models such as Pay-to-Win or Anarchy-style in game advertising.

Again though, these are all just opinions equally unfounded in proof. I hope they can accomplish what they want to, and I'm sure PlanetSide 2 will be great if they can.
Old 2011-09-15, 01:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
Graywolves
General

I don't think he read the wiki page

Old 2011-09-15, 01:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
Draep
Master Sergeant

I thought satire was supposed to be funny.
Old 2011-09-15, 02:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
Fuel Truck
Private

I would rather read his blog than go through the 10 pages of whining retards in "Definition of 'Selling Power'", who will all probably be the first people to buy weapon upgrades.
Old 2011-09-15, 02:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #56
Hamma
PSU Admin

Let's be constructive, and quit trolling folks. No good comes out of calling people "whining retards" on a fan site discussion forum about an un-released game.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-09-15, 02:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #57
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Fuel Truck View Post
I would rather read his blog than go through the 10 pages of whining retards in "Definition of 'Selling Power'", who will all probably be the first people to buy weapon upgrades.
You should read that thread, its just p0int against the world, while he is claiming that F2P is the devil and subscription are soooo much better.
Old 2011-09-15, 02:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #58
Wahooo
Captain

I see a lot of words with nothing to back it up. Why are you allowed to make unfounded claims, but nobody else is?
Perfect description of your blog TBH.

All I'm saying is that to date there hasn't been a game made that is going to have the same type of bandwidth/server requirements that this game is shooting for. People say they're willing to purchase novelty and side-grade items, but I doubt they would do so every month or even though to support the massive architecture.
A very good take on why another game like planetside has yet to be made.
This is the thing, however, it really only takes a small portion of the game's population to pay for this stuff. Your article on Zynga was pretty good, I think it could have gone on and said more honestly. The point there is are they making money on every single person that plays those things? My wife made me get into Farmville for a while and of all the friends I have that play or have played Zynga games it would appear to me those paying are maybe 10% of those nearly 43million that have "liked" it. Granted PS2 plans on having a lot more overhead, but the point remains it doesn't take the whole games population paying bunches of money every month, but some people unwilling to pay $15 month subscription will (for some reason) pay $50 - $100 every couple months on their fluff items.

Unless SOE is willing to take a loss on this game (stupid) they will be forced to resort to alternative revenue models such as Pay-to-Win or Anarchy-style in game advertising.
Remains to be seen. SOE does have a substantial history of screwing up a good thing.

Again though, these are all just opinions equally unfounded in proof. I hope they can accomplish what they want to, and I'm sure PlanetSide 2 will be great if they can.
Old 2011-09-15, 02:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #59
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by basti View Post
You should read that thread, its just p0int against the world, while he is claiming that F2P is the devil and subscription are soooo much better.
Whats funny is, as much as I was arguing with P0int, I actually agree that a subscription is "better", and if that is an option, thats how I'd pay. However, I'm hard pressed to find any fps games that require a subscription.

So simple logic: fps players don't pay subscriptions - PS2 is an fps - PS2 needs to have a non-subscription option.

Old 2011-09-15, 02:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #60
Traak
Colonel

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post
You make a good point, but Smed is the CEO, so there's not many people "higher in the pecking order" lol
The board of directors.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion