Exiting Vehicles - Come to a Full Stop - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I wonder if anyone has ever given their 1 cent...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-05-26, 01:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
Soothsayer
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Re: Exiting Vehicles - Come to a Full Stop

Originally Posted by ArcIyte View Post
PS1 had the correct bailing mechanisms for ground vehicles

You could jump out of open-topped vehicles. Tanks required you to stop, get out, and had a big explosion radius when they blew up.

Anything less than that is dumbed down and a step backwards.
Agree. This will be even more valid when they include entry/exit animations after launch.

The balance to exiting the vehicle to deny a kill is the explosion radius. It anything at all, the damage and size of the explosion should be more punitive.
Old 2012-05-26, 01:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
Soothsayer
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Zulthus View Post
I didn't say it's necessarily wrong, but I was referring to Pyreal's statement that it offers up a wealth of tactical options, which we all know is absolute bullshit. There is only one use for it, escaping death last second. I don't care if you do in a buggy, ATV, etc, but it's completely retarded being able to have a second life after having your TANK destroyed. The thing is a massively powerful tool with extreme killing capability, and you shouldn't get a free life by pressing 'E'.
Not entirely true. I close distance and bail from my fury with a shotgun when I come across a sniper or phoenix user in the wild. It's part of a skill based process that requires a bail from an open cockpit vehicle.

I'm willing to take a compromise though, if aircraft have to put a vehicle spec that allows them to bail then, by all means, open cockpit ground vehicles should have to as well.
Old 2012-05-26, 01:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
Pyreal
First Sergeant

I didn't say it's necessarily wrong, but I was referring to Pyreal's statement that it offers up a wealth of tactical options, which we all know is absolute bullshit.
It takes two more hits to kill my tank. You fire. I immediately bail and sprint to your position (close proximity is obviously required for this), lay C4 at any position around your weakened vehicle and blow your ass up, or if time does not permit, kill us both. Either way I proceed with an amused chuckle at your expense, whilst you rage at crappy game mechanics and 'b00bs', the new name for 'bailing n00bs'.

There is only one use for it, escaping death last second. I don't care if you do in a buggy, ATV, etc, but it's completely retarded being able to have a second life after having your TANK destroyed.
Of course I could always use that time to win the fight on foot against a superior enemy, but that doesn't fall within the constraints of your impenetrable logic birthed declaration that there is 'only one use for bailing'.

Also, it would technically be before your tank was destroyed, not after. See, if you're in the tank when it explodes, you die.

The thing is a massively powerful tool with extreme killing capability, and you shouldn't get a free life by pressing 'E'.
Why not?
Old 2012-05-26, 01:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
Mechzz
Major

Originally Posted by Hmr85 View Post
I'm not saying he shouldn't.... However, I completely disagree that the vehicle has to come to a complete stop before you can exit. It wasn't really a issue in PS1. I don't see it being that big of a issue in PS2 even though some on here are trying to make it out to be.

If the gunner/driver manages to bail out before it explodes and kills the op4 holding the rocket launcher that's their problem for not being prepared. Always plan for every scenario...
Sorry I didn't mention that in my scheme I would allow a bail when the vehicle was moving, to not do so would be too restrictive.

But I do think that all occupants should take a share of the damage the vehicle has taken if they decide to jump. Seems a very fair solution to me. I get to jump, if I'm in the tank, but I need to think more about defence than offence which is the price to pay for not fighting to the last HP of my vehicle.
Old 2012-05-26, 01:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
Zulthus
Colonel

Originally Posted by Pyreal View Post
It takes two more hits to kill my tank. You fire. I immediately bail and sprint to your position (close proximity is obviously required for this), lay C4 at any position around your weakened vehicle and blow your ass up, or if time does not permit, kill us both. Either way I proceed with an amused chuckle at your expense, whilst you rage at crappy game mechanics and 'b00bs', the new name for 'bailing n00bs'.
You just bailed out of your tank because you were about to die. If there were say, 5 shots left, you would have continued shooting me with your tank instead of running to me with C4. You just reinforced what I said about bailing to get a free life. (Any driver with half a brain would blow your ass up to kingdom come before you got near them)

Of course I could always use that time to win the fight on foot against a superior enemy, but that doesn't fall within the constraints of your impenetrable logic birthed declaration that there is 'only one use for bailing'.
Again, see above...

Also, it would technically be before your tank was destroyed, not after. See, if you're in the tank when it explodes, you die.

Why not?
So what you're telling me is you've never fired at a vehicle in any FPS, they bail out before you destroy the vehicle denying you any experience when you clearly should've killed them, and you never care? Because it was a tactical move? Alright buddy. It's your opinion, after all.

Last edited by Zulthus; 2012-05-26 at 01:50 PM.
Old 2012-05-26, 01:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
Mechzz
Major

Oh, and while we're on the subject of occupants bailing at speed, I do hope the devs avoid the BF lameness where some derp can stick C4 on my tank when I'm rolling by at 40-60 mph. Feckers.
Old 2012-05-26, 01:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
Hmr85
Lieutenant Colonel

You just bailed out of your tank because you were about to die. If there were say, 5 shots left, you would have continued shooting me with your tank instead of running to me with C4. You just reinforced what I said about bailing to get a free life. (Any driver with half a brain would blow your ass up to kingdom come before you got near them)
./agree, Which is why I see no problem with people bailing. I am even in favor of SOE putting it cert tree somewhere farther up the line for tanks only.

The thing most people seem to not understand is even with bailing in the game. Some people become really attached to their vehicles. "All man this thing made it through the last 5 or 6 engagements. Look at all the bullet holes and damage on this thing." I am going to want it to last. Which means I am going to try and keep it alive even if bailing was put in as a option for tanks specifically. Reasoning because I have history with that vehicle.

Last edited by Hmr85; 2012-05-26 at 02:01 PM.
Old 2012-05-26, 02:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
Shamrock
Contributor
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by ArcIyte View Post
PS1 had the correct bailing mechanisms for ground vehicles

You could jump out of open-topped vehicles. Tanks required you to stop, get out, and had a big explosion radius when they blew up.

Anything less than that is dumbed down and a step backwards.
Totally agree, anything less and it will be heavily exploited.

Old 2012-05-26, 02:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
PeteHMB
Sergeant

http://youtu.be/FOaGhE_sejI

http://youtu.be/UJurYPXA_uw

Last edited by PeteHMB; 2012-05-26 at 02:49 PM.
Old 2012-05-26, 03:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
dm Akolyte
Corporal

Why not?
It's incredibly obvious you've never played PS1.
Old 2012-05-26, 03:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #56
PeteHMB
Sergeant

Originally Posted by dm Akolyte View Post
It's incredibly obvious you've never played PS1.
+1 Good luck with that C4 dude...
Old 2012-05-26, 07:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #57
Shanesan
Sergeant

You guys are really silly.

Light assault units driving and then bailing out will not effect your battle in any way. They bail out, you kill them. It's not like they're going to pull a random rocket launcher out of their bag. They're drivers. Light Assault. Without their armored vehicle against yours, they're as good at dead.
Old 2012-05-26, 07:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #58
Fuse
Sergeant

It worked wonderfully in the first game. We didn't have noobs bailing out left and right just trying to escape death. Do you know how damn annoying it will be to have every tank you shoot at the people bailed out and you don't get xp for the kill?
Or jumping in to moving vehicles right before you finish them off.

I agree, I loved the system in PS1. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Rolling armor was a choice in PlanetSide, something you were some-what committed to. This also kept randos from hopping in your turret just for a quick lift only to bail when the shooting started, without having to lock the vehicle all together.

I'm going to miss the animations simply because they added a lot to the immersion and sense of scale I got from the vehicles.
Old 2012-05-26, 07:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #59
Jimmuc
Corporal

if i can't bail from my c4 strapped ATV to send it into groups or off the cliff into a base then i'll be pretty mad lol
Old 2012-05-26, 07:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #60
Fuse
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Jimmuc View Post
if i can't bail from my c4 strapped ATV to send it into groups or off the cliff into a base then i'll be pretty mad lol
This is also a good reason this mechanic needs to be added.
It can be a lot of fun, but it really weakens armor in general. Seems to move the game more towards Battlefield, where noobs pile in tanks to die, than PlanetSide, where armor meant more than just waiting for a respawn; you have invested certs and some times a couple minutes of travel time. Only to get blown up by a zergling with ATV and CE speccd? No thanks.

Last edited by Fuse; 2012-05-26 at 08:16 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion