Friendly Fire ruins this game. - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: is Addictive
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-12-03, 03:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
Papagiorgio
Corporal

Re: Friendly Fire ruins this game.

FF is helpful overall to motivate good tactics and decrease spam. See any Metro map on BF3 with FF turned off for an example of what PS2 would look like with no FF.

I did have a problem of a TR logging on his NC alt to C-4 a key NC Sunderer at a tech plant defense last night. As soon as he C-4'd the sunderer, the defense crumbled and the TR moved in unopposed. Maybe SOE can make friendly vehicles immune or highly resistant to friendly C4 and AT mines, to prevent griefing in this way.

Papagiorgio, CR5 NC Markov
Old 2012-12-03, 03:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
VaderShake
First Lieutenant

If there was no friendly fire I could see everyone getting in a wedge and rushing head long into every building guns blazing firing through everyones back while Engineers rack up the EXP dropping ammo. Tanks blasting into doorways around their own troops. Aircraft lobbing shells/bullets into a crowed of their own team killing the enemy while their team skips along unharmed......NO THANKS....completely DUMBS DOWN THE GAME PLAY for more casuals and will create a spam fest of grenades and everything else...NO THANKS! Go play Metro on BF3 if you want that.
Old 2012-12-03, 06:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
Miffy
Sergeant

They do all that now............

You cannot put FF in to fix a poorly designed game.

Lots of well designed games don't have it for a reason, because FF IS NOT FUN!
Old 2012-12-03, 09:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
RSphil
Contributor
Major

FF is needed for this. the only problem is people not paying attention or just blasting away with no regard to friendlies. i dont mind it at all. if i kill someone and it was my fault i say sorry. if it was their fault for being an idiot i carry on as if nothing happend. fights would be massive cluster fucks if ff was not on. tactics and skill would be none existent as rushing through a door guns blazing would take over a base in no time.

with ff on you have to plan, fire and maneuver, communicate. this is what makes ps2 the great game it is. team work is needed and ff makes that happen. well most of the time lol
Old 2012-12-03, 10:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Miffy View Post
Lots of well designed games don't have it for a reason, because FF IS NOT FUN!
Perhaps you should play one of them. Those of us who think FF is fun and varying degrees of necessary can play this one. Everyone gets what they want!
Old 2012-12-04, 06:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #51
Miffy
Sergeant

Logged in, spawned a Mosq and the first thing someone does is TK's me in a lib, just one shotted :\

I've had enough, it isn't fun to have FF in a game like this.

Now I'm sitting AFK for 10 mins until the timer runs out
Old 2012-12-04, 06:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #52
Miffy
Sergeant

lmao as soon as I posted that I spawned at an amp station we're taking over, killed a Vanu and then got tk'd by one of my team who obviously meant to do it cause he kept shooting at me for ages....

uninstalled cannot be bothered.
Old 2012-12-04, 06:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #53
ShadetheDruid
First Lieutenant

Sometimes I wonder if either i'm magical, or I just picked really well when choosing a server, because I don't experience half the stuff people are always complaining about (constant TKs, constant tank spam etc).
Old 2012-12-04, 07:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #54
Juryrig
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by ShadetheDruid View Post
Sometimes I wonder if either i'm magical, or I just picked really well when choosing a server, because I don't experience half the stuff people are always complaining about (constant TKs, constant tank spam etc).
This. I see it occasionally, but not the 100% of the time, game-breaking experience that others report.

With regard to vehicles - esp aircraft - I've caused friendly fire incidents simply by being a n00b and crap at flying. Learning to land has seen me drop ESFs off of the landing pads onto troops/vehicles below. After the first time, I went looking for quieter places to practice.

I've also had Lib try to come down on a landing pad I've just landed on, and get bounced sideways off'f it.

I've also hit 'e' just after takeoff (I was aiming for 'd') and dropped out of the plane, leaving it to crash on other people whilst I observe helplessly from the landing pad.

So, yeah, sorry - but issues like that will go away as us newbies get used to things.

With regard to being hit by tank-spam at the vehicle pads.....how hard is it to wait a minute or so for the rush to clear? Wait till there's clear room to drive away from the pad before you spawn, so you know you won't get someone spawning right behind you when you've no room to move?

Look both ways before crossing the roads? If there's a tank column zerging all over the place, run along high ground/a ridge/keep yourself out from under the tracks?

I did swear when someone hit me with a Flash yesterday, despite me being stood on top of an outcrop and there being loads of opportunity to miss me...but 5 seconds later I've respawned so it's not a great loss.

As to friendly fire from weapons - Planetside 2 is meant to give the feeling of being in a Global warzone. The constant possibility of shooting your buddy in the back/being shot in the back in the confusion of battle is (for me) an inherent part of that.

For me, it doesn't detract from the enjoyment, it just increases the feeling of immersion. I absolutely wouldn't want to see it removed or reduced in any way.
Old 2012-12-04, 07:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #55
Sturmhardt
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Miffy View Post
Logged in, spawned a Mosq and the first thing someone does is TK's me in a lib, just one shotted :\

I've had enough, it isn't fun to have FF in a game like this.

Now I'm sitting AFK for 10 mins until the timer runs out
Thank God, one rocketeer less :P
Old 2012-12-04, 09:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #56
Oroshi
Private

FF has to stay, just think about the mess Tech Plant fights would become, defenders would just sit up on the Shield Generator Balcony and spam missiles at the point. this would apply for a lot of the map.

Things you can do to avoid FF
  • Unless your in close quarters don't spay and pray, use burst fire, so if some one does run out in front of you like a frighten deer, you won't kill them.
  • If lots of people are trying to kill the same target, fire at something else, who gave you right of way.
  • Don't spam Grenades when friendlies are about, you can not always control where it will go.
  • If you have to drive near friendly infantry, switch to 3rd person and slow down, you don't do 120 though a school cross in RL.
  • If some one is in a close quarter fight and you can't make the shot, don't do it, either let them kill them, or if the hostile wins, kill them afterwards.
  • When spawning ESF after burn straight out as soon as you get control, if the airspace is far to busy, how about taking a flash to another tower, and getting one there, after all it won't take long to get back again in an ESF.

Things you can do not to be the victim
  • Spread out, don't stand on top of each other. Too many tanks, try and flank the other side. Too much air go some where else. Too many infantry, look for another attack route.
  • Don't charge back into your own lines, some one will mistake you for a hostile
  • Don't stand in doorways, move to one side, use crouch so some one can shoot over you.
  • If your fighting at the point, beware of grenades, some nub will through one in even if you have killed all the hostiles, some people have slow reactions.
  • As said before look both ways when crossing a road
  • Don't stay in high traffic locations, like just out side a vehicle spawn, get your X and move on

Don't fight with the zerg, its is where all the nubs are, most of my FF incidents are around the zerg. More fun to be had if people spread out, less lag, better fights and more XP.

If some one TK's on purpose return the favor, my Outfit will hunt down TK's to make sure they decided to spawn else where.

Some times you need to TK, had it last night defending a Tech Plant, some one had set their Sunderer up in a bad place, we asked for it to be moved to a better location, even told them where to place it, they ignored it, so we tank mined it. It was that or lose the tech plant, I would rather see them get the XP, and still get a good fight.

So yes FF needs to stay it is part of the game, so you need to adapt to it, yes it needs a little tweaking. The only area I can see is when a generator blows, you should not get a TK, for the idiot who stood next to it. Everywhere else you had some degree of control over it, even when spawning a vehicle, you can check to see if the pad and run off are free.

I would like to see it toughed up, you shoot a friendly and stop with out killing then, you get your normal warning, you then continue to shoot at them, then you get a straight lock. After all the game warns you that your shooting a friendly.

Personally I've been Weapon locked once, hunting down a Team Killer, in Beta.
Old 2012-12-04, 09:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #57
Hamma
PSU Admin

Originally Posted by maradine View Post
Perhaps you should play one of them. Those of us who think FF is fun and varying degrees of necessary can play this one. Everyone gets what they want!
This.

Just think of the STUPID amount of spam if people didn't have to think about team damage. It would be pointless and not fun at all. Go play a game w/o FF if you don't like it.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion