News: Resolved - PS2 Region - Page 43 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: hamma freestyles like eminem
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-02-23, 08:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #631
ringring
Contributor
General

Re: PlanetSide 2 Will Be Region Locked (WTF Sony)

Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
That's actually something I've been wondering. Who gets the profit from the cash shop?

Obviously Pro7 will have to profit from this deal in some way, but it would seem very weird that SOE wouldnt basically earn anything off of PS2 EU.

I mean, who would just give our their product that cost a crapton to produce and say "Hey, you keep this running in EU just so we get known for making this game, no need to pay us!"

Cos I definitely want to support SOE for making the game and truth be told I also want to support Pro7 to keep the game up. I havnt played it yet, but I still foresee PS2 being a game comparable to APB for me, game where I spend more hours in than just about any other game, game that is totally unique and not replaceable by any other current title. I wouldnt want to see the game go down in EU just cos somebody didnt like the idea of paying just cos the game was published in EU by Pro7.
The only way it could work is if there is a split.
SOE will host and maintain the servers -> they need revenue
Pro7 will market and provide local support -> they need revenue too
Old 2012-02-23, 08:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #632
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
I skipped 33 pages of posts... can you just buy an American-retail copy of the game (presuming that's what the plan for issuing the game is) and log into a NA server?
As it's F2P I doubt there'll be retail copies...and it sounds like they're going to make it harder than that for people to play together.
Old 2012-02-23, 08:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #633
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by ringring View Post
The only way it could work is if there is a split.
SOE will host and maintain the servers -> they need revenue
Pro7 will market and provide local support -> they need revenue too
I would have no problem with Pro7 marketing, supporting and maintaining European servers in exchange for them profiting from European server cash shop sales. I just want all the servers on the same server list and the ability to play on them.
Old 2012-02-23, 08:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #634
dachlatte
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by IDukeNukeml View Post
He actually has a very very valid point, and he's very right as well.
good luck with the lawyers then

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Old 2012-02-23, 08:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #635
Wakken
Sergeant

Just checked alaplaya's forums... by the gods... that community seems awful! I have a very bad feeling about this.

Reality is simply an unrealistic version of online gaming.
Old 2012-02-23, 08:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #636
Shogun
Contributor
General

shut me out of beta just because i am not living in the usa?
but my money is good enough to take it?
screw it! no beta, no money!

and even if we get beta access, i will not pay for anything until i know that the guys who made the game get their share! so what is the deal about eu cash shop? will the revenue be shared between soe and pro7, or has pro7 bought the complete claim from the shop?
makes a difference for me because i have a lot of passion and love for the ps2 devs and want them to benefit from the game. but i don´t like pro7sat1 (not only because sat1 hired me once for a show and never paid) and i am not giving them money for nothing! for less than nothing, because it´s obviously their fault if i cannot play on american servers.

so if soe completely sold us (and our potential cash shop buys) to pro7, i´m not going to buy anything. if i get the option to use my soe account and play on us servers, i will only buy on their store.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2012-02-23, 08:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #637
FastAndFree
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Marsgrim View Post
Let us just be clear on this, SOE have been admanant and promised throughout that Planetside players/subscribers would be first priority on beta.
However, they never said that everyone from PS1 will get into beta... Just that the first wave will be from the PS1 players

Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
I skipped 33 pages of posts... can you just buy an American-retail copy of the game (presuming that's what the plan for issuing the game is) and log into a NA server?
That's the thing, we just don't know. But since no one from SOE or Pro7 popped up to say -It's cool guys, there will be no forced region lock. we can but expect the worst

Originally Posted by Wakken View Post
Just checked alaplaya's forums... by the gods... that community seems awful! I have a very bad feeling about this.
Have you been on the official PS forum recently?

Last edited by FastAndFree; 2012-02-23 at 09:00 AM.
Old 2012-02-23, 09:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #638
Wakken
Sergeant

Originally Posted by FastAndFree View Post
Have you been on the official PS forum recently?
Nope I just hang out here, on PSU ^^

Reality is simply an unrealistic version of online gaming.
Old 2012-02-23, 09:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #639
I SandRock
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
Pretty, but I dont care how bad of a company they would have publishing PS2, theres no way I'd skip it just cos I didnt like the publisher without trying the game at all. Naturally if it turns into a huge p2w fest (shouldnt, it seems SOE is still in charge of cash shop stuff) or the servers are outright horrible and unplayable, then I will sadly let go of PS2, but something like this could never stop me from at least trying to enjoy the game.

That's just retarded in my opinion.
Well, you supported G1 and their APB antics as well. So it doesn't surprise me. If Pro7 is anything like G1 (probably worse) that's a huge thing, that will probably cause the game to become much less popular and playable as when SOE ran it in EU themselves. I quit APB:R not so much cause of the game itself but because of G1 and how they ran it.

Sure, i'm going to try PS2 out either way simply for that nostalgic feeling of the memorable PS1 time, I never said otherwise. But i'm likely to quit faster than normal due to Pro7's amateur operations, just like G1's.
Old 2012-02-23, 09:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #640
FastAndFree
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Wakken View Post
Nope I just hang out here, on PSU ^^
I rest my case
Old 2012-02-23, 09:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #641
artifice
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Marsgrim View Post
We need yes or no clarification on the beta access for European players as well.

Let us just be clear on this, SOE have been admanant and promised throughout that Planetside players/subscribers would be first priority on beta. There's potential legal action there for false advertising/promises if this is not honoured for the EU players.
No, there isn't.
Old 2012-02-23, 09:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #642
Kran De Loy
Captain

Wasn't a large reason of this partnership so that Sony could lessen the huge loss they announced at the beginning of the month? So Pro7 essentially 'buys' SOE's EU customer base as an investment for later profits and Sony get's a large chunk of money or whatever so they don't look so bad to the their investors and whatnot. Sony is happy, Pro7 is happy while SOE and player base will live with it.

Look at it that way and everything should be good.

So the problems are coming from SOE/Sony wanting to keep what clients they still have left and Pro7 wanting to make good on their investment. But if Pro7 managed the servers and the cash part of the cash shop they'd be in position to handle any localized laws as well as making good on their investment. If SOE managed the actual itemization part of the cash shop they'd be able to keep the EU and the US on the relatively same page. Localization would only be needed for local servers and EU player wouldn't necessarily need to wait for it should they choose not to.

The only real reason I can think of for the segregation is the increasingly stricter laws and censorship in EU countries trying too hard to keep their laws from being by-passed.

To that end I say blame Germany as one of the most censored EU nations that I know of.

Bad German. Bad.

Last edited by Kran De Loy; 2012-02-23 at 09:22 AM.
Old 2012-02-23, 09:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #643
Coreldan
Colonel

Originally Posted by I SandRock View Post
Well, you supported G1 and their APB antics as well. So it doesn't surprise me. If Pro7 is anything like G1 (probably worse) that's a huge thing, that will probably cause the game to become much less popular and playable as when SOE ran it in EU themselves. I quit APB:R not so much cause of the game itself but because of G1 and how they ran it.

Sure, i'm going to try PS2 out either way simply for that nostalgic feeling of the memorable PS1 time, I never said otherwise. But i'm likely to quit faster than normal due to Pro7's amateur operations, just like G1's.
I was actually wondering if you would be the same Sandrock I'm familiar with from the forums Hello there!

But yes, while G1 either hasn't really been a marvellous publisher, the game to me is still amazing enjoyment and I wouldnt even consider stopping to play the game just cos I would go on a teenager rage about how I dont like how they run things.

While the argument is overused, but still, the game is free2play (as will be PS2). While there are "incentives"(good or bad) to pay for the game, but the base game is still pretty amazing even if you dont pay a dime for it.

I've criticized G1 myself, I just draw a limit to the point where I feel entitlement and actually be grateful they gave us a chance to play the game again. While I'm not physically that old, but I feel like saying "I'm too old to care anymore, I just want to enjoy the game".

Also, I guess I've just accepted it that sadly the entire gaming industry is floating towards f2p (or at least all the games I'd be interested in). I'm not a cheapskate so I wouldnt mind paying for the game and a sub perhaps too, but that's not up to me to decide. F2P comes with pros and cons, I accepted that long ago

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube

Last edited by Coreldan; 2012-02-23 at 09:57 AM.
Old 2012-02-23, 10:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #644
Spoof
Corporal

Who will host and manage the servers, ProSiebenSat.1 Games or SOE?
SOE will continue to host and manage the European servers for all games under this agreement.
According to that excerpt from the PoSiebenSat1 faq, SOE should still be responsible for patching, maintenance, scalability and performance?
Old 2012-02-23, 10:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #645
Gandhi
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Kran De Loy View Post
The only real reason I can think of for the segregation is the increasingly stricter laws and censorship in EU countries trying too hard to keep their laws from being by-passed.
I don't think that's a reason. The censorship here in Germany is with regards to violence in games, all they need to do is provide a low-violence version and let you play on whatever server you want with it (which is what TF2 and just about every other game I know does).

Nor does it have anything to do with VAT or EU law, because again all the purchasing can be handled through Pro7. Which server you actually play on has nothing to do with that aspect of it, especially since according to the FAQ SOE will still be running the EU servers.

The only reason to region lock that I can see is purely business interest. Pro7 wants exclusive "access" to all EU customers. Now considering purchasing and account management will be handled through Pro7 anyway no matter what server you play on this leads me to conclude the EU "experience" for PS2 and other games will be different from the US. This could mean later patches, later content, different items in the cash shops etc. And in fact this was hinted at already in the FAQ; among other things their answer to "Will updates for the U.S. and Europe occur at different times and will they contain different content?" doesn't actually answer either of those questions.
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion