News: Planetside 2 beta plans - Page 43 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Thongs are for free if your on PSU staff. No fair :(
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-07-14, 04:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #631
Timealude
Captain

Re: Planetside 2 beta plans

quick question does your account have to say active for you be able to get in for the beta?
Old 2012-07-14, 04:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #632
Hamma
PSU Admin

Nope

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-07-14, 04:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #633
bjorntju1
Captain

Originally Posted by TRex View Post
Indeed. We definitely need some idiot bashing from Firefly again in this thread

What I find amazing is what the developers have done in 6 months so far. It's quite breathtaking yet people still can't just wait a few more weeks.

I often wonder if people realize what beta is for, I get the impression many just look at this as a free demo, which it isn't.
It's not that people can't wait a few more weeks (atleast I can, however I'd rather have it sooner than later ofcourse ;P ) But we don't really have a confirmation of how much later the EU beta starts, that is what most people want to know. And you also have people who think beta is just a way to play the game earlier. Personally I want to get into beta to test it, but I am also really looking forward to get a taste of the game. I think I never have been as hyped for a game as this one.

However Smed replied to my question if we get in later with this:

no way. The truth is we don't know how long the tech test is going to last. Our guess is 1-2 weeks. Could be shorter. Could be longer. Not trying to dodge the question. it's just the straight up truth - we don't know what problems we're going to see.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/c...ymt0?context=3

I am not really sure if he means that we get into closed beta the same time as the US, or just talking about how long the tech test starts :P

He also said to someone else:

It takes longer to deploy patches to the EU server. During this very first part of the tech test we want a very high iteration rate. After we get through the first part it will be patched roughly at the same time.
So if I understand it correctly they do US only first since they have to deploy lots of patches in a very short time. And when they advanced in the technical test enough that they can put out fewer patches, they open up the EU closed beta/tech test. Atleast that is what I make of it

Last edited by bjorntju1; 2012-07-14 at 04:49 PM.
Old 2012-07-14, 04:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #634
Seagoon
Corporal

So while the tech test is at its worst it will be US only to keep the patches flowing fast, then they will start a parallel EU tech test and then the real closed beta would start simultaneously?
Old 2012-07-14, 04:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #635
bjorntju1
Captain

Originally Posted by Seagoon View Post
So while the tech test is at its worst it will be US only to keep the patches flowing fast, then they will start a parallel EU tech test and then the real closed beta would start simultaneously?
I think so yes, atleast that is what I make of it. I asked him now on reddit if the closed beta starts at the same time for us, and/or if we get in the technical test, but I do think we don't need to wait very long
Old 2012-07-14, 04:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #636
Timey
Staff Sergeant

It takes longer to deploy patches to the EU server.
*cough* What?

why the hell would it take longer to patch EU servers lol. Does this Smedley person know anything about anything he's talking about?

edit too late: that is Smedley's "would be" -cat when he typed the quoted sentence, thinking "no."

Last edited by Timey; 2012-07-14 at 05:05 PM.
Old 2012-07-14, 04:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #637
TRex
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Timey View Post
Not even. We Euros were just a bit worried. Sorry, I guess. Also, I do think Firefly is a pretty intellectual person; he would be burning you rather than us panicing Euros :]

e: t
I'm from the UK (though I plan on playing east coast US server) so I guess can be counted as euro too. Firefly is a cool guy.Nuff said.

I'm just trying to put into context the amazing amount of work the devs have done in an incredible short time frame, and the interaction with the community is great.

People need a little patience, everyone will get dibs at some point. If they aren't called up soon, it's for a good reason or sheer bad luck. But the end result is what we all want. No blackened basements and falling through floors.
Old 2012-07-14, 04:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #638
bjorntju1
Captain

Originally Posted by Timey View Post
*cough* What?
Yeah that is what I through't too. But they probably need to put out patches very fast, and it may take an hour longer on the EU server. That is not much, but if they need to put out 5 patches a day it gets more complicated.

And he also said:

After we get through the first part it will be patched roughly at the same time.
So we probably have nothing to worry about. I don't really mind that the EU get's patches/content updates later. But only if the time difference is a few hours, not days.

Last edited by bjorntju1; 2012-07-14 at 05:01 PM.
Old 2012-07-14, 05:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #639
BarrelRoll
Private

Really, I don't see why they have to use this other company for the european service anyway. There's not many advantages and really all it has done is just piss off many people.

Last edited by BarrelRoll; 2012-07-14 at 05:04 PM.
Old 2012-07-14, 05:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #640
Timey
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by TRex View Post
I'm from the UK (though I plan on playing east coast US server) so I guess can be counted as euro too. Firefly is a cool guy.Nuff said.

I'm just trying to put into context the amazing amount of work the devs have done in an incredible short time frame, and the interaction with the community is great.

People need a little patience, everyone will get dibs at some point. If they aren't called up soon, it's for a good reason or sheer bad luck. But the end result is what we all want. No blackened basements and falling through floors.
Firefly's pretty cool IMO too :]

Originally Posted by bjorntju1 View Post
Yeah that is what I through't too. But they probably need to put out patches very fast, and it may take an hour longer on the EU server. That is not much, but if they need to put out 5 patches a day it gets more complicated.

And he also said:

So we probably have nothing to worry about. I don't really mind that the EU get's patches/content updates later. But only if the time difference is a few hours, not days.
<3

We'll see soon.. I hope :]
Old 2012-07-14, 05:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #641
Mirror
First Sergeant

The main problem is the lack of details.

Yes it's good that Smed is posting on Reddit and giving answers but some of those answers are rather cryptic and are simply causing confusion.

Also why is there no mention of a separate/delay to beta for EU players in Higby's post?

It seems like they are taking the piss and there is very little internal communication going on between upper management and staff.
-Higby comes on and puts up a great post about beta that gets the whole community excited.
-The following day Smed decides to release info that the European players have to wait longer for reasons unknown. All the European players are now sad and simply want answers.

I simply can't believe that we are having to go over this AGAIN after that monster thread that was created in Feb/March about region locking.

http://www.deltatriad.com
Old 2012-07-14, 05:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #642
PilotJack
Private

Originally Posted by Mirror View Post
The main problem is the lack of details.

Yes it's good that Smed is posting on Reddit and giving answers but some of those answers are rather cryptic and are simply causing confusion.

Also why is there no mention of a separate/delay to beta for EU players in Higby's post?

It seems like they are taking the piss and there is very little internal communication going on between upper management and staff.
-Higby comes on and puts up a great post about beta that gets the whole community excited.
-The following day Smed decides to release info that the European players have to wait longer for reasons unknown. All the European players are now sad and simply want answers.

I simply can't believe that we are having to go over this AGAIN after that monster thread that was created in Feb/March about region locking.
This 1000 times over.
Old 2012-07-14, 05:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #643
SergeantNubins
Corporal

This is the problem with them handing off their service to prosieben. It just adds a layer of beaurocracy between them and the EU players. It's not good for the players and its not good for SOE.

This already confirms that there will be a difference in response times and service between what the NA players get and what the EU players get and that's frustrating. SWTOR had loads of problems because they treated EU players as 2nd class to NA, even though there were more of them.

It's a real shame because other than this there is nothing I can think of to criticise them about this whole process, they could have been spotless
Old 2012-07-14, 05:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #644
Wrekriem
Private

Tasty good.
Old 2012-07-14, 05:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #645
IronMole
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by BarrelRoll View Post
Really, I don't see why they have to use this other company for the european service anyway. There's not many advantages and really all it has done is just piss off many people.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion