Driver/Gunners... NO! - Page 47 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: stop blaming me for everything damnit
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-07-16, 11:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #691
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Driver/Gunners... NO!

Play with friends/outfit mates.

If your not in an outfit, you are doing it wrong.
Old 2012-07-16, 11:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #692
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

• Unified Driver/gunner works well in numerous other games.
  • This game was designed with unified driver/gunner in mind.
  • Team-play minded individuals are given an additional configurable crew slot that enhances the tank's lethality and, presumably, survivability.

It's really that simple. You don't have to like any of those points, but they are all, in fact, true.
Old 2012-07-16, 11:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #693
Sephirex
Major

I'm totally prepped for 50+ more pages of the exact same points being made over and over.
Old 2012-07-16, 11:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #694
KaB
Corporal

Originally Posted by maradine View Post
  • Unified Driver/gunner works well in numerous other games.
  • This game was designed with unified driver/gunner in mind.
  • Team-play minded individuals are given an additional configurable crew slot that enhances the tank's lethality and, presumably, survivability.

It's really that simple. You don't have to like any of those points, but they are all, in fact, true.
As your first point is totally wrong and your second probably not (did you actually already play PS2 ?), well no, it's not that simple. By giving nothing more than your opinion, you won't add anyting useful to this debate.
Old 2012-07-16, 11:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #695
Sephirex
Major

Originally Posted by KaB View Post
As your first point is totally wrong and your second probably not (did you actually already play PS2 ?), well no, it's not that simple. By giving nothing more than your opinion, you won't add anyting useful to this debate.
Your first point stating his opinion is wrong is also completely an opinion, further demonstrating the pointlessness of this entire thread.

Second point, you're totally correct. The developers are not developing Planetside 2 with 1 man tank game mechanics in mind.
In fact, I understand it's being balanced around mounted combat, which is really terrible since there's no horses.

Last edited by Sephirex; 2012-07-16 at 11:46 AM.
Old 2012-07-16, 11:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #696
vVRedOctoberVv
First Lieutenant

@Kab

I think anything "useful" quit being added to this debate 30+ pages ago...
Old 2012-07-16, 11:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #697
SgtExo
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Sephirex View Post
, I understand it's being balanced around mounted combat, which is really terrible since there's no horses.
LOL.
Old 2012-07-16, 11:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #698
Azren
Sergeant Major

Go to the thread in my sig and write down your opinion. I belive that suggestion should end this debate.
Old 2012-07-16, 11:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #699
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

I beg to differ.

Let's start with 2. The designers, by virtue of designing the game, have designed it around its own feature set. The second bullet is a tautology. If you would like to argue a tautology, I have nothing for you.

For your objection to number 1 to be valid, it would have to be false that there are multiple games where unified driver/gunner works well. Would you like me to list some for you? Or would that be a waste of my time and bandwidth? I'm being serious - if I say "Battlefield 3" and you say "Battlefield 3 was crap because the driver and gunner was unified", you've gone circular. If you would like to use circular logic, I have nothing for you.

I stand by the three assertions.

@Azren - I already agree that this would be a good thing to include. I'd even go so far as to say I don't care which option is the default state and which is the certed addition. My objection is to individuals who feel that it must be their way. I disagree, as does the current state of the game.

Last edited by maradine; 2012-07-16 at 11:54 AM.
Old 2012-07-16, 11:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #700
EnderGraff
Corporal

I think that the driver should have control of the maneuvering of the tank as well as the control of the main gun.
The gunner should have access to the secondary weapons such as a machine gun that can rotate 360 degrees around the tank to deal with infantry that the driver cannot see.

That honestly makes the most sense, as being nothing but a driver would be very boring.
Old 2012-07-16, 11:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #701
KaB
Corporal

Your first point stating his opinion is wrong is also completely an opinion, further demonstrating the pointlessness of this entire thread.
I felt Muuch more teamplay in every games featuring tanks requiring 3 pilots.

We can't just say "this game has no teamplay". However We can say this :"this game has more teamplay than this other one". And I just wanna compare Planetside 2 to a 4 hours game into Project Reality (less realistic than ArmA FYI) and you'll discover what IS teamplay. I can guarantee that Battlefield has no more teamplay since BF2.

Second point, you're totally correct. The developers are not developing Planetside 2 with 1 man tank game mechanics in mind.
In fact, I understand it's being balanced around mounted combat, which is really terrible since there's no horses.
I forgot the word "true". So his second point's probably wrong too. I hope this is how you understood it.

1 driver/gunner is just such a casual feature in a game which can hardly make it be anything else than a casual one. Which means fast success, and long death.
Old 2012-07-16, 12:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #702
Flaropri
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Azren View Post
Go to the thread in my sig and write down your opinion. I belive that suggestion should end this debate.
I find that debates don't end when people talk past each other, they just get "louder." Which is unfortunate especially when there are actually decent points to be had from (most) all participants.

Anywho...
Surely I can't be the only one that wants the Planetside version of this game:

Old 2012-07-16, 12:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #703
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Looks a lot prettier than Mount & Blade!
Old 2012-07-16, 12:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #704
Sephirex
Major

I'm glad a few people caught the joke of the mounted post, but sadly it seems I have to spell it out.

Arguing that a game with single driver/gunner tanks was designed and balanced for seperate driver/gunners is like saying a game without horses was designed for mounted combat.

Unfortunately, that's also why we'll probably never see separate driver/gunner's now that the game's so far along.

Also, War of the Roses looks awesome.

Last edited by Sephirex; 2012-07-16 at 12:25 PM.
Old 2012-07-16, 01:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #705
Azren
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Flaropri View Post
I find that debates don't end when people talk past each other, they just get "louder." Which is unfortunate especially when there are actually decent points to be had from (most) all participants.
Debates end when we find a solution both sides can agree on. That is what I posted in the idea vault (was actually suggested several times in this thread).

Nothing constructive was posted here for the last 20 pages, I think it is time to end the debate and talk of the solution's details.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion