Don't dumb down PS2 - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: The servers fux0rd the map wont change
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 2012-07-07, 07:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #61
Landtank
Second Lieutenant

Re: Don't dumb down PS2

Originally Posted by whymad View Post
OP I share your same fears,but this game is beyond dumbed down, and there's no changing it. This is what $OE wants they don't care about what us veterans want they are catering to the COD/BF kiddies since they have the $$.
Your actually one of my favorite posters on this forum, fo realsies
Old 2012-07-07, 07:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #62
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Buggsy View Post
How about spawn on squad, no AMS, no bombers, no flail, no multi-person vehicles, and "classes".

How will the mines be? One mine per person now?
Squad spawn will be limited, the set-it-and-forget it AMS has been replaced by a Galaxy that has to be deployed and defended or used to shuttle infantry from staging points, the Liberator bomber is in and has about eleventy-billion options for how to rain death on the enemy, the Flail was a PITA and we can do without, plenty of multiperson vehicles, and classes mean that not everyone will be running around with the same nanite gun, med gun, HA, and AV.

PlanetSide 2 has become simpler where it needed to be, and much more complex in others.

And as as others have said... Diablo 3? Really? You played the earlier games for their sophisticated game mechanics? I think if I introduced you to EVE Online, your head might explode.

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!
Old 2012-07-07, 07:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #63
TAA
Staff Sergeant

BF2142 had spawn on squad and spawn on that little device thing. I wasn't impressed. In fact it was obnoxious to have enemies pop up behind you after you cleared the area out.
That mechanic was incredibly important for helping friends play together as a squad. It meant that if you managed to protect your squad leader or the beacon, that you and your friends were always in the same area together rather than scattered all over the map.

I guess if one was playing alone that it may seem annoying.

You don't like BF3, COD, that's why you are here and not playing the "modern shooter". So obviously the "modern shooter" isn't all that great.
I have been playing FPS titles for as long as they have existed, and I think that some of the titles nowadays are amongst the best we have seen. BF3 is a great game. I may not like it as much as its predecessors, but it is still a fantastic game that I can sink endless hours into. COD I dont bother with, but I still think that COD4 was one of the best FPS titles ever made.

We are not here because we dont like the modern shooter. We are here because PS2 offers something we cant get from those shooters: massive scale and persistence. The changes that are being made are being made to appeal to us. We are the core demographic that this game is targeting. Not PS1 vets. Sure they will throw you a few scraps to keep you around, but lets face it - if the game population consisted of only PS1 vets every staff member involved in developing this game would get sacked.

Last edited by TAA; 2012-07-07 at 07:28 PM.
Old 2012-07-07, 07:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #64
Littleman
First Lieutenant

*All opinion.*
Just don't bother playing PS2. People whom have already made up their minds if a game will suck often find it will suck (in their opinion) because they're too obsessed with looking for every reason to back up their claim.

If PS1 had good tactical depth, then PS2's will be great. It's not just about fighting over tiny monochrome bases with a standard courtyard and cramped tunnels for hallways like we are now in Planetside 1: the entire continent is worth taking, piece by piece, and every piece not only has value, it's hand crafted so you know it won't feel like it was generated.

On the micro level, you have squads to properly balance around your plan of attack/defense for maximum combat efficiency. New entry points to the bases to infiltrate/hot drop on. But you wouldn't ever consider any of this because it's different from what you know. You downplay the tactic of someone infiltrating a contested area, finding a good, high spot and summoning in reinforcements, if limited in number, and from there, clear the installation from above instead of below as expected of you.

If you don't agree PS2's mechanics will likely open up new strategies and tactics PS1 simply didn't have, I suggest going back to your Quake III arena. You'll only find disappointment here, or anywhere in the 21st century really.

Last edited by Littleman; 2012-07-07 at 07:29 PM.
Old 2012-07-07, 07:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #65
Buggsy
Sergeant Major

So how does one "flank the enemy" if there is no frontline?

With galaxy spawning, and infantry spawning infantry, the frontline won't exist.

So toss out flanking as a valid tactic.
Old 2012-07-07, 07:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #66
OnexBigxHebrew
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by TAA View Post
That mechanic was incredibly important for helping friends play together as a squad. It meant that if you managed to protect your squad leader or the beacon, that you and your friends were always in the same area together rather than scattered all over the map.

I guess if one was playing alone that it may seem annoying.

I have been playing FPS titles for as long as they have existed, and I think that some of the titles nowadays are amongst the best we have seen. BF3 is a great game. I may not like it as much as its predecessors, but it is still a fantastic game that I can sink endless hours into. COD I dont bother with, but I still think that COD4 was one of the best FPS titles ever made.

We are not here because we dont like the modern shooter. We are here because PS2 offers something we cant get from those shooters: massive scale and persistence. The changes that are being made are being made to appeal to us. We are the core demographic that this game is targeting. Not PS1 vets. Sure they will throw you a few scraps to keep you around, but lets face it - if the game population consisted of only PS1 vets every staff member involved in developing this game would get sacked.
Amen. Nailed it from a player and business standpoint!
Old 2012-07-07, 07:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #67
Buggsy
Sergeant Major

That mechanic was incredibly important for helping friends play together as a squad.
Who cares, it destroyed a whole bunch of valid tactics in the process.

We are the core demographic that this game is targeting. Not PS1 vets. Sure they will throw you a few scraps to keep you around, but lets face it - if the game population consisted of only PS1 vets every staff member involved in developing this game would get sacked.
The game is going to financially bomb then if SONY thinks it can cannibalize the BF3/COD players.

Last edited by Buggsy; 2012-07-07 at 07:37 PM.
Old 2012-07-07, 07:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #68
ChookWantan
Corporal

With galaxy spawning, and infantry spawning infantry, the frontline won't exist.

You've got to be trolling.
Old 2012-07-07, 07:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #69
Buggsy
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Electrofreak View Post
Squad spawn will be limited, the set-it-and-forget it AMS has been replaced by a Galaxy
How can there be a frontline if the AMS can fly and infantry can spawn on infantry?

This isn't getting more complex it is dumbing down.

Originally Posted by ChookWantan View Post
#3 ignore list
Old 2012-07-07, 07:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #70
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

The frontline is that Galaxy. Are you dense?

Did you play PS1? Did you notice how you fought over a tower, and then a short while later, you were spawning from an AMS at the back door? Where did the front line actually move when that AMS snuck up behind the enemy base and deployed? It didn't, it jumped forward to the nearest AMS, hidden in a cloaking bubble. When you actually have to move a highly visible Galaxy forward while defending it, and set up infantry to protect its LZ, there's much more of a front line. I also anticipate seeing the more frequent use of transport vehicles.

Face it, PlanetSide made battles easier by not requiring us to fight over land, but over the distance between the AMS and the Control Center or Gen Room. PS2 changes this for the better.

I was an AMS driver for a long time, and I'm glad to see it go.

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!

Last edited by Electrofreak; 2012-07-07 at 07:47 PM.
Old 2012-07-07, 07:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #71
TheSaltySeagull
Sergeant

Originally Posted by ChookWantan View Post
That was made obvious when he started touting that anybody who post on here cant like any other "modern" game else we would be playing it and not posting here.
Old 2012-07-07, 07:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #72
Buggsy
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Electrofreak View Post
The frontline is that Galaxy. Are you dense?
No, a point in space only creates a perimeter, not a LINE. Not a FRONT LINE which has a REAR, FORWARD, and FLANKING positions. And since you can fly it, there is also no strategic line of battle either. Just fly it around to anywhere you want.

Did you play PS1? Did you notice how you fought over a tower, and then a short while later, you were spawning from an AMS at the back door? Where did the front line actually move when that AMS snuck up behind the enemy base and deployed? When you actually have to move a Galaxy forward while defending it, and set up infantry to protect its LZ, there's much more of a front line.
Now imagine if the AMS can fly, and infantry can spawn on infantry.

Face it, PlanetSide made battles easier by not requiring us to fight over land, but over the distance between the AMS and the Control Center or Gen Room.
Actually the AMS is much more easily destroyed enroute than the galaxy = no frontline for PS2.
Old 2012-07-07, 07:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #73
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by OnexBigxHebrew View Post
Almost all of BF3's maps (excluding Close Quartars) are 10x the size of CoD maps, what are you smoking? The games are alike in lore/setting only.
That is only a technicality. BF3 maps still aren't big enough, plus, the game is still designed to be very nearly as fast paced as CoD. As I say, it's a technicality, because the actual playable area of a BF3 map is a lot smaller than the overall map size. Sure, in some maps you can travel a good distance before you hit the out of bounds, but the flags are all packed in the middle of the map, so functionally, it doesn't matter. This is a big deal, seriously. When the flags are all stuck in the middle of the map it makes a difference. Also, BF3 is 64 players, CoD is not, that matters as well. Functionally -it is most definitely a fast pace meatgrind just like CoD.

Originally Posted by GreatMazinkaise View Post
Not necessarily true, but the OP's post is too sweeping in its condemnation... ADS is still a hobbling mechanic designed to kill twitch gaming, but character customization can go a long way toward overcoming that handicap (which is a wonderful feature of the new paradigm).
Did you mean strafing and jumpshooting gaming? Twitching your aim onto the target is just as important in ADS gameplay. In a technical sense,, ADS may "hobble" you by forcing you to stop/walk to get a good shot, but that shouldn't be taken as a negative, it's my firm belief that most people are not looking for the ability to fire while moving quickly. But as you say - character customization affects this, because things like MAXes will surely be able to fire while moving.

Last edited by Stardouser; 2012-07-07 at 07:47 PM.
Old 2012-07-07, 07:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #74
ChookWantan
Corporal

Now I'm on the ignore list too lolol
Old 2012-07-07, 07:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #75
Littleman
First Lieutenant

We are not here because we dont like the modern shooter. We are here because PS2 offers something we cant get from those shooters: massive scale and persistence. The changes that are being made are being made to appeal to us. We are the core demographic that this game is targeting. Not PS1 bitter-vets. Sure they will throw you a few scraps to keep you around, but lets face it - if the game population consisted of only PS1 vets every staff member involved in developing this game would get sacked.
FTFY and I 100% support this statement. I happen to be a vet, and am looking forward to the new modern shooter mechanics being introduced into Planetside. Unreal Tournament game play is fun... in a small arena setting. Planetside 2's gameplay isn't taking place in a small arena setting.

Don't play ignorant, or are you really that incapable of thinking outside of PS1's game play? The frontline is precisely where the red meets blue, blue meets purple, purple meets red, OR where purple, blue, and red meet. Somewhere along that stretch, their is a weak defense ripe for punching through. Circle a force around to the flank of the enemies main forces and attack from two sides. On the micro level, this means moving in a way that negates your opponents cover while offering yourself cover.

Galaxy spawning is no different from AMS spawning, the mobile spawn just FLIES now. Try and wrap your head around that concept! I'll give you a few hours... And perhaps you should watch the skies those drop pods carrying the squad leads troops, much less the GALAXIES that could be dropping TWO whole squads on top of your base. I'm pretty sure the galaxy hot-drop concept isn't brand spanking new! I could be wrong though!

Let's take a step back and actually watch some videos and do some in depth searches into how things are expected to work before we make yet another thread on how PS2 is somehow even more dumbed down than PS1 ever was and that SOE should be catering to the 2 dozen veterans that DON'T like any of the changes instead of the potential thousands of players (needed for PS2 to succeed + the 2 dozen veterans) that would be fairly happy with the current model of FPS gaming in their MMOFPS.
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion