Is anybody else suffering from burnout? - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Better than late night television
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-04-04, 01:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #61
Furber
First Sergeant

Re: Is anybody else suffering from burnout?

Well guys, don't forget that they're going to be at PAX East, so hopefully we'll get something good out of that!

I feel like since they've released all that alpha footage, they may be more likely to give us some other videos *crosses fingers*
Old 2012-04-04, 01:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #62
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by CyclesMcHurtz View Post
The most important part of the modelling and texturing is to have a single one done completely and optimized by the art and coding teams. The earlier you start making all of the variations, the more work you end up redoing when the coding or design team make changes for balance or optimization reasons.
That's the part that worried me about the Magrider design. The designers or art team locked in on their vision making it nearly impossible to change. I hope they take your wisdom as they design the other vehicles and weapons.

Regarding not getting burned out I normally skip threads that don't relate to gameplay. I'm glad I didn't skip this one.
Old 2012-04-04, 06:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #63
Hermes
Contributor
Master Sergeant

Pretty busy atm - so not really burnt out here.

Old 2012-04-04, 07:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #64
Brusi
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
Regarding not getting burned out I normally skip threads that don't relate to gameplay. I'm glad I didn't skip this one.
Thats the problem! sometimes i'll let a thread go without reading cause it sounds like i'm not missing much from the subject, and then when i finally have a look... the thread is awesome!

Gotta read em all

”You can have hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players in these massive cluster-fuck battles

Matt Higby on the scope of Planetside 2
Old 2012-04-04, 07:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #65
KALU
Master Sergeant

<begin personal note>
I want to clear up a misconception about general game development right here. All you need for a majority of power balance and game mechanics play testing is placeholder models and animations. There are exceptions to this rule, and serious character-interaction games (i.e. Action games like Street Fighter, DC Universe Online, Diablo) require a different flow of development than a level-based platformer or open-world games.

The most important part of the modelling and texturing is to have a single one done completely and optimized by the art and coding teams. The earlier you start making all of the variations, the more work you end up redoing when the coding or design team make changes for balance or optimization reasons.

This doesn't mean you save the modelling for the last weekend before release of course, but the idea that you can't test and balance before the animations and modelling are done in a game like this would be a little bit off the mark.
</end personal note>
Confirms IMO that we will all be in beta soon, with a light armor class to play - along with a few vehicles as they did in beta.
Old 2012-04-04, 07:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #66
Kran De Loy
Captain

Originally Posted by KALU View Post
Confirms IMO that we will all be in beta soon, with a light armor class to play - along with a few vehicles as they did in beta.
You say that as if Higby and one or two other guys didn't say the same thing in the GDC videos. "Next couple of months" in early March to me means before June. Even if it's not until mid june tho I'll still .. I can't put it into words...

http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs/140953_o.gif
Old 2012-04-04, 08:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #67
Snipefrag
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
The butterfly is swift, elegant, beautiful and sometimes deadly.
What fricken butterflies have you been seeing ?!
Old 2012-04-04, 09:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #68
Owalpo

Originally Posted by Kran De Loy View Post
You say that as if Higby and one or two other guys didn't say the same thing in the GDC videos. "Next couple of months" in early March to me means before June. Even if it's not until mid june tho I'll still .. I can't put it into words...

http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs/140953_o.gif
I actually think he said over the next couple of months in that interview, which could even be sooner.
Old 2012-04-04, 09:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #69
SGTalon
Contributor
Sergeant

If this is really 9 months until release i am definitely going to be burnt out. I am sick of SWTOR. I don't see anything else that is going to stir my interest. Could be a crappy gaming summer if Beta is too limited.

Virtual Hitmen - www.vhm.guildlaunch.com

TR for Life!
Old 2012-04-04, 09:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #70
Hamma
PSU Admin

Originally Posted by Tapman View Post
For all of those who didn't pay attention or were not around at the time, Smed's initial statement about Beta starting in a few months was before the team had decided to turn it into a proper sequel instead of just converting Planetside into the new engine and making it f2p.
This is correct - it was also a bit more than a year ago.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-04-04, 09:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #71
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

I was at this point last Oct/Nov, but I am pretty sure it was caused by the fun I was having flying in SWG, compounded by the anxiety over its impending closure. Heck, I was so crazy at the time I even resubbed to WoW for the annual pass... I barely even play WoW...

Anyhow, I am much more casually excited about PS2 these days. There's only so much time in the day and I barely have time to play EQ2/WoW as it is, so realistically even when I drop everything to play PS2 it's not like I'll be playing it 24/7 anyhow. So why let myself get all in a tizzy about it now?
Old 2012-04-06, 02:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #72
Cosmical
Contributor
Cosmic Comics

<begin personal note>
I want to clear up a misconception about general game development right here. All you need for a majority of power balance and game mechanics play testing is placeholder models and animations. There are exceptions to this rule, and serious character-interaction games (i.e. Action games like Street Fighter, DC Universe Online, Diablo) require a different flow of development than a level-based platformer or open-world games.

This doesn't mean you save the modelling for the last weekend before release of course, but the idea that you can't test and balance before the animations and modelling are done in a game like this would be a little bit off the mark.
</end personal note>
Haha i do one flame and i get a big reply. What i meant really was that we arnt going to be play testers that are running around blank environments with stationary avatars without animation. People were acting like Beta was next week. I was trying to make them realise it isnt.

I did go on to say that my aproximate time frame was based on how far along you guys were going to get most assets looking before you decide to flex your beta muscles. Which could take as long or as little time as you guys see fit.

Thanks for the info tid bit though.
Chinese New Year 1 / Chinese New Year 2 A Comic about mediocrity.... and bizarre stuff.

Last edited by Cosmical; 2012-04-06 at 02:34 PM.
Old 2012-04-06, 04:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #73
Graywolves
General

I'm just waiting at this point.
Old 2012-04-08, 05:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #74
Atheosim
Captain

What I'm especially burned out on are the forums and waiting around for miniscule tidbits of information that are only a slight variation of previous iterations that could possibly imply a feature's existence that we might not have guess at or confirmed before. I just want to play the game already and get on with whether it's shitty or it's not.
Old 2012-04-08, 05:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #75
Knocky
Major

i remember the years that i followed SWG's development.

This time span so far is nothing.

Especially since i log into PS and still have fun.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion