The Vanu MAX so needs a redesign. - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Vanu : killing you over and over again...because we care.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-06-01, 08:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #61
Serpent
Staff Sergeant

Re: The Vanu MAX so needs a redesign.

I like the Warhammer 40K Tau suggestion. It looks beefier, and put purple on that and it'll look fantastic IMO.

The current VS MAX looks too much like a thin but tall giant... meaning they basically took a person and stretched him, but didn't give him extra muscle or anything to help it along.

... And the Crab arms need to go, either make it look like a crab or don't, lol...

Personally inspiration from the Supreme Commander could be good too

Last edited by Serpent; 2012-06-01 at 08:14 PM.
Old 2012-06-06, 12:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #62
OutlawDr
Contributor
First Sergeant

Well after watching the live stream I think that the VS max DOES need a redesign.

Honestly the old VS max looked better. This new one almost looked like medium armor in some instances. It needs some beefyness or more distinction from medium armor. The crab arms looked awkward just like the pictures indicate...hes about to tip over forward.

The reason the concept art looks good was because it had a unique looke with its armor and shoulder pads being more vertical, organic and spiky. Its gun was also not a crab arm that was hand heavy but well balanced on the arm and looks like a weapon.

TR and NC max looked good

Last edited by OutlawDr; 2012-06-06 at 12:09 AM.
Old 2012-06-06, 12:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #63
Koenside
Private

I am rather disapointed with my faction's choice in MAX design, however I think it has a distinct advantage being a more slender target and all

I'm in love with every other VS specific model except the MAX..
Old 2012-06-06, 12:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #64
AssassinGT
Private

I think the design is fine, however it's the awkward upright stance that's giving it the gay crab feel. They have to edit that, I mean it's perched up so awkward that I always felt it was just an alpha/beta thing that they haven't been able to give it a proper animation set.

Here I've uploaded a photoshop edit of the stance to give you an idea of what i'm talking about. It definitely has great potential. Just needs the final wax and polish to get it looking shiney.

EDIT: Also uploaded a comparison shot for ref.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VR-MAX-Stance.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	321.3 KB
ID:	556   Click image for larger version

Name:	VR-MAX-Compare.jpg
Views:	566
Size:	372.5 KB
ID:	557  

Last edited by AssassinGT; 2012-06-06 at 12:59 AM.
Old 2012-06-06, 01:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #65
windlord
Corporal

It makes me think of Power Rangers but I don't mind it myself.
Old 2012-06-06, 02:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #66
hawksteppa
Private

i should care wat my new max looks like..... all i wanna know is .....does it carry big f****n guns......how hard do those guns hit......and do i got jump jets...... it had better be f****n purple.....

Last edited by hawksteppa; 2012-06-06 at 02:18 AM.
Old 2012-06-06, 02:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #67
Redshift
Major

Tbh it makes sense that the fishheads should own the crabMAX
Old 2012-06-06, 04:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #68
Dr Dinocrusher
Private

Honestly, I think a weapon redesign and a slight shortening of the shoulders (or slimming them out) would go a long way to making me like the VS mech. I couldn't get the idea of a space crab out of my head while watching the stream whenever it went to a VS MAX's perspective. The screenshots just make it look silly too. The guns are too bulky in my opinion to really fit the rest of the mech, they need to be elongated a bit.
Old 2012-06-06, 06:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #69
EVILoHOMER
Major

Seeing it in motion the suit doesn't look as bad as the screenshots did to me. However it does look friendly and not something to be scared of like the other two suits so it does need something a little extra.
Old 2012-06-06, 07:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #70
UKSwiFT
Corporal

It looks much better in-game, but I still have to say it looks pretty terrible. Each to their own I guess!
Old 2012-06-06, 07:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #71
Kran De Loy
Captain

It looks beautiful! Only changes I'd even consider doing to it would

-move the guns a little farther back on the forearms or extend them a little bit past the elbows (like a second thin shell piece that begins near the middle of the weapon then forms a point back slightly behind and to the outside of the elbow a bit like an shield used as a little bit of extra armor),
-make the hand's visible (like they're actually holding onto the weapons that are also connected to the forearm near the elbow),
-and change the stance of the animations a little like how AssassinGT photoshopped.

In that order.

Last edited by Kran De Loy; 2012-06-06 at 07:31 AM.
Old 2012-06-06, 07:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #72
CutterJohn
Colonel

Originally Posted by AssassinGT View Post
I think the design is fine, however it's the awkward upright stance that's giving it the gay crab feel. They have to edit that, I mean it's perched up so awkward that I always felt it was just an alpha/beta thing that they haven't been able to give it a proper animation set.

Here I've uploaded a photoshop edit of the stance to give you an idea of what i'm talking about. It definitely has great potential. Just needs the final wax and polish to get it looking shiney.

EDIT: Also uploaded a comparison shot for ref.
Definitely helps, but the weapons are still way too massive and stick out in front too far. Its like its holding pistols.
Old 2012-06-06, 08:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #73
AssassinGT
Private

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Definitely helps, but the weapons are still way too massive and stick out in front too far. Its like its holding pistols.
I agree the weapons could have been a bit more "integrated" with the hands.
Old 2012-06-06, 08:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #74
bigcracker
Sergeant Major

I for one like the VS max the only thing I do not like about it holds the weapons,I think in a different pose it look cooler.
Old 2012-06-06, 08:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #75
kertvon
Sergeant

I thought it looked okay in the video although thus far I did like it the least of all of the max designs. It seems better in practice than in screenies. The concept art does look better for some reason though. I like the zone of the enders feel, but in the concept art it seemed like the shoulders had a different feel to them.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion