Please remove Vehicle seat swapping. - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: One Long Island iced tea away from heaven.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-07-17, 04:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #61
Littleman
First Lieutenant

Re: Please remove Vehicle seat swapping.

Originally Posted by bullet View Post
I don't see this as a realistic or fantasy issue, it more along the lines of imbalanced.

This is a situation I just thought of:
Enemy A is being shot upon by Enemy B. Enemy A notices that there is an unmanned tank sitting 10 meters away so he runs over to it and has 100x more armor and 100x more fire power instantly. If there was some delay to the entering or start up of the vehicle, Enemy B could have a chance to escape or prepare himself for the encounter. Since there is no delay, enemy A blows enemy B away and walks/drives away.

Edit: More so an enter/exit issue, but same general idea applies to be equipped for any situation.
There is an exit delay, entry I think is instant but there's a start up time involved before they have control of the craft.

Anyone else ever notice how all the people AGAINST seat switching, entry/exit think it's all instant, when we have evidence point to there being time involved? Am I wrong in saying that it's only the uneducated posters on this board having panic attacks over every minor detail?
Old 2012-07-17, 04:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #62
Azren
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Canaris View Post
I'm opposed to hot swapping seats when airborne or on the move, I think you should have to be on the ground or not moving to do it.
Agreed
Old 2012-07-17, 04:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #63
Stardouser
Colonel

You're saying you wouldn't TRY to kill the guy as hes running to it? You would instantly GTFO?

This is going back to PS1 and could be easily replicated in PS2. You have to get out of your vehicles to cap points. In PS1, bases were littered with empty vehicles during a base cap. In PS2, vehicles could be sitting around unmanned while the infantry are inside capping points. Yes, a lot of people will have driver's position locked to squad/self. Why would people lock ALL the seats? The general player doesn't care who guns their tank.
I'm saying it's your choice. In games that have a lower TTK, such as how PS2 will be, you can actually kill people before they reach a vehicle. It should be the same in PS2. And if it is possible, then you have a viable option either way.

And abandoned vehicles are very much C4 bait. And honestly this is an argument for allowing players to get into abandoned enemy vehicles, even if you can't hack them.

Last edited by Stardouser; 2012-07-17 at 04:58 PM.
Old 2012-07-17, 04:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #64
Azren
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Littleman View Post
There is an exit delay, entry I think is instant but there's a start up time involved before they have control of the craft.

Anyone else ever notice how all the people AGAINST seat switching, entry/exit think it's all instant, when we have evidence point to there being time involved? Am I wrong in saying that it's only the uneducated posters on this board having panic attacks over every minor detail?
Watched the latest videos. It is instant. You can even jump in a flying liberator. You can even bomb for your own liberator. All hail Planetside 2: Solo Edition
Old 2012-07-17, 04:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #65
Flaropri
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by KTNApollo View Post
Anybody that wants seat hot-swapping has been brainwashed by games like BF3. Hot-swapping needs to be removed for the same reason enter/exit animations need to be added (or atleast a delay upon entering/exiting).

Scenario

I'm getting shot down in my Liberator with only one friend in it. He swaps to the tailgun in order to deal with the pesky Scythe on my tail. He takes it down. We need repairs. He swaps back to the bomber seat, eliminates some ground forces, allowing us to land. We land, hop out, and start repairing. Before we're done repairing a Magrider shows up and starts lobbing us with hits. We instantly hop inside (no enter animations, no delay) and take off into the air. My friend accidentally hopped into the tailgun, but no worries, he hot swaps into the bomer seat and destroys the Magrider.

What I have posed above is my main concern about no enter/exit animations and hot-swapping.
If you're enemies come at you one at a time it could be a believable scenario (no land-based AA while you're against the Scythe, no other Scythes or gunships while dealing with ground targets).

If the Magrider that takes you by surprise has any skill or a second crew themselves they should easily be able to take you out before you can destroy them, even if your friend jumps into the right slot to begin with. Remember that entry-exit might currently be instant, but that doesn't mean you can get a good distance from the enemy or the ground (while being bombarded no less) instantly as well.

Overall, I think your concerns are fairly unlikely to be realized.
Old 2012-07-17, 04:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #66
Redshift
Major

I don't like it, half of higbys videos seem to be him driving up to someone swapping seats and killing them, the swapping back and driving off.
That's just horrible design.
Old 2012-07-17, 04:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #67
Littleman
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Azren View Post
Watched the latest videos. It is instant. You can even jump in a flying liberator. You can even bomb for your own liberator. All hail Planetside 2: Solo Edition
One word: testing.

Here's something from E3 for ya:

http://wiki.planetside-universe.com/ps/Liberator

I doubt they removed the certifications. I don't promise they'll be there at release, mind you, but this very issue was clearly a thought they had considered at one point in time.
Old 2012-07-17, 04:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #68
bullet
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
I'm saying it's your choice. In games that have a lower TTK, such as how PS2 will be, you can actually kill people before they reach a vehicle. It should be the same in PS2. And if it is possible, then you have a viable option either way.

And abandoned vehicles are very much C4 bait. And honestly this is an argument for allowing players to get into abandoned enemy vehicles.
Why would you go around C4ing empty vehicles? No this is an arguement about the issue of entering a vehicles (sorry to hijack the post) that are not yours, but your factions. Not every attacking faction member will be inside, there will be people who are running to get back inside after getting killed or who are just arriving.

One word: testing.

Here's something from E3 for ya:

http://wiki.planetside-universe.com/ps/Liberator

I doubt they removed the certifications. I don't promise they'll be there at release, mind you, but this very issue was clearly a thought they had considered at one point in time.
So I'm uneducated because they are discussing behind closed doors on what they want done with it? As it stands right now, its instant. Nicely done.

Last edited by bullet; 2012-07-17 at 04:59 PM.
Old 2012-07-17, 04:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #69
Azren
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by EnderGraff View Post
To clarify something, when a pilot swaps seats to, lets say a gunner position in a lib, wouldn't the plane begin to descend rapidly, as if there was no pilot at all?.
There is a video of just this. The guy dies trying, but it is far from being impossible. If you fly mid height at normal speed you can easily jump into the belly gun and get some shots off before it gets dangerous.

Here is the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...VnLrgQ#t=1475s
Old 2012-07-17, 04:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #70
Stardouser
Colonel

Why would you go around C4ing empty vehicles? No this is an arguement about the issue of entering a vehicles (sorry to hijack the post) that are not yours, but your factions. Not every attacking faction member will be inside, there will be people who are running to get back inside after getting killed or who are just arriving.
Why wouldn't you C4 empty vehicles? First there will probably be points for them and secondly, for the very purpose of preventing the enemy from getting back into them and using them.
Old 2012-07-17, 05:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #71
bullet
First Sergeant

Why wouldn't you C4 empty vehicles? First there will probably be points for them and secondly, for the very purpose of preventing the enemy from getting back into them and using them.
Oh, I forgot we have those little backpacks of infinite ammo. Nvm, blow them all apart then. Issue solved!

Edit: Ok, that was a dickhead comment. This isnt BF3 where there are 2 tanks per map. People will come with many vehicles. I doubt you would have that much C4 to blow them all up, unless the little infintie ammo backpacks are actually there...

Last edited by bullet; 2012-07-17 at 05:03 PM.
Old 2012-07-17, 05:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #72
Stardouser
Colonel

Oh, I forgot we have those little backpacks of infinite ammo. Nvm, blow them all apart then. Issue solved!
No, but then, isn't this the moment where everyone brings up the scale/player count? If you don't have the ammo, your squadmate might. Even empty vehicles are threats.
Old 2012-07-17, 05:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #73
Littleman
First Lieutenant

Pshaw... you're not thinking long term!

You C4 the tank, wait for someone to get into or near the tank, THEN press the big red button.
Old 2012-07-17, 05:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #74
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Littleman View Post
Pshaw... you're not thinking long term!

You C4 the tank, wait for someone to get into or near the tank, THEN press the big red button.
You know what would even better? C4 a tank, wait for someone to get in it, drive it into a Lodestar(which I know doesn't currently exist in PS2), then blow it up.

Or if you could put them on enemy infantry wait til they get into a Galaxy.
Old 2012-07-17, 05:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #75
Littleman
First Lieutenant

You know what would even better? C4 a tank, wait for someone to get in it, drive it into a Lodestar(which I know doesn't currently exist in PS2), then blow it up.

Or if you could put them on enemy infantry wait til they get into a Galaxy.
Boomers this time around are going to be so much fun
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion