aircraft control - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: It won't hurt a bit!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-06-02, 09:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #61
Runlikethewind
Private

Re: aircraft control

Joystick or mouse......how 'bout NEITHER!!!!

Trackball FTW. Seriously though, I been using one for years and you never have to pick it up and move it around.
Old 2012-06-02, 10:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #62
SoNaR
Corporal

Misc Info

I'm hoping the aircraft handle something like the 2142 gunships, although without the auto correct.
Old 2012-06-02, 10:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #63
Zulthus
Colonel

Mouse over joystick any day for games other than flight sims; Joysticks are bad at accuracy and keeping a bead on a target compared to a mouse. I can maneuver with a mouse just as well as someone with a joystick, it isn't hard. They're just for looks and taking up desk space.
Old 2012-06-02, 10:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #64
Saintlycow
Sergeant Major

Mouse, because my skill needs to be handicapped or I'd never get shot down
Old 2012-06-02, 11:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #65
TeaReks
Private

A proper joystick may be needed with the new flight model. I know mapping my rudder pedals to side strafe is going to be fun.
Old 2012-06-04, 11:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #66
Kaelius
Private

I'm surprised no one has mentioned used a Xbox 360 controller for flight. Yes you can argue it lacks percussion but that's only if you have fat fingers or unable to have a fine touch in your thumb movement. Practicing control is key.

Right thumb-stick for standard joystick pitch / roll
Left thumb-stick for side strafe / vertical strafe
I think having a thumb-stick for vertical strafe would be handy for scythes from the comment on the live-stream about it has as much vertical strafe as it does forward and backwards movement (unless i misheard it)

Right trigger weapon
Right bumper switch weapon / flares
Left trigger throttle
Left bumper Air brake / Reverse

Map the other buttons for other uses

====
Also would really want trackIR support.

And dump 3rd person in Aircraft completely. If the reasoning behind letting aircraft be the only 3rd person available vehicle is for people to be able to see what they can fit into, let people learn by trail and error what they can and cannot fit into. Just like tanks and other vehicles are going to have to.
Old 2012-06-04, 12:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #67
Landtank
Second Lieutenant

Saying that speed trumps all doesn't really have any merit whatsoever, especially considering that 99% of flyers won't understand how to manage the momentum of their aircraft, especially in a heated battle. Each of these aircraft require a different skill set, and each is capable of destroying the other in a 1v1 fight, regardless of maneuverability or speed.

The Reaver's heavy weapons and armor will allow it to outlast its enemy, and destroy them if they make even one mistake. The Mosquito can take advantage of its speed and attempt to keep the enemy where the pilot wants them. The Scythe looks like it will be the most versatile flying platform, but the weakest.

I shall laugh as I annihilate your puny aircraft will my Reaver, just as I did in planetside 1.
Old 2012-06-04, 12:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #68
TeaReks
Private

Take Aces High for example. Its a WW2 online combat sim. There are planes that can fly 100 mph faster than others, some that can turn tighter or climb higher.

I am a decent pilot, but because of how different the planes are I can take on a great pilot if I am in the plane that I am most comfortable in and he is not. Certain bombers such as the A-20 when flown light can rip apart fighters because of how heavily armed and armored they are.

Speed is great for running but when you get into the meat of a battle how often are you able to keep top speed and the cross-hairs on the target? I expect with the new flight model there to be a change so drastic that most of the better PS1 pilots will be unprepared for air combat in PS2.

That being said, some of the best sim pilots I know still use mouse and keyboard. We all know they wont go full sim, but imo the closer they get to that and the further from arcade the longer the game will be playable.
Old 2012-06-04, 12:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #69
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

I am so looking forward to swooping around in a ps2 reaver. Just being above all of the shit thats going on the ground. Turning and diving, ultimate speed control with my hota joystick... This is gonna rock!!!
Old 2012-06-04, 12:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #70
Satexios
Sergeant

Proud owner of this one ^

I hope I can make good use of it in PS2 as it works wonders in flight sims and WWII Online.
Old 2012-06-04, 12:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #71
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

After I broke my second joystick (and didn't fly for a couple of years), I used the mouse to fly in Star Wars Galaxies. The default controls, so I ended up with the following, which seemed natural,

Left Mouse: Roll Left
Right Mouse: Roll Right
Middle Mouse: Booster
Mouse Look: Yaw and Pitch (not inverted)
W: Speed UP
S: Slow Down
Q: Fire All Weapons
Space Bar: Fire Missiles
E: Fire and then cycle to the next weapon

I am not sure why, but sticking the roll on the right and left mouse buttons was awesome. I have no idea what made me think to do that, but I am happy I did. I am hoping that the PS2 key mapping will be open enough to enable a mapping similar to this, because it "felt" as good as using a joystick.
Old 2012-06-04, 12:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #72
TeaReks
Private

Originally Posted by Satexios View Post

Proud owner of this one ^

I hope I can make good use of it in PS2 as it works wonders in flight sims and WWII Online.

I have the x52 pro and combat rudder pedals. I tried that one but couldn't get used to the stick not moving. That thing felt awesome in my hand though. I wish they made one with a moving stick.
Old 2012-06-04, 01:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #73
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Will probably be bolting the Hawg back onto the desk for this, but I have no idea how I'm going to arrange everything. Maybe ditch the whole keyboard for a G13 or something?
Old 2012-06-05, 07:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #74
meiam
Corporal

So shameless bump since maybe some people that were at E3 and got there hand on the game can shed some light on aircraft control?

Dunno if anybody had a look at the option menu (if it was even possible), but I'm mostly interested in what the default control are for the mouse? Do you have to pick up the mouse and put back in the middle?
Old 2012-06-06, 10:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #75
RSphil
Contributor
Major

after seeing the E3 footage im stull curious about the flight controls with the aircraft. what where the controls for ps1 via mouse and keyboard? i assume they will be close in ps2. i have an x52 and always use it for flight sims but as these are vtol aircraft mouse and keyboard might be easier.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion