Infantry Render Distance Feedback - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Please check your life at the door.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2013-02-13, 04:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #61
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

Re: Infantry Render Distance Feedback

When standing on the spawn room building of quartz ridge and looking down the base to the north exit, I found that people I could see would disappear when I scoped in on them with the 10x on the TR bolt action. Zoom out, they were back.

Also noticed significantly more people appearing out of no where within 50m, yet I can see folks 400m away behind them, friendlies and enemies alike.
Old 2013-02-13, 04:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #62
Daimond
Private

Love the vid, congrats, set you subscribe. Felt like was watching a Point of view Timelaps documentry almost.

On the other note, wish I played, yesterday, Pissed I missed out the rendering distance, for my sniping

Originally Posted by MarauderShields View Post
Old 2013-02-13, 07:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #63
DirtyBird
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Still testing

Be great if someone could check out the CQC results like the video I posted above.
Old 2013-02-13, 09:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #64
Hamma
PSU Admin

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2013-02-14, 03:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #65
ShadetheDruid
First Lieutenant

Of course, the three servers picked happen to be none of the three i'm on, typical! Ah well, hopefully they're getting some good results from this and they'll roll it out to everyone soon.
Old 2013-02-14, 06:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #66
Emperor Newt
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by KaskaMatej View Post
Besides, all bolt-action sniper rifles have bullet drop.
I know. Thanks.
That's why the smiley was behind it.

Last edited by Emperor Newt; 2013-02-14 at 06:50 AM.
Old 2013-02-15, 07:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #67
DirtyBird
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

After watching FNO Ep20 its clear that the render changes are for distance and not for CQC.
So much was popping in and out during the attack at the Crown.

Was also interesting to see Jimmywhis running around on the dev cam and he couldnt render all of the Consortium lined up and waiting at the warp gate.
They popped in and out as he moved along the line up.

On the other hand the distance rendering looks as good as what people have been saying here.
Old 2013-02-16, 12:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #68
typhaon
Sergeant Major

Got a chance to play for some extended time in a variety of very large to smaller encounters.

* noticed significant inconsistency... would see enemies at a distance - only to enter an 'empty' room on the way and have a squad pop up out of thin air in my face.

* In particular, I was noticing the weird popups associated with MAX charge... several times as I was darting from cover to cover, trying to approach a distant group of enemies, I'd charge into a seemingly empty area... only to have it suddenly be teeming with enemies. In some cases, I think they were just as surprised to see me as I was them.

* noticed the above effects with friendlies, also.

* gameplay result i've noticed.... sniperside 2. people might adapt... but tonight I noticed more than a few battles that just turned into these long-range 'farm' fests. I say 'farm' because I don't think anyone was really racking up the certs, but people just seemed content to sit back and lob tank shells and take pot shots from 400m. twice my friends and i left battles because they deteriorated into these dull stalemates -- with little activity on either side.

Last edited by typhaon; 2013-02-16 at 12:55 AM.
Old 2013-02-17, 12:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #69
Koadster
Sergeant Major

Have they removed the improvement? Was at quartz ridge I had guys disappearing when there was at best 50-70 people around.

MuNrOe : Eat a Dick sandwich TR
Old 2013-02-17, 12:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #70
Hamma
PSU Admin

Not sure, last we heard it was still in place.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2013-02-19, 04:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #71
Figment
Lieutenant General

Yesterday we had a lot of issues with render distance on Miller when fighting up from Zurvan (as NC) near The Crown. The TR infantry in the hills didn't render, nor did their missiles, but they damn well hit hard and my Vanguard got continuous lock ons. Hit direction indicators worked, but only sporadically actual infantry would show up (typically under 50-80m). As infantry, seemed to have far less issues while closer to The Crown in much denser pop. :/

Not sure what caused it, but we all had the same issues.
Old 2013-02-19, 05:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #72
Gimpylung
Master Sergeant

During a 3 way at Crossroads on Miller last night, VS held the tower, TR rolling AMS's to point C from Xeno, NC coming in from Crown and Ti, loads of short range render issues with friendlies and enemies alike.

Granted there was a hell of a lot of infantry from all empires there at the time, so quite the stress test.
Old 2013-02-19, 06:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #73
Emperor Newt
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by typhaon View Post
* gameplay result i've noticed.... sniperside 2. people might adapt... but tonight I noticed more than a few battles that just turned into these long-range 'farm' fests. I say 'farm' because I don't think anyone was really racking up the certs, but people just seemed content to sit back and lob tank shells and take pot shots from 400m. twice my friends and i left battles because they deteriorated into these dull stalemates -- with little activity on either side.
Kinda my experience too. A lot of battles by randoms are becoming more and more "stalemates" because the attacking team is way to afraid to go anywhere near the defenders.
It seems to have taken some of the "frantic fun" out of many battles. Maybe it's just that people need to adapt but currently it looks like attacks became campsites. Except the smoke. Because smoke in PS2 doesn't cover anything (long enough).
Old 2013-02-19, 09:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #74
Calisai
Contributor
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Baneblade View Post
How is proper camo affecting this? I mean if an enemy is wearing good camo for the terrain is he harder to identify at those ranges?
If he isn't moving, they can blend in. I've actually found that I've lost vanguards/prowlers with the correct color camo on indar. (on high graphics settings anyway)

However, if they are moving around, no amount of camo will help that... and infantry has a lot of non-camo'd black, grey, etc on them that makes it a little easier. Light levels also have a huge role in this...

Most of the time when i'm long-range sniping (very long range on Mattherson/Indar) i'm noticing the movement more than the color/profile of players. That or a shadow due to being backlit, etc.
Old 2013-02-19, 09:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #75
Calisai
Contributor
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Emperor Newt View Post
Kinda my experience too. A lot of battles by randoms are becoming more and more "stalemates" because the attacking team is way to afraid to go anywhere near the defenders.
It seems to have taken some of the "frantic fun" out of many battles. Maybe it's just that people need to adapt but currently it looks like attacks became campsites. Except the smoke. Because smoke in PS2 doesn't cover anything (long enough).
I've definitely seen this more with the Crown/Xroads/TI alloys area. Other places it doesn't seem to matter as much, but at the Big 3, a lot of long-range farming going on.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion