Why this game needs old bitter vets - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Hey, I think my jetpack is broken.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-07-18, 11:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #61
Landtank
Second Lieutenant

Re: Why this game needs old bitter vets

Originally Posted by StumpyTheOzzie View Post
blah
Hah word,

Yes we did! We had a medic, the occasional engineer, and perhaps a galaxy here and there. We were for the most part screwing around having fun, but we still used what "tactics" there were in PS1.

Although the unified plan was usually centered around killing the enemy.. so take that as you will
Old 2012-07-19, 01:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #62
Noivad
Master Sergeant

This post my 1st Vet step. This is NOT a recruiting post.

I guess I'm a non beta - old (2004,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,2012) vet. Except for 6 months I paid and played the whole time. I don't think I'm bitter vet. I welcome any player who values organized teamwork, who wants to have fun, can take direction, and learn from mistakes. I don't care what game they have or have not played. What good or bad habits they have developed. Once PS2 is launched anyone can try out to see if we are a good fit for them. If we are not, there will be plenty of outfits out there who might fit the bill for them.

I have played along side many different outfits, some very organized, some not organized at all. I would suggest that new players to Planetside try out a bunch of them before settling on who you decide to invest your time in.

While I don't perfer SOLO play, the solo player had value in PS1 and will have value in PS2. The Zerg as we called them, was always something some of us tried to control to assit us in our own plans.

I'm sure there will be a griefing system similar to PS1 to handle that type of player who just have to muck with friendly players so I am not concerned about them..

The smart Outfits will have a plan in place to establish themselves in game. Some will play it by ear. I plan on using beta to help guide me in exactly what type of outfit DOG becomes. I am considering the Light Infantry with the glider packs to shoot for first.
Transportation will be the mosquito.

It is nice to NOT have to require my members to spend certs for a vehicle. TY SOE.

PS2s Mission system will allow the the solo player to goto the fight with some idea of what is happening. He can pick what leader he wants to follow even if he is not part of the outfit that setup the mission he is looking at. NOT like PS1 Instant action where if there was fighting on more then one map you never knew where you might go. So there will be plenty of unorganized solo playing that anyone can go to.

DOG will be doing its training on the forest - swamp map first. We will be learning how to fight the BIO Dome first. Thats my plan.

As I gain experience in PS2, and as other responsible vets gain experience they will help the new guys out if they are willing to learn. Take them under their wing. And just as easy through them back to the Zerg if they don't work out.

PS2 will have gameplay that anyone and everyone can have fun at. Its more diverse then any other FPS out there. I'm looking forward to having fun alongside of all of you. I just hope that you VS and NC I kill have fun dieing when DOG takes you out

"There is NO "I" in Teamwork"

DOG SLOGAN - "It's not the size of the DOG in a fight, it's the size of the fight in the DOG"

DOG BATTLE CRY - " Cry 'Havoc,' and Let Slip The DOG's OF War. "

And Hamma I see the VS and the NC have infiltrated your board. So the TR will have to kill them all and make them the yellow bastards they are
Old 2012-07-19, 11:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #63
GODJOEY
Private

Title reminds me of this pic.

Old 2012-07-19, 11:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #64
Exmortius
Master Sergeant

bitter old vets will keep the new players in line :P
the vets will have a great understanding of keeping the balance and hopefully there will be far less balance rage and the devs learned from mistakes made from ps1. i think game balance is where a lot of games fail and the devs and ps in general seems to have an extraordinary amount of balance consideration the 2nd time around.
Old 2012-07-19, 12:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #65
Snipefrag
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Buggsy View Post
COD players will play anything with pretty graphics. If you want the older crowd make a more cerebral FPS game.

How to combine the 2 play styles: pretty graphics + more cerebral FPS game.

I don't understand some of you guys, PS1 had plenty of instant gratification, I used the instant action button all the time. But at least it had more cerebral type of game play too (that is before players started getting the CUD abilities command rank).

(before CUD abilities) there were 100X more tactics available in PS1 than you would find in BF2, and it's not cause the maps were bigger.
Jesus, why don't you shut up about the CUD. Every post i see you bitching about it, obsessive compulsive much?
Old 2012-07-19, 12:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #66
Arcticus
Corporal

The bane of any national defense is the General who's always trying to fight the previous war.

It's not whether the old vet is bitter; it's whether he's effective. If, instead of adapting, he's bitter because he regards the game as broken because the old tactics no longer work, then he will find himself without noobs to lead.

It's not about bitter vet vs noob...it's about bitter vet vs better vet.
Old 2012-07-19, 12:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #67
Zar
Sergeant

Originally Posted by ZaBa View Post
Hang on, let me go smoke a pack of cigarillos, I need to get in character. Can't play the grizzled vet without a voice like a cement mixer, right?

I won't mind that so much as what I'm expecting; vets getting mad that the game itself is wrong because X tactic doesn't work the way it used to, or is completely irrelevant due to fundamental gameplay differences.

I'm sure plenty of strategic skills will carry over, but it feels like a lot of people are [incorrectly] assuming they'll instantly know what's up with in-the-weeds tactics just because the names of a lot of things are the same, which will generate significant grief among those for whom this isn't the case.

Maybe I'm misreading it, but I honestly hope I'm wrong either way. Could do without a beta full of people demanding the game be made more like PS1.

To sum up what I just said:

I love old players! Just not ones who try to change a game into the image of a previous game they feel planetside 2 should be more like (i.e.: planetside 1)
as far as i can tell alot of tactic's will still work that are in ps1 even some new one's that my group is already coming up with. alot of new mechanic's are good ps1 players or any fps player will either change their play style to win and have fun or rage and leave either way its a good day p.s. this isn't nor ever will be call of duty side or bfside XD. if that's what you think wellll..... i shall bake you a cookie and the world will be amazing again.
Old 2012-07-19, 12:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #68
Xyntech
Brigadier General

The game will definitely benefit from having vets who know how to run large scale operations in an MMOFPS.

But it most certainly won't benefit from anyone who is any kind of legitimate "bitter" vet. People who bitch about how "this isn't like the first game" and shit will be just as bad for the game as someone complaining that you're taking too long to repair the aircraft.

The vocal majority always tends to have a higher percentage of assholes. That will be true for veterans of the first game, as well as new players coming in from other games. There will be plenty of bitter vets who will be constantly raising shitstorms (especially early on), and plenty of loud newcomers who will bitch about the most inane things. But overall, there will be plenty of veterans who will be invaluable to helping new players understand how an MMOFPS works, and there will be plenty of newcomers who will be happy to learn.

Hopefully the vocal majority won't have too ridiculously high of a percentage of bitching and moaning, either on the vet side or the new player side. But even if most of the loud players are detrimental, there will still be tons of players, old and new, who will be just fine.

Let's stop thinking the best or worst of either group. There's a lot of potential for both good and bad in either camp.
Old 2012-07-19, 12:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #69
Loco
Private

I agree that vets will have a use in the game.

I however also believe new players will be needed as well. It's all been said here before..

-- New tactics will be necessary.

-- Outfits will be necessary.

In my experience any outfit worth it's salt will have recruitment squads open for anyone to invite.

My advice to anyone not familiar with PS1 would be to join one of these recruitment squads. You can get a good feel for how they play.

Some are either really strict. "When I say Jump you jump"

Others are really loose. "We're attacking this base. Go for it!"

Find what your comfortable with and join up.

Personally I find the outfits that have a command structure, training, and laid out protocols to be the most fun to join.

Working as a team is probably the most satisfying thing I've experienced in PS1. I'm sure it'll be there in PS2.
Old 2012-07-19, 12:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #70
Yago
Private

Vets don't have to be "bitter" , the same as new players don't have to be "noobs" .

If people are screaming and abusing their squad/platoon/outfit/enemy , then they are just an arsehole . That fact will have little bearing on PS2 , they will be just the same person upon logging out , an arsehole .
Old 2012-07-19, 12:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #71
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

Vent
ts3

I'm not worried about new blood not being able to cooperate. They're either on comms, or they're left behind.

Retired NC CR5, Cerberus Company.
Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.

Last edited by p0intman; 2012-07-19 at 01:01 PM.
Old 2012-07-19, 10:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #72
kadrin
Sergeant

Originally Posted by james View Post
but becuase you played ps1 it should be like ps1.
Considering this game is called PLANETSIDE 2, yes, I actually would expect it to be similar to PLANETSIDE 1.

You don't buy the new CoD title expecting it to be a completely different game, you're expecting it to be new but similar to the previous titles. Same goes with any game franchise.

There are a lot of changes that I don't agree with in PS2, for example, classes, no inventory, driver/gunners, the TTK, but I'm not unreasonable and understand the new direction the game is moving in. That doesn't mean that I'm okay with this game getting rid of everything that made the first PS great to go and be a Battlefield clone on a massive scale.

It's like everyone assumes we've only ever played PS since it's release in 2003 because we're PS vets. I started playing FPS games back in 1996, and have played almost every major shooter title since then and many many of the not as big budget games. I haven't been living under a rock, I've seen how the genre has evolved and there are many things I like and just as many that I don't.

We liked PS1 for what it was, and I'm not saying it was perfect and didn't need anything changed, but when it comes to changes for PS2, we're going to go with what we liked and what worked in PS1 because this is supposed to be its successor. Just because it worked in Battlefield or CoD doesn't mean its going to work and we need it in PS2.
Old 2012-07-19, 11:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #73
TAA
Staff Sergeant

Yes abuse will be a problem. No, the PS1 vets will not do anything about it. The only people that could do something about it are the game developers, through the careful engineering of a game environment that actively discourages bad behavior. Yes, it can be done. I posted these two articles in another thread. Read one of them here. This is another short little article talking about why this sort of behavior happens online. This is a link to a Microsoft Research paper into the problem.

I proposed a suggestion that might help here. That suggestion is about as simple as it gets. The real solutions to the problem of online harassment and abuse are hard to implement. It requires research. It requires that the devs track behavior, analyse triggers for that behavior, then integrate concepts to minimize those triggers directly into the game itself (refer to first link above).

Make no mistake though: this is something that is entirely up to the developers. There is nothing you or I or any PS1 vet can do to solve this problem. If the devs choose to ignore it they do so at the cost of their own profits.

Last edited by TAA; 2012-07-20 at 10:24 AM.
Old 2012-07-20, 02:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #74
Karrade
First Sergeant

Don't debate or moddy coddle new people entering the game - just do it. People will go where and towards who they like. Nothing complicated about it.

Organised outfits will clean up the streets as always, we'll just have more bugs I mean people to squash.

Originally Posted by p0intman View Post
Vent
ts3

I'm not worried about new blood not being able to cooperate. They're either on comms, or they're left behind.
Pretty much this. It just takes people standing up in the first place, like anything life.

Last edited by Karrade; 2012-07-20 at 02:45 AM.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-07-20, 03:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #75
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

As an old vet I'm more inclined to facepalming than bitterness.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion