Strikers are OP against air. - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: If your reading this you come here to much
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-08-02, 01:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #61
blashyrk
Corporal

Re: Strikers are OP against air.

Originally Posted by RJGatling View Post
Strikers deal a lot more damage if they all hit/lockon. That's going to change with the new esf rules/lockon rules. Many times I'm gunned down while trying to fire all rockets. If 3 of the 6 missiles hit you, there's one more than there should be for the total. Either something was broken with the lockon system, or you flared, stuck around instead of heading out, and they regained lockon and fired the remaining salve. I think the latter is the most likely scenario.
Yes, but I believe that proves my point. If a single infantry unit has the ability to basically destroy an ESF from a single barrage of missiles, and the ESF has to retreat for 25 seconds if it's closer than 500m to that particular unit (who at that range doesn't even render to the pilot) that is by definition a hard counter - the ESF isn't able to operate at all within a distance of a Striker.

Other lock-on launchers deal reasonable damage to an ESF but pilots can still make calculated risks and actually do something before having to retreat for repairing/resupplying. With Strikers, if a pilot doesn't have flares ready at the moment of lock-on, he is dead.

There's no outrunning or outmaneuvering the missiles unless you have fuel pods but it isn't fair that TR have such an outstandingly hard counter to air that forces pilots to give up a secondary weapon just to be able to do ANYTHING within TR airspace.

Last edited by blashyrk; 2013-08-02 at 02:02 PM.
Old 2013-08-02, 03:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #62
raw
Sergeant

Strikers aren't OP, they are broken.

If I was a GM, I would permaban everyone that uses a striker for exploiting, aimbotting and being a toxic element to the game.
Old 2013-08-02, 05:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #63
War Barney
Sergeant Major

We really don't need another thread we already know the striker is the most OP launcher in the game very much in need of a nerf, this thread is thus pointless as it doesn't mention the many reasons why so if anything TR noobs will use it as a good way to try and lie and say its not. If anything this thread could hurt the cause of getting the striker properly balanced, hell knowing TR they might try and use this thread to get its damage doubled! cos being able to easily destroy any form of armour isn't powerful enough! it should destroy 2 or 3 vehicles a clip!
Old 2013-08-03, 05:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #64
blashyrk
Corporal

Originally Posted by War Barney View Post
We really don't need another thread we already know the striker is the most OP launcher in the game very much in need of a nerf, this thread is thus pointless as it doesn't mention the many reasons why so if anything TR noobs will use it as a good way to try and lie and say its not. If anything this thread could hurt the cause of getting the striker properly balanced, hell knowing TR they might try and use this thread to get its damage doubled! cos being able to easily destroy any form of armour isn't powerful enough! it should destroy 2 or 3 vehicles a clip!
Woah, hold your horses, no need to insult TR players . True, most of them are defending the Striker, but the players who are like that haven't been on the receiving end. Players with multiple toons usually agree that the Striker needs a change.

I made this thread nearly a month ago, and I believe it was 2 GUs ago. Nevertheless, Striker still hasn't been changed and I eagerly await the next GU and we'll see how it pans out.
Old 2013-08-03, 06:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #65
SerethiX
Corporal

I think the new lock on mechanicals will change the handling and the numbers of strikers drastically and give the pilots a better chance of getting away, but this should also require more skill of the pilots

SerethiX - www.serethi.de
Old 2013-08-03, 10:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #66
blashyrk
Corporal

Originally Posted by SerethiX View Post
I think the new lock on mechanicals will change the handling and the numbers of strikers drastically and give the pilots a better chance of getting away, but this should also require more skill of the pilots

Well, yes and no. Striker at the moment requires zero skill to use is the most broken weapon in terms of needed skill/efficiency ratio. Making the Striker a bit more skill based will contribute to balance by itself.
Old 2013-08-03, 11:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #67
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by blashyrk View Post
Well, yes and no. Striker at the moment requires zero skill to use is the most broken weapon in terms of needed skill/efficiency ratio. Making the Striker a bit more skill based will contribute to balance by itself.
Only thing broken about the weapon are the bugs that may still be around (Missiles passing through terrain and flairs not working against all incoming missiles). If any of those bugs are still around then they need fixing, doesn't mean the weapon needs to be reduced in its capabilities because of it.

Yes, lock-on weapons in PS2 don't require much in terms of aiming. You just need to be in the right place with enough room to track your target.
However that's true for every G2A launcher. What is also true for every lock-on weapon is that they can act as a deterrent for pilots not willing to chance the window of opportunity given by popping flairs. So if you want to complain about lock-on weapons being a pain in the ass then yes; there are a lot of them and they are a pain.
Only thing I will agree on is that the Striker's damage output far exceeds that of the Grounder or Annihilator, presumably because the devs thought that on average some of the missiles wouldn't hit the target. This is some times true when it comes to ground targets, not including the bug where missiles pass through terrain, but it's seldom the case for aerial targets if used in the wide open. Is it too effective against aerial targets? Sure, but it's also meant to be used against ground targets. Is it too effective against ground targets? No, it's not.
If you take a weapon with high damage output and make it so it can lock-on to ground and air then you are going to run into balancing issues.

I don't believe that simply reducing the damage output is a good idea. Changing the lock-on range to be the same as the infantry rendering distance might help.
But I would rather have them redesign the Striker to something along the lines of the Rocket Launcher from Unreal Tournament, in attempt to make it more versatile, fun and focused more against ground targets as opposed to it being most effective against aerial targets (Because of the obvious lack of cover).
Of course the lock-on changes may make all of this a non-issue.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.

Last edited by ChipMHazard; 2013-08-03 at 12:58 PM.
Old 2013-08-04, 01:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #68
RJGatling
Private

Originally Posted by blashyrk View Post
This I agree with. Zero skill weapons where you just point at a target and click the button, without having to estimate bullet drop should be modified to be a bit more skill based. Shotgun with slug on TR is difficult. On VS it is stupid easy.
Old 2013-08-04, 04:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #69
exohkay
Private

Originally Posted by RJGatling View Post
This I agree with. Zero skill weapons where you just point at a target and click the button, without having to estimate bullet drop should be modified to be a bit more skill based. Shotgun with slug on TR is difficult. On VS it is stupid easy.
Heaven forbid our faction trait actually provide an advantage!

Was flying my scythe today, was on low health and started to get locked, flared and afterburned away yet still died to a striker, literally two seconds after I flared. Wish I recorded it, was the perfect example of broken lockon behavior.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2
Old 2013-08-04, 04:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #70
SerethiX
Corporal

Me as a striker user, it seems that some players think rockets disappear after flaring and wonder why they get hit when not changing the direction. From where the rockets came?

Old 2013-08-04, 06:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #71
exohkay
Private

Originally Posted by SerethiX View Post
Me as a striker user, it seems that some players think rockets disappear after flaring and wonder why they get hit when not changing the direction. From where the rockets came?

I realise they follow the same path after flaring.

I was flying at 230km/h+, when I was locked, I flared, and two seconds (during immunity period) I received two striker hits. I was nowhere near my original position during that time.

I am very neutral when it comes to the game, but all I can assume is that the striker operated as if my flares did not deploy, and killed me.
Old 2013-08-04, 08:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #72
GreyFrog
Master Sergeant

Having switched to play TR and bought a Striker I have to change my opinion. They are fine, they smash everything I point them at and most things when I look in a different direction. They hop over small hills and go around obstacles. When there are two-three infantry focus firing everything is toast.

Can confirm I can still fire occasionally after an ESF has flared, UI reports lock lost but the rockets still come out and chase the target.
Rockets will often (but not always) hop over ridges and go around obstacles when I would assume intended mechanic should be to hit the obstacle. Basically it negates pilots (both tank and air) playing smart and taking cover.
Best escape plan for a pilot is to AB away.

They are a fun launcher to use. They need to be fixed. 500m lock-on range too far. Sure you may not kill everything you shoot at, but that vehicle must back off or die.
Old 2013-08-24, 10:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #73
DsgrntldPlyr
Private

HA! I love how people who can't fly or drive a ground vehicle correctly whine about a specific weapon as if that is the problem! YOU just suck! sorry for being blunt, but really! ->

I run TR heavy mostly and as of late I can't lock anything, let alone kill anything with the striker! Against the good pilots and drivers anyway! If you get killed by a striker alone, you are doing it wrong! sorry, that's just the way it is.

I am a TERRIBLE pilot in the game. I can go to the VR, take a stock mossy and "tread the needle", upside down, right side up, it doesn't matter. I rule the VR skies if I feel like it (in my own mind, anyway). I go into the real game and I last all of about 2 minutes average depending on how far the fight is from the warp gate... Why? Because I suck! That's the main reason and I can admit it. Now say it with me - "I SUCK AS A PILOT" - you should feel better now...

More over - I'm not playing with any "tactical correctness" at all. i.e. I fly alone, no wing man. Now this game isn't real life - however - real life tactics work like a charm! IRL, do pilots ever fly alone? NO! they call them "air squadrons" for a reason! You have not only a wingman, you have a few... From the ground, if you call in close air support, it may look like that one guy is coming down from the heavens to save your hide, but rest assured, he has several buddies up in the rafters looking after him!

It's like running as a heavy all alone - if I step around a corner and meet face to face with two bad guys that are equally ranked to me - who is going to die? ME! at least 9 times out of 10 anyway! Sure there are those lucky moments when I flank a couple of guys and they don't see me coming, but its rare. I survive the game a lot longer if I'm running in a good, cohesive squad than by myself. You are NOT an army of one. So taking a single aircraft or ground vehicle against a bunch of infantry is just asking to die.

Also, terrain is your friend! you stick close to the ground, even though it seems really scary being that close to people trying to kill you, it drastically cuts the number of people that can get a scope on you and the time they have to lock you. it's simple geometry! You fly the ground attack role with a partner, but you also have some help up above to take care of the air threats. that will make you a beast! Terrain is a lock breaker every time, the good pilots I try to kill use it like a second armor and they are almost impossible to kill from the ground...

Same goes for drivers, the more of you running as a team, the harder you are to kill! The more you stick to rock outcroppings, the more difficult you are to lock. You have guys that are running heavy, engineer, medic right there with you? You are unstoppable! Tanks take care of hard targets and other tanks, let your soft squishy teammates take care of infantry! You know how many times I've been caught by a sniper while trying to lock something with a striker? - Too many! You know how many times I've had a lock on an ESF, only to be slaughtered by a heavy before I can get a single shot off? Countless times... Do I think the striker should come with an automatic overshield that gives me 100% immunity from infantry while I'm locking a target? No... that wouldn't be fair. And we don't have that.

You have to break situational awareness from your surroundings to use the striker, and there are a TON of other things to worry about than some pesky aircraft in battle. I am lugging around something that is only useful for very few things - I can't use it against turrets or MAXs or squishies!

This is NOT an FPS!!! It IS an MMOFPS!!! that MMO part is the KEY. It is your friend - or should I say friends? use them, a little bit of tactical smarts and stop the whining!
Old 2013-08-24, 11:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #74
Plaqueis
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by DsgrntldPlyr View Post
HA! I love how people who can't fly or drive a ground vehicle correctly whine about a specific weapon as if that is the problem! YOU just suck! sorry for being blunt, but really! ->
Striker has 2 times more kills than NC Phoenix, and 4 times more kills than VS Lancer. It's not far behind the Decimator which is used by all 3 factions. You can rofl all you want, but the numbers don't lie.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...1eXRaV2c#gid=0

Originally Posted by DsgrntldPlyr View Post
I run TR heavy mostly and as of late I can't lock anything, let alone kill anything with the striker!
You can't hit things with a lock-on weapon?! You really must suck in this game...

Last edited by Plaqueis; 2013-08-24 at 11:58 AM.
Old 2013-08-24, 11:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #75
Sunrock
Major

FFS don't necro old troll threads.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion