Should infiltrator be the only class that can spot? - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: The all natural supplement
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Who should be allowed to spot enemies?
Only the infiltrator class. 40 48.19%
All classes. 27 32.53%
Nobody 15 18.07%
Other 1 1.20%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-06-10, 08:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #61
Resolve
Corporal

Re: Should infiltrator be the only class that can spot?

Originally Posted by Werefox View Post
So the real issue is not spotting per se, but rather the abuse of it to highlight people that they can't actually see.

I disagree and assert that spotting does add to gameplay especially from a overall strategy point of view (overall commanders knowing relative positions of troops is important). But that all being said, the spotting doesn't need to pinpoint accurate either.
There are other tools that can be used to give commanders better information imo. We don't need to give soldiers the ability to wall hack. Hot spots in PS1 were an AMAZING thing. All you really need to know is the general area of a battle. The rest should gravy from there. Spotting hurts VOIP as well in that it removes the need to actually relay positions. BF3 doesn't even have VOIP. That tells me something.
Old 2012-06-10, 08:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #62
commiedic
Private

I am a really big fan of class specific roles and though I would love to see something like INF being the only person that is able to spot enemies I have to imagine that would overload the INF with a much too large responsibility.

Now if the spotting system was only squad oriented than yes go have an INF be the only spotter for his squad. Though since I believe it is like the spot system in BF3(didn't play PS1 so sorry I don't reference it instead) a couple of INF overlooking a base will have their hands full spotting every enemy defending it and not to mention the other enemies attacking.
Old 2012-06-10, 08:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #63
Fenrys
Major

... tracker darts ...
That may be the only way I'd be OK with 3d spotting wall hacks. You need to hit them with a dart that can be disabled by any emp, and the short-range dart gun replaces your pistol as an infiltrator.

Last edited by Fenrys; 2012-06-10 at 09:31 PM.
Old 2012-06-10, 08:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #64
Werefox
Private

Hot Spots must have been improved since I stopped playing PS1 because they were awful back when I was playing. When I was playing they only showed up when there was a firefight between opposing sides, and there was nothing to distinguish 1v1 fights from larger battles. I would have hoped they were improved over the years, but really can't comment.

Its an interesting problem to solve. I would like to see it remain as I think that people taking an active role in information gathering and relaying far outweighs the downsides. That doesn't mean that steps can't be taken to minimise the abuse scenarios.
Old 2012-06-10, 08:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #65
Red Beard
Second Lieutenant

I disagree and assert that spotting does add to gameplay especially from a overall strategy point of view (overall commanders knowing relative positions of troops is important - or even troop column positions for reaver attack runs for instance)
I like this idea in terms of an overall command-simulation screen where a restricted pool of high end leaders can see troop positions and can use it in as reference in command decisions and coordination.

I hate it from a FPS perspective; seeing a dude before you can see his outline is simply hurting game play by causing people to be lazy in terms of securing rooms, scouting, etc (see previous posts of mine for more detail on that).

EDIT:

To see my idea to how to limit high end command to only CAPABLE leaders, see my post:
http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...ght=Integrated

Last edited by Red Beard; 2012-06-10 at 08:38 PM.
Old 2012-06-10, 08:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #66
Fenrys
Major

... there was nothing to distinguish 1v1 fights from larger battles...
The Tactical map view would give you a general idea of how many people were present, but you did have to be on that continent to see it.

Last edited by Fenrys; 2012-06-10 at 08:40 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion