News: Chinese Interview with John Smedley - Page 6 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Bling Bling
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-09-08, 12:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #76
Shogun
Contributor
General

Re: Chinese Interview with John Smedley

ah thanks, i missed that one.

ok, IF microtransactions are necessary, that´s the right way to do it. i don´t mind others having cosmetic goodies or even faster xp gain for real money, but some other games started off that way, too and screwed it by introducing buyable power later on, like better weapons. (battlefield heroes for example)

i share the fear that ps2 developement will be born dead if it´s f2p :-(
just look at developement of ps1, and this game still has a very high subscription fee that has been in place for 8 years, which should have been used for dev.
i hope the devteam will draw money from another soe game to make up for the years of cashmuling ;-)
if not... make ps2 subscription based, or free/premium like ps was during the cannonfodderprogram. but keep the game pay to buy so the cheaters can be banned and have to rebuy the game before they try again.
Old 2011-09-08, 12:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #77
Sirisian
Colonel

So we have microtransactions for only aesthetic things and the game is free to play with no boxed copy at all?

This is a huge change to what I expected. It brings up a lot more questions than it answers.

1) Is the game still going to be microtransactions for aesthetics or are we going to be purchasing classes?

2) How will the game continue to make money over time? What will you be offering to sell to people other than aesthetics? New classes? Or is that it? Will we be purchasing training bonuses and experience boosts?

I understand if you can't answer these immediately for a few months, but they're some things I'm curious about.

(I'm still in the subscription only boat which is apparently sinking).

Last edited by Sirisian; 2011-09-08 at 12:54 PM.
Old 2011-09-08, 12:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #78
Logit
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post
ah thanks, i missed that one.

ok, IF microtransactions are necessary, that´s the right way to do it. i don´t mind others having cosmetic goodies or even faster xp gain for real money, but some other games started off that way, too and screwed it by introducing buyable power later on, like better weapons. (battlefield heroes for example)

i share the fear that ps2 developement will be born dead if it´s f2p :-(
just look at developement of ps1, and this game still has a very high subscription fee that has been in place for 8 years, which should have been used for dev.
i hope the devteam will draw money from another soe game to make up for the years of cashmuling ;-)
if not... make ps2 subscription based, or free/premium like ps was during the cannonfodderprogram. but keep the game pay to buy so the cheaters can be banned and have to rebuy the game before they try again.
Well, on the flip side. F2P attracts a shit ton more people to the game, which in turn has more people, a lot more people, buying cosmetic items and goodies with $$.

Is that enough money for upkeep on the game? Who knows, but if they are seriously considering that model than it would stand to reason that the answer is yes.

The main problem is this also introduces more hackers to the game, so policing of hacking will need to be a top priority.
Old 2011-09-08, 12:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #79
Logit
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Tigersmith View Post
I really like this system. It really does not give you power if you buy stuff. But it just makes it easier for you to get. I would 100% be on board with this.
Exactly.

Paying money in LoL doesn't give you advantages to the point where in game you are significantly more powerful than people who don't. In fact, everyone is on a level playing field which is my main concern with a PS2 shop..so we'll see I suppose!

I have no problem with people paying money to gain experience quicker or for skins etc.
Old 2011-09-08, 01:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #80
Tigersmith
Major

Misc Info

Im wondering if we still have to buy a copy of the game if its F2P. Im guessing yes. Its going to be like guild wars. you need to buy the game but F2P after that.

All the online retailers have the game listed for $49.99 and this information comes directly from the sony retailer network.

http://www.gamestop.com/pc/games/planetside-2/92542
Old 2011-09-08, 01:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #81
Shogun
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Logit View Post

The main problem is this also introduces more hackers to the game, so policing of hacking will need to be a top priority.
not a top priority, but THE top priority!

i just hope the dark days are over and not a single sony (and soe) employee will ever underestimate hackers again... but the infamous drawer is still there... waiting for our nuts... mumbling "soooon"
Old 2011-09-08, 01:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #82
FIREk
Captain

I wonder if US beta means I won't be able to participate, or I'll just be lagged...
Old 2011-09-08, 01:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #83
bjorntju1
Captain

PlanetSide 2 will start large-scale test in US
And what about Europe? If you can smed i like to have that clarified.

But anyways gerat news! I am curious how the F2P system is going to work.

Last edited by bjorntju1; 2011-09-08 at 01:21 PM.
Old 2011-09-08, 01:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #84
Bags
Lieutenant General

Yay, LoL's F2P method is the one thing they did right with that game.
Old 2011-09-08, 01:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #85
Shogun
Contributor
General

that slipped my mind :-(

and smed is offline again...

but it would be really nice if he could clarify, if the beta will be for europe players as well!

in the past soe had europe players in betas (sont know bout planetside, but i was in swg jump to lightspeed beta) and i really hope they will let europe hop into beta as well. i don´t mind betatesting on intercontinental lag but i would hate being shut out. planetside 2 may actually be the first game i would preorder while doing the beta.
Old 2011-09-08, 01:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #86
Sanoskay
Private

i do not think they should go the direction free to play its just going to open up to alot of aim botters example global agenda and ABP reloaded full of aim botters that the GM could not control of just do not give a crap considering they just make a new account . at least if the player going to aimbot and banned they going to have to buy a new game and subscription which they could make more money

Last edited by Sanoskay; 2011-09-08 at 01:27 PM.
Old 2011-09-08, 01:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #87
Shogun
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Sanoskay View Post
i do not think they should go the direction buy to play or free to play its just going to open up to alot of aim botters example global agenda and ABP reloaded full of aim botters that the GM could not control of just do not give a crap considering they just make a new account
that´s why i would like a free to play model but with a boxed game to buy. you have to register the bought copy of the game to play, and if you get banned, that copy gets invalid and you would have to buy a new one... cheaters need a risk to be kept away.

to keep it clear: we don´t want the game to be a free download! that would be the same like putting a floodlight up in the jungle and sleep naked without a mosquitonet...

Last edited by Shogun; 2011-09-08 at 01:29 PM.
Old 2011-09-08, 01:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #88
Tigersmith
Major

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post
that´s why i would like a free to play model but with a boxed game to buy. you have to register the bought copy of the game to play, and if you get banned, that copy gets invalid and you would have to buy a new one... cheaters need a risk to be kept away.
This would be the best way. But I think there will be a F2P Client Also.
Old 2011-09-08, 01:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #89
FriendlyFire
Sergeant

I am starting to think the best way to get PS2 info is for "wrong" info to be released.
Old 2011-09-08, 01:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #90
Shogun
Contributor
General

only problem i see is the used gamemarket.
if gamecopys can get banned, i would not dare to buy a used game, but gamedevs don´t seem to see this as negative nowadays ;-)
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion