IMO KillCam killing the Game - Page 6 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by candlelight.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: KillCam in Planetside2?
No-Go 198 72.53%
No Problem 75 27.47%
Voters: 273. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-01-31, 11:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #76
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Re: IMO KillCam killing the Game

This game which I have never played has been KILLED DEAD by this here feature, I tell ya.

I am going to withhold judgment on kill cams until I play it. I do not really think it would "kill the game" either way though. It's just a kill cam.
Old 2012-01-31, 11:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #77
Vancha
Colonel

Guys, it's a play on words. He doesn't literally mean it'll cause the death of Planetside 2.
Old 2012-01-31, 11:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #78
Hermes
Contributor
Master Sergeant

No problem for me. Didn't even cross my radar (killcam?) as something to worry about.

Good points made about immersion - if that's how you see it. Though I doubt it will bother me much, think I might even enjoy it. I would definitely like to see an implant/upgrade that can be equipped to block the killcam with static if you are playing a stealth style.

Think it might even be a neat distinctive trait for the stealth player in that respect - you suddenly die and your armour's black box is filled with static.. there's an elite killer on the loose targeting your squad

Old 2012-01-31, 11:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #79
Shogun
Contributor
General

@miir
that´s another point...

in ps1 there would have been enough to do while waiting on the spawntimer.
problem was just, it was all locked.
if i had been able to do the things on the map i could do while being alive, like setting waypoints, zooming around, check for CE, i would have been a happy corpse ;-)

instead of a killcam give the corpses some choices. check the map, check leaderboards or merit progression. just don´t lock them to a countdown that shuts off everything else.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!

Last edited by Shogun; 2012-01-31 at 11:23 AM.
Old 2012-01-31, 11:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #80
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by Aurmanite View Post
Hell yes. Forum posters are not game experts.
Quite true. Gamers however, often are game experts. Yes, there's plenty of people who's opinions should probably be ignored, but to dismiss them all would be folly.
Old 2012-01-31, 11:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #81
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Zhane View Post
More sense than anything else in this thread. While community feedback can be important, we're not game designers, and while you may know what you do or don't want, you do not and can not know what's best for the game. Let them do their jobs and make us a great game.

Armchair game designers = #1 pet peeve of mine
You may not be a designer, don't speak for others. Quality of posts will always differ, but discussions and experience sharing can provide new insights to developers. If there are things or ideas they never thought of before, they can consider it or use it as inspiration, testrun scenarios, see if it matters or simply dismiss it if they are confident their design is robust enough.

The only stupid thing is never to voice your opinions, concerns and ideas. Even if some are ridiculous. Will know soon enough.
Old 2012-01-31, 11:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #82
Tehroth
Corporal

Yeah I don't like a cam showing you the exact position where you are at. I don't mind the game telling you who killed you. Leave the kill cam to Fps games like CoD or BF3
Old 2012-01-31, 11:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #83
MpS
Private

Honestly I'm really surprised they are putting this in the game, frankly I would really, really hate to see them put this into the game. It does take away from the immersion and what about things like hidden snipers? The second a sniper kills somebody they will have to move now rather than keeping their nice secret spot. In all honesty I can't decide if this is game breaking for me or not, I still despise the idea of this and would like to see it removed.
Old 2012-01-31, 11:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #84
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by IDukeNukeml View Post
That would be an awesome way to gain intel on a tower or forward base, feed one of your guys to a sniper and let him explain the layout of what they have and possible weak spots through teamspeak
Hah. If people were killing themselves on purpose for this, I think that'd say it all design-wise.
Old 2012-01-31, 11:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #85
Raymac
Brigadier General

oh hey, another killcam thread.

I'm clearly in the minority here, but I think killcams can be a helpful inclusion. The COD style can help show you why you got killed and doesn't really give away much information about the killer.

Also, I'm not really seeing the "it breaks immersion" argument. The PS1 rotating view of the body "broke immersion" and it was never a major complaint. Frankly, I think anything during the respawn time other than a blank screen or a tunnel of light where you see your dead relatives would "break immersion". So if you can see what killed you, like the stats of your killer, or a replay of your death, or a map of the battlefield, or leaderboards, I think all those would be better than watching a timer bar tick down.

Old 2012-01-31, 11:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #86
Hmr85
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post
oh hey, another killcam thread.

I'm clearly in the minority here, but I think killcams can be a helpful inclusion. The COD style can help show you why you got killed and doesn't really give away much information about the killer.

Also, I'm not really seeing the "it breaks immersion" argument. The PS1 rotating view of the body "broke immersion" and it was never a major complaint. Frankly, I think anything during the respawn time other than a blank screen or a tunnel of light where you see your dead relatives would "break immersion". So if you can see what killed you, like the stats of your killer, or a replay of your death, or a map of the battlefield, or leaderboards, I think all those would be better than watching a timer bar tick down.
I don't have a problem with any of that myself. If they keep it like PS1 cool. The problem I have is if the killcam zooms across to show the guy who killed you. I feel its giving away his position that you probably wouldn't of known about otherwise. I think this is a big no. So while the camera is sitting there showing him sitting in this tree or next to this rock. I know the first thing I'm gonna do when I come out of re spawn is immediately look for terrain similar to where he is at. I just feel it should not be in there. Just my opinion. So I have to say NO to kill cams.

Last edited by Hmr85; 2012-01-31 at 11:56 AM.
Old 2012-01-31, 11:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #87
BorisBlade
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by sylphaen View Post
Any "wait & see" option ?
while i would agree about most things, there is nothin to wait and see about concerning this. It does exactly what people dont like, and most people dont want it. It has no place in a game like this with tactical aspects. Its fine for CoD which is just a braindead zerg game, you rush in you shoot then you die, then rush, shoot, die, again and again and again. There is no strategy other than very very minor movement. Giving away location for free is BS, and quite often you also give away other info such as whats around you or what you can see etc when you kill someone by letting them see the kill cam.

At very least it should be able to be disabled from the senders end and from the receiving end. Either both on/off together or letting you choose which ones are available. At bare minimum you must be able to disable your transmissions of kill shots so you dont screw yourself over when you kill someone.

Kill cams are are not just bad tactically, they are also very juvenile and just promote anger and frustration. You kill em, thats enough, move on. If you really feel the need to be an asshat go use a lame emote or tbag em or whatever, ill have clicked out too fast to even see or hear your idiocy. You dont exactly get happy players when you just rub it in their face with the forced kill cam too. (and no it doesnt help them learn, thats a smokescreen asshats came up with.)
Waiting for the return of the superior, real PS style teamwork oriented vehicles with drivers not gunning, and in fixed vehicle slots so we can once again have real, epic, vehicle battles where the tanks actually move in combat rather than a silly 1700's era line up and shoot.
Old 2012-01-31, 11:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #88
Zhane
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Gortha View Post
We won´t become friends...

It seems like u are not able to look beyond the rim of your teacup.

A Kill-Cam, doesn´t matter how it´s implemented will change the way players will play. It´s free intel. There are enough examples written in this thread which explain the problems and the difference to no KillCam.

Regards
Gortha
Hm. Sad that you couldn't become friends with someone who disagrees with you.
Old 2012-01-31, 12:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #89
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Hmr85 View Post
I don't have a problem with any of that myself. If they keep it like PS1 cool. The problem I have is if the killcam zooms across to show the guy who killed you. I feel its giving away his position that you probably wouldn't of known about otherwise. I think this is a big no. So while the camera is sitting there showing him sitting in this tree or next to this rock. I know the first thing I'm gonna do when I come out of re spawn is immediately look for terrain similar to where he is at. I just feel it should not be in there. Just my opinion. So I have to say NO to kill cams.
Yeah, this argument hold much more water than the "breaks immersion" one. I can definitely see what you are saying, especially since I'm the type of player who likes to get revenge on the prick that killed me. I try to do it almost all the time in PS1, but that's exactly why I don't see it being a major problem.

Most of the time when I try to go for the revenge kill in PS1, the immediate battlefield condition changes enough to essentially distract me from that revenge. Sometimes it's a more immediate threat, or the player that killed me has moved or been killed already, or sometimes I need to leave that battle altogether for a rapid response somewhere else.

The point is, in an arena shooter, going after a specific player in a specific spot is easier because you're only dealing with 8-16 enemies. In PS where yuo have over 100 if not much more, that fundamentally changes that dynamic.

Last edited by Raymac; 2012-01-31 at 12:07 PM.
Old 2012-01-31, 12:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #90
Metalsheep
Master Sergeant

I don't like the idea of Kill-cams. They don't really have much place in Planetside, the death-cam in PS1 was good. Usually watching a Kill-cam only makes me rage more over crappy deaths. I would rather see dev time put towards something that adds more immersion to the game.
Like Holstering and Vehicle Animations.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion