Religion - Page 65 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Because life can wait.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Political Debate Forum

View Poll Results: What do you identify yourself as?
Atheist/Skeptic/Agnostic 151 70.89%
Catholic 21 9.86%
Protestant 24 11.27%
Jewish 5 2.35%
Muslim 2 0.94%
Philisophy (Such as Buddhism) 10 4.69%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-07-10, 06:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #961
Figment
Lieutenant General

Re: Religion

I do like how he confuses "returning the insults" with "returning to insults" though. Subtle difference, not?
Old 2012-07-10, 06:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #962
therandomone
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
Thanks for proving my points. And I mean all of them.
I guess if we're in a thanking mood, I should do the same. Thank you for proving my argument right by your inability to argue it. Its been fun,easy, but fun.
Edit: Also Im going to use a similar argumentation you used and say "you're just trying to get the last word in"
@sheppy (I can only quote one of you on my phone): I guess I feel the exact opposite. By breaking it down, you can identify the obvious flaws in each part of your opponent's argument and I feel makes for a more fleshed out argument for yourself. I tried the whole summing it up thing before,but like I said, I didnt think it allowed for proper identification of, in this specific instance, Figement's logical fallacies and hypocritical claims.

Last edited by therandomone; 2012-07-10 at 06:34 AM.
Old 2012-07-10, 06:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #963
Figment
Lieutenant General

You're a very confused person.

You conclude the reason to stop argueing is incapability without having any evidence to this. You're a horrible skeptic and much more a person of strong personal faith.

Confirmational bias on your part is so strong you're a completely inept debater, a horribly unsuitable person for trying to represent a scientific point of view and worst of all a tremendous hypocrite without any sense of self-criticism.

Try again why someone would want to stop argueing with you: it leads nowhere. And NOT because you make good points.
Old 2012-07-10, 06:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #964
therandomone
Sergeant

You're a very confused person.

You conclude the reason to stop argueing is incapability without having any evidence to this. You're a horrible skeptic and much more a person of strong personal faith.

Confirmational bias on your part is so strong you're a completely inept debater, a horribly unsuitable person for trying to represent a scientific point of view and worst of all a tremendous hypocrite without any sense of self-criticism.

Try again why someone would want to stop argueing with you: it leads nowhere. And NOT because you make good points.
See, you've just proved my points. All of them. Thank you.
Old 2012-07-10, 06:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #965
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by therandomone View Post
See, you've just proved my points. All of them. Thank you.
You're most welcome. I'm glad you agree with everything I've said there.

See how courteous debate can go? Btw, there's probably no chance that there's any likeliness that someone wants to continue debate with someone who's just out to insult each and every person that even slightly hints at disagreement, right? Good. Glad we straightened that out.

TL;DR: So glad you are completely and 100% accurate with your initial estimate regarding my and other's motivation to stop "debating" with you.

(some degree of sarcasm may have been detected in this post!)

Last edited by Figment; 2012-07-10 at 07:01 AM.
Old 2012-07-10, 07:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #966
therandomone
Sergeant

You're most welcome. I'm glad you agree with everything I've said there.

See how courteous debate can go? Btw, there's probably no chance that there's any likeliness that someone wants to continue debate with someone who's just out to insult each and every person that even slightly hints at disagreement, right? Good. Glad we straightened that out.

TL;DR: So glad you are completely and 100% accurate with your initial estimate regarding my and other's motivation to stop "debating" with you.

(some degree of sarcasm may have been detected in this post!)
Ah! It makes sense now. I think its safe to suggest you are very Machiavellian in your thought processes. You don't care how they reached the same conclusion as you because you dont see it as a problem as long as they agree. That is where we differ, very strongly I might add. I have more respect for someone who is a theist for the right reasons than an atheist for the wrong(read:illogical) ones.
Old 2012-07-10, 07:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #967
Figment
Lieutenant General

Ah we're getting somewhere.

It's not a matter of approval however. It's a matter of definition.
Old 2012-07-10, 07:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #968
therandomone
Sergeant

Ah we're getting somewhere.

It's not a matter of approval however. It's a matter of definition.
I guess I should have fleshed that out more. I said respect, because theism doesn't really have any place in a debate since by its very nature belief has no place with logic. For atheism, I go back to what I have said previously. Create a logical defense/support for atheism. Now remove the naturalistic, physicalistic,and inductive premises and principles. Is it still a logical defense? No. What I'm trying to say that by defending atheism logically, whether you would like to or not, you make yourself unable to believe in other supernatural beliefs. You can still claim to believe in them, but in doing so you become inconsistent in your defense for atheism. So sure, it isn't hard coded into the explicit definition but implicitly by the vary nature of defending atheism you must reject other claims as well to remain consistent and not hypocritical.

Edit: And for the record, it was you who cast the first (insulting/sarcastic) stone. I just had fun with it.
Page 69:apple pie meetings ring any bells?

Last edited by therandomone; 2012-07-10 at 07:36 AM.
Old 2012-07-10, 08:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #969
ItsTheSheppy
Second Lieutenant

@sheppy (I can only quote one of you on my phone): I guess I feel the exact opposite. By breaking it down, you can identify the obvious flaws in each part of your opponent's argument and I feel makes for a more fleshed out argument for yourself. I tried the whole summing it up thing before,but like I said, I didnt think it allowed for proper identification of, in this specific instance, Figement's logical fallacies and hypocritical claims.
I don't know; I'm not convinced. Whenever anyone (and again, including myself here) breaks down a post line by line and writes a response for every individual sentence, it strikes me as a case of someone who is more interested in 'winning' than in proper debate. I'm much more likely to take seriously a response where it seems like the person read what was written, digested it, and then responded with something singular and coherent.

I cannot shake the image in my head of one person trying to say something, and the other just crossing their arms, shaking their heads, and saying "No, no, no, NO, NO, NO!" throughout the entire statement. It's like... dude, wait for your turn to talk. And when you respond do so in something that's easier to read; something that's condensed and contained. Chew your food.
Old 2012-07-10, 08:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #970
Figment
Lieutenant General

I guess I should have fleshed that out more. I said respect, because theism doesn't really have any place in a debate since by its very nature belief has no place with logic.
Would like to nuance that. Theists make assumptions they take for fact, assumptions which we disagree with. Their factual basis is, certainly in our eyes, therefore flawed. But that doesn't mean the remainder of their argument is per definition illogical. Within the context of what they assumed, they can make a - in their eyes - very logical argument. A lot of them do value reason.

The problem is that their assumptions tend to be rather flawed and often farfetched, which makes their use of facts irrational and thus to us skeptics, highly illogical. The reasoning can be the same, but the starting point leads to highly varying conclusions (deduction vs induction). Particularly often due to the use of circle argumentation.

For atheism, I go back to what I have said previously. Create a logical defense/support for atheism. Now remove the naturalistic, physicalistic,and inductive premises and principles. Is it still a logical defense? No.
That's a circle argument. You start by having a defense based on naturalism, physicalism and inductive premises and principles, then remove them and say "do you still have one"? But that foregoes the fact that someone can still be an atheist without having that by simply not believing in a god.

You forget that atheism doesn't need a defense, it simply requires lack of faith, meaning all it requires is the inability of someone else to convince them of the existence of a god.

This can be done by not accepting someone else's claims because he or she doesn't LIKE the claims or doesn't care to think about it. Or, because you're unable to receive and process any such claims because you're still incapable of language. It is logical that under such circumstances, such a person would not become a theist!

Atheism doesn't have anything to do with a positive affirmation. It's simply inacceptance of theist claims about a divine entity. That's all. Whether it's logically defended or not. They're just as much 'real' atheists as any other.

Now, for rational atheists, you have a point that they base their argumentation on logic first and foremost. However, they also base their conclusion in lacking trust and lacking faith in the capacity of others to come to a proper conclusion and then there's the people that want to conclude for themselves what they choose to believe or not. All you need for atheism in terms of defense, is the non-affirmation of theist claims.

What I'm trying to say that by defending atheism logically, whether you would like to or not, you make yourself unable to believe in other supernatural beliefs. You can still claim to believe in them, but in doing so you become inconsistent in your defense for atheism.
I believe we've all said that from the start you would not be a consistent skeptic, but also that you don't need to be to be a consistent atheist. You'd be an inconsistent atheist if you disbelief in one god for reason A, but do belief in another where reason A goes out the window. Which would also make you a theist.

Again, we point to those atheists who belief in extra-terrestrial beings visiting the earth. They are very consistent in not believing in any gods. They're just not consistent in their skepticism of claims. And yes, that makes them hypocritical (as skeptics).

So sure, it isn't hard coded into the explicit definition but implicitly by the vary nature of defending atheism you must reject other claims as well to remain consistent and not hypocritical.
Again, the implication is about a consistent application of skepticism, which is nice if you want to be a consistent skeptic, but unnecessary if you want to be a consistent atheist. It's a one directional thing. A skeptic needs to be consistent on theism as well and therefore generally finds him or herself and atheist, whereas an atheist does not need to be a skeptic. This is your main point of confusion. You want the two groups to be the same, but despite of the significant overlap, they're not.

Neither theists or atheists need to be consistent regarding other claims to be classified as either consistent theist or consistent atheist, as long as they're consistent in their conclusions about the (non-)existence of divinity.

The explicit definition is important to define an atheist, otherwise you narrow down the group too much. Hence why people created a lot of nuances to classify people of different opinion, mindset and consistency within the atheist and theist groups.

Applying and accepting your implicit definition would simplify the concept of atheism too much to a new meaning. Which is what we've been saying all along as well: you've tried to redefine atheism to your own preference of rational atheists.

We don't think that's reasonable.

Edit: And for the record, it was you who cast the first (insulting/sarcastic) stone. I just had fun with it.
Page 69:apple pie meetings ring any bells?
Originally Posted by Figment on Page 69
It's really hard for people to understand it's just one single item rather than a whole big thing with specific believes, rites and apple pie meetings, isn't it?
That's an insult to you?

Last edited by Figment; 2012-07-10 at 08:36 AM.
Old 2012-07-10, 08:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #971
therandomone
Sergeant

Originally Posted by ItsTheSheppy View Post
I don't know; I'm not convinced. Whenever anyone (and again, including myself here) breaks down a post line by line and writes a response for every individual sentence, it strikes me as a case of someone who is more interested in 'winning' than in proper debate. I'm much more likely to take seriously a response where it seems like the person read what was written, digested it, and then responded with something singular and coherent.

I cannot shake the image in my head of one person trying to say something, and the other just crossing their arms, shaking their heads, and saying "No, no, no, NO, NO, NO!" throughout the entire statement. It's like... dude, wait for your turn to talk. And when you respond do so in something that's easier to read; something that's condensed and contained. Chew your food.
I definitely see what you mean here. I think that in breaking it down the responder has a larger responsibility in proving they not only understand the Op's ideas as a whole but that they aren't just arguing semantics. I dont think it is always the most effective way to go about things but I do believe like many other tools this way of argumentation does have its place. Of course, I think on a certain level it also does break down to a variance in personal preference as well. Because who am I to say that someone might understand the argument as a whole better when they break it down. I know that might not seem to make sense at first but "hands-on" learners dont think "visual" learners make much sense either. So I think it also is just partly comprehending how others understand things, then judging it based on merit and not personal preferance/rhetoric/or style.
Old 2012-07-10, 08:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #972
Kashis
Private

Why would you bunch Atheist/Skeptic/Agnostic together? They are completely different. Thats like bunching Christian/Muslim/Catholic together.

I feel like everyone's on crazy pills of stupidity.

@pursellTR
The Arm Of Decision In Battle
Keep It Simple, Stupid.
Old 2012-07-10, 08:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #973
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Kashis View Post
Why would you bunch Atheist/Skeptic/Agnostic together? They are completely different. Thats like bunching Christian/Muslim/Catholic together.

I can do better than that. I lump in Hindus, pagans and Zaraostrians with them and call the entire group "theist".
Old 2012-07-10, 08:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #974
ItsTheSheppy
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Kashis View Post

Haha, welcome to the thread. This has been brought up about 12 times at this point.
Old 2012-07-10, 10:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #975
Xyntech
Brigadier General

I can do better than that. I lump in Hindus, pagans and Zaraostrians with them and call the entire group "theist".
Just so long as your picking and choosing the right Hindus to lump in as theists

I think everyone would be a lot better off if we took Carlin's advice and treated our religious beliefs like we treat out penis. Don't wave it around in public and don't stick it in kids.

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Political Debate Forum