Driver/Gunners... NO! - Page 7 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Prevents stomach cancer
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-07-10, 06:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #91
fod
Master Sergeant

Re: Driver/Gunners... NO!

Originally Posted by Azarga View Post
I'm all for Driver-gunners.

I drive well. I shoot well. I can efficiently do both at the same time. I buy the tank with my own resources. Why should I allow someone potentially decrease the effectiveness of _my_ tank by manning my tank's main gun and being bad at, well, shooting?

Shooting is basicaly half of the tank's usefulness, amirite? This person have to be very good gunner to rich the driver-gunner efficiency simply because driver-gunner always knows how his tank will move next moment, he doesn't have to react to it, he fully controls it.

Teamwork is great and stuff, but only when it contributes to efficiency, not limits it. Let the secondary gun be powerful enough, that will make a gunner a welcome addition to a unit if he's good, but won't cut unit's effectiveness by half if he's lame.
what if the driver cant shoot well?

I drive well. I buy the tank with my own resources. Why cant I allow someone to potentially increase the effectiveness of _my_ tank by manning my tank's main gun and being good at, well, shooting?

is this not contributing to efficiency?
Old 2012-07-10, 06:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #92
TheDAWinz
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by fod View Post

I drive well. I buy the tank with my own resources. Why cant I allow someone to potentially increase the effectiveness of _my_ tank by manning my tank's main gun and being good at, well, shooting?

Because you may drive off somewhere and he will be still focused on a target, then you will get blown to shit because he was still focused somewhere, atleast when you drive you are aware of your surroundings.
Old 2012-07-10, 06:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #93
Khellendros
Staff Sergeant

I second the motion that the driver should have as many configuration options as possible, such as delegating main guns to driver and whatnot.

I consider this essential.
Old 2012-07-10, 06:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #94
Sephirex
Major

Agreed, I'm a terrible shot myself!
In fact for the infantry portions of the game, I would love Wii mote support. That way my nephew can work the gun and shoot at enemies, while I concentrate on movement.
I just don't see myself playing this game any other way.
Old 2012-07-10, 06:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #95
fod
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by TheDAWinz View Post
Because you may drive off somewhere and he will be still focused on a target, then you will get blown to shit because he was still focused somewhere, atleast when you drive you are aware of your surroundings.
also he might see a threat that you did not and handle it without you even knowing

it can work both ways
Old 2012-07-10, 06:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #96
TheDAWinz
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Sephirex View Post
Agreed, I'm a terrible shot myself!
In fact for the infantry portions of the game, I would love Wii mote support. That way my nephew can work the gun and shoot at enemies, while I concentrate on movement.
I just don't see myself playing this game any other way.
Thanks for the laugh man.

also he might see a threat that you did not and handle it without you even knowing

it can work both ways
Yeah, and you would still do jack shit. You would still drive off untill its too late.
Old 2012-07-10, 06:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #97
Furret
First Sergeant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by MrKWalmsley View Post
You are forgetting a pretty simple and obvious solution to this. Build the damn thing, then get out, and let your partner get in, thereby taking the driver seat. Seriously, I cannot see how you did not see this blatant fix which would take only a few seconds.
Did you even play ps1? You need the cert to drive it, not just to pull it.
Old 2012-07-10, 06:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #98
Littleman
First Lieutenant

If it's possible to give the driver the choice to hand off the handling of the main cannon to the "gunner," allowing the option is obviously the answer.

However, if it's not something that can be done without an overhaul of some kind (especially regarding the Magrider,) then sticking with the driver-gunners concept is for the best in my opinion.
Old 2012-07-10, 06:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #99
fod
Master Sergeant

Yeah, and you would still do jack shit. You would still drive off untill its too late.

"you would still do jack shit" i dont get this can you explain further?

there has been many MANY times in ps1 when my gunner/gunners have got kills that i did not know about - people behind me while i was concentrating ahead or while trying to escape battle the gunner takes out the tank following me
Old 2012-07-10, 06:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #100
BorisBlade
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Traingye View Post
Also I don't think we should underestimate the importance of the AA turret manned by a gunner. I think with this position empty the tank is going to be a sitting duck to air vehicles.
No, not true at all. You can instantly magically switch to any seat in the vehicle without gettin out. So if you are driving along and need aa, hit your seat switch button and instantly fire your aa, just as easy as a fire mode switch. There is no real downside to not having a gunner unless your secondary gun is also AV in which case you'd want em both firing at the same time.

Letting drivers gun and letting them do instant magic switching inside the vehicle is just lame and boring. Teamwork comes down to working in vehicles too. Vehicles just turn into overgrown maxes when they are solo. Its simplistic and lame and not epic in the least.

Seeing a bunch of multi crewed tanks coming at you feels epic. When its just a bunch of lame solo tanks, its boring run of the mill and just seems like a bunch of people with an armor buff instead of actual tanks and a real battle.

The game just loses alot of its epic feel when its every man for himself and just a bunch of rambos runnin around with armor buffs rather than real multi crewed tanks.

Plus not having that fun of workin with teammates in a vehicle is lost and that is one of the best ways to keep people playing by giving them fun social experiences. In a game that needs to last more than an initial sell, the social aspect is very important. Just in a squad together is no where near the same as being in the same vehicle, not even close.
Waiting for the return of the superior, real PS style teamwork oriented vehicles with drivers not gunning, and in fixed vehicle slots so we can once again have real, epic, vehicle battles where the tanks actually move in combat rather than a silly 1700's era line up and shoot.
Old 2012-07-10, 06:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #101
CorvicM
Private

Originally Posted by Azarga View Post
I'm all for Driver-gunners.

I drive well. I shoot well. I can efficiently do both at the same time. I buy the tank with my own resources. Why should I allow someone potentially decrease the effectiveness of _my_ tank by manning my tank's main gun and being bad at, well, shooting?

Shooting is basicaly half of the tank's usefulness, amirite? This person have to be very good gunner to rich the driver-gunner efficiency simply because driver-gunner always knows how his tank will move next moment, he doesn't have to react to it, he fully controls it.

Teamwork is great and stuff, but only when it contributes to efficiency, not limits it. Let the secondary gun be powerful enough, that will make a gunner a welcome addition to a unit if he's good, but won't cut unit's effectiveness by half if he's lame.
Originally Posted by SixShooter View Post
As a long time lightning fan I'm not at all concerned with the diver/gunner issue. I will of course make sure that I have a good secondary gunner whenever I'm in a Mag. The top gunner can make all the difference in PS2 it seems.
So what im getting here is that you all want to shoot and drive at the same time, that's fine. but then why not remove the lightning as u are just about the same as one just beefier and slightly (if at all) slower.

thats the problem there is no need for the lightning. so u can fit a "gunner" that can have a peashooter. and the point is?
Old 2012-07-10, 06:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #102
Littleman
First Lieutenant

Boris, your sig, you'll be waiting a LONG time...

Seat switching has a timer attached to it. Certs reduce the time it takes to switch seats. Same for exiting the vehicle.
Old 2012-07-10, 06:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #103
TheDAWinz
Sergeant Major

"you would still do jack shit" i dont get this can you explain further?

there has been many MANY times in ps1 when my gunner/gunners have got kills that i did not know about - people behind me while i was concentrating ahead or while trying to escape battle the gunner takes out the tank following me
I've played ARMA 2 enough to where the point where i was gunning in the ABRAMS and im like Dude turn this fucking behemoth around theres a fucking tank on our 8 oclock man! Too late, we are dead.
Old 2012-07-10, 06:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #104
Bruttal
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by RadarX View Post
I believe Matt Higby has addressed this a few times. While the potential for gunners in certain vehicles is a possibility, many vehicles will have the driver as the gunner. This is the design system the dev team has chosen to utilize at this time.
I still think the magrider needs a redesign so they can have a poviting turret atop, ID inless they turn incredibly fast then its just a huge sitting duck.
Old 2012-07-10, 06:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #105
KaB
Corporal

Because a irresponsible driver in charge of three people would waste more resources then being in charge of two people. Simple as that.
If the driver is the vehicle's buyer, and if he's able to get any passengers he wants out of the vehicle, that would solve your problem. Oh... But SOE already thought about this idea many years ago for PS1.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion