Key Parts of PS1 Vehicle Combat Missing from PS2 - Page 7 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: You have gained 100 BEP for reading this quote.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-09-27, 01:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #91
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Re: Key Parts of PS1 Vehicle Combat Missing from PS2

Originally Posted by 2coolforu View Post
A simple solution would be to perhaps make 2 seperate cert trees for tanks, one can produce a tank that the driver guns himself and the other tree produces a tank that requires someone else to gun the main cannon. The one man tank would be similar to a lightning relative to the two man tank however that's the price that driver pays to put in zero effort to teamwork, the reward he gets is the most powerful one man frontline combat vehicle. The two man tank driver gets a far more powerful tank at the cost of requiring teamwork and sacrificing getting all the glory, obviously he would recieve a massive assist bonus and he would have the benefit of being 'that guy with the awesome tank' and everyone would want to hop in.
I can see some sharing of certs since single-man and teamwork tanks are similar vehicles, but otherwise I like this idea.

From the PC gamer interview higby also mentions the empire-specific fighters have the same sort of characteristics as the tanks - one-size-fits-all, however they still retain the mosquito and reaver, which seems strange to me.

Fundamentally someone trains up a 2-man tank to be a strong team player. It's another support role. They seem to understand that a medic or engineer doesn't train up those things to help themselves - a tank driver, gal pilot, or bomber pilot is no different. A gun is not necessary, but like Planetside 1 there should be options for people who want that one-man army style. But they should also always be significantly weaker than the teamwork vehicles.

This is precisely what I see missing in PS2.
Old 2011-09-27, 01:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #92
Sifer2
Major

Yeah I think that comment about them basically making the BFR mistake over again is dead on. And they don't even realize what they are doing. They just get too carried away with the ideas of all these imaginary subs they will get if they just make this a little easier or that a bit more accessible. An then before you know it the whole thing is broken like it was with BFR's with solo pwn mobiles.

I'm kind of losing the faith already. SOE always does this it seems like. They want more money so they try changing this an that an ruin their games. Every time history just repeats itself. Too early to say for sure of course but its already pointing that way.
Old 2011-09-27, 09:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #93
moosepoop
Captain

this is because sony is a monolithic , strictly hiearchal company. profit is number 1. where is other companies like valve, making a good game is number 1.

if you make an amazing game, it will sell itself. treat the playerbase like numbers on a histogram never works out well.

Last edited by moosepoop; 2011-09-27 at 09:55 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion