this is disconcerting... - Page 7 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Wow, you could use that thing as a tripod.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-08-06, 04:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #91
Shylan
Private

Re: this is disconcerting...

Originally Posted by TtD View Post
Mechanics are easy to change over time, 'feel' is a lot more permanent and harder to tweak.
Yeah, going by your separation of mechanics and feel, it's CoD's weapon mechanics that put me off. The feel is alright, I guess, but it's nothing to write home about, in my opinion.
Old 2012-08-06, 05:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #92
TtD
Private

Originally Posted by Shylan View Post
Yeah, going by your separation of mechanics and feel, it's CoD's weapon mechanics that put me off. The feel is alright, I guess, but it's nothing to write home about, in my opinion.
It's certainly got worse over the years, as i've said, they've added in a tonne of really pointless eye candy in recent iterations that have badly damaged what they had in place circa CoD2. Locational sound has been awful since CoD4 as they ramped up the fidelity to try and match what BF was doing, the extra graphics pushes on the same modified engine has led to greater netcode instability, and PunkBuster's (and other anti-cheats used) ever increasing spread has hit the netcode as well. You throw in some of their own anti-cheat coding (the blackops anti-rapid fire macro programming was an absolute carcrash and caused incessant gun jams for a lot of clean people) and the resultant drop off in server sizes that have come with these changes and you get a far bleaker place for the franchise. It's still ahead of the BF guys for the most part series-wise despite BF's superior mechanics, but looking back at the past, CoD2 was likely one of the best 'feel' games of the past decade and they've only gone backwards since.

You throw in the consolisation of the mechanics and you get to the sad state you have today.

PS2 will live and die by it's netcode and it's meta game in all likelyhood, much as PS1 survived on it's meta game. If they get the mechanics and 'feel' solid though, it's where this game has the possibility of greatness.
Old 2012-08-06, 05:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #93
Shylan
Private

Originally Posted by TtD View Post
If they get the mechanics and 'feel' solid though, it's where this game has the possibility of greatness.
And I certainly hope they do. It seems like they have so far, though, from the demo videos. Of course, I won't get to find out for myself for another 3 weeks or so, most likely. I'm a bet key holder, and couldn't be bothered to spend the $33.00 to buy Planetside 1 and a 1-month subscription, just to get into the beta today.

Last edited by Shylan; 2012-08-06 at 05:18 PM.
Old 2012-08-06, 05:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #94
TheDAWinz
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post
Yes, but is it ridiculous (mods)?
Stop dude i literally chocked on my coffee laughing. That thread makes me so lol! Rediculous mods!!!
Old 2012-08-06, 05:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #95
Toppopia
Major

Originally Posted by Piper View Post
No I don't mean over the shoulder, I mean model the entire body but put the camera at eye level (no peripheral vision of course to help ) and then if you have a key to toggle head movement you can see your body. Also when rag-dolling through the air with an explosion etc.

Actually...didn't the original ArmA game do that?
I have wondered why games don;t just make everyone in 3rd person, then move your view point to your eyes, like Mount and Blade, when you change to first or 3rd person view, the game still looks the same and reacts the same, its just a different view point, where as games decide "Oh, lets make a first person look great, but when you watch someone else do something, lets make it suck"

Like COD Black Ops, reloading a revolver, first person looks fine, then watch someone do it, they pull out an imaginary magazine and reload it like that instead the proper way. And the list goes on...
Old 2012-08-06, 05:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #96
Shylan
Private

Originally Posted by Toppopia View Post
I have wondered why games don;t just make everyone in 3rd person, then move your view point to your eyes
Because it requires the dev team to create an entirely different camera system, and in a lot of cases an entirely different set of animations, and often different models, too. And all of that costs time, money and effort.

Last edited by Shylan; 2012-08-06 at 05:43 PM.
Old 2012-08-06, 05:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #97
Toppopia
Major

Originally Posted by Shylan View Post
Because it requires the dev team to create an entirely different camera system, and in a lot of cases an entirely different set of animations, and often different models, too. And all of that costs time, money and effort.
Actually, you would only be creating 1 set of animations, because normally they make animations in first person, then they make them in 3rd person, so if they left the 1st person out and did it all in 3rd person, it sounds like less work from what i can think of. But i could be wrong.

Edit: And if a independent developer of barely a few people can do it, i don't see how a massive company couldn't do it easier and less money/time.

This is from playing Mount and Blade and Mount and Blade Warband, so unless they don't do what i think they did, then i am wrong about everything

Last edited by Toppopia; 2012-08-06 at 05:58 PM.
Old 2012-08-06, 10:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #98
selmu
Private

I really dont want a combat like CoD. Run and gun like a retard, getting kills running without recoil, with perfect accuracy.

If you shot once in real life you know its impossible run and shot(in the target) at the same time. I prefer something with spot, crunch aim shot kill. Not something like press shift when you spot someone press the fire button and the aim at same time, get the kill run again like cod.
Old 2012-08-07, 08:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #99
Salad Snake
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Flaropri View Post
*(Is "taste" the right word for this? Smokers, let me know, I'm curious.)
It's really more "feel". Smoking makes me "feel" alert, yet not tense but actually more calm at the same time. It's a good feeling, health degeneration notwithstanding. Iirc that whole "wakes you up but keeps you loose" feeling lead to tobacco becoming a habit of ancient Mayan warriors before battle. Random fact.

Originally Posted by selmu View Post
I really dont want a combat like CoD. Run and gun like a retard, getting kills running without recoil, with perfect accuracy.

If you shot once in real life you know its impossible run and shot(in the target) at the same time. I prefer something with spot, crunch aim shot kill. Not something like press shift when you spot someone press the fire button and the aim at same time, get the kill run again like cod.
That's more the realm of weapon balance, which will certainly not be ANYTHING like CoD. What we're talking about is the feel of the guns, the sounds, animations, and visuals produced by the weapons themselves. Not so much the performance.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion