THE solution for Darklight. - Page 8 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Am I in heaven?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2004-08-22, 10:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #106
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Apocolypse55
Stop whining and play.
Problems don't always fix themselves. There's always a chance that the developers might read what goes on here and actually take a closer look at some of the issues commonly considered flawed in the game right now. There's no harm in discussions like this, and you don't have to read them.
Old 2004-08-23, 12:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #107
Atlas24
Corporal

I didn't feel like reading the insane amount of total crap b4 this so don't burn me for repeating some1 else.

I am a dedicated stealther. I run in the devil dogs shadow team, and i am totally certed for cloaking. (not that it matterz)

Now i wil try to take an outsiders view, and not be subjective here.
I believe that DL is a little overpowered, what with it being one of the shorter implants to initialize, as well as being insanely easy to use.

When you are outside, DL is no prob, run around a tree, run out of range, etc.
Inside is a diff story, and YES there are dl flickerers don't feed me that crap. I understand that cloakers are not invincible, i think DL offers a challenge. BUT i believe a solution would be to have a initialize time on it, just like with surge, but maybe longer.

Comments?

666th SH4D0W 0wnZ J00!
Old 2004-08-23, 04:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #108
Meursault00
Staff Sergeant

Viewing range is a bigger problem (at least it seems so to me). Make it shorter, waaayyyy shorter.
Old 2004-08-23, 06:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #109
juggalokilla
Sergeant

I split my time evenly between between agile and infil, so i see both sides of this argument. I get good kills on a infil run, if you dont, carry a spiker, it owns. You will always be on the short end as an infil , especially getting in that close to fight someone armored. Kinda like a lightning to a prowler. If someone's guarding the cc with darklight, tough, thats not where you should be going after.Thats the job for infantry. If you insist, place a boomer outside the door, run in and back out. they'll follow. you have your places that you should be. Stick to places that your not being looked for. Your supposed to be sneaky. If you are a decent cloaker, you should have more kills than deaths, as with any role you play.

I see cloaking is more for doing the bastard things that i do, drop gens, blow spawn tubes if possible, ghost hack, and my new favorite, hacking an anti infantry max in a busy spawn room, makes them poop themselves. I kill a lot of cloakers, i often flicker, because i infil often, and know where I would be. But most of my infil kills are from those running around in a feild, base, wherever at full speed, you are easily seen running. Or if i go walking around anywhere, and i bump into something that a dont see, I'll scan the area. If you dont do anything suspicous, like boomers, or pistol kills people will have less reason to flicker. If you are doing those, you cant expect people to not look for you and check frequently around the room.

Give dl a 10 point stamina drain on activation with regular drain after that, limited veiw of 5 meters, and restrict it to only first person veiw like how zoom only works first person. youll have less random flicking for no reason and it doesnt take away from those that use it for what its meant to, and limits the exploits that are being used.
Thats my perspective. Love it or hate it. Know your role, do what your there for.

EDIT: must have missed firefly's statement earlier. I see he and i are on similar pages

Last edited by juggalokilla; 2004-08-23 at 06:30 AM.
Old 2004-08-23, 07:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #110
Rayder
General

Misc Info

You do realise 5 meters is staring down the barrel of the enemy gun, don't you?
Old 2004-08-23, 07:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #111
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

I think the only thing reasonable is to rais the charge time and increase the stamina drain
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none

Last edited by Lonehunter; 2004-08-23 at 07:51 AM.
Old 2004-08-23, 01:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #112
hex222
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Rayder
You do realise 5 meters is staring down the barrel of the enemy gun, don't you?
well knifing them from teh front is just sucidal...
Old 2004-08-23, 03:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #113
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Atlas24
When you are outside, DL is no prob, run around a tree, run out of range, etc.
Inside is a diff story, and YES there are dl flickerers don't feed me that crap. I understand that cloakers are not invincible, i think DL offers a challenge. BUT i believe a solution would be to have a initialize time on it, just like with surge, but maybe longer.

Comments?
The only thing that will do is make it harder to fight off an infiltrator attacking you. There is really nothing to prevent someone from still fickering DL if it had a small delay like Surge.
Old 2004-08-23, 07:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #114
juggalokilla
Sergeant

the only time infil are a threat to you is at close range, beyond that, you wouldnt and shouldnt know they are there.
Old 2004-08-23, 10:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #115
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by juggalokilla
the only time infil are a threat to you is at close range, beyond that, you wouldnt and shouldnt know they are there.
Grenades, pistols. The former especially.

Granted you could still consider grenade range "close", relative to, say, the threat range of a sniper, but overall infiltrators tend to be their most dangerous when they're not very close to you, I find, either because they're dropping boomers/spitfires and running, or because they're lobbing grenades or maybe using a pistol to snipe wounded people.

Last edited by Warborn; 2004-08-23 at 10:28 PM.
Old 2004-08-24, 10:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #116
Madcow
Lieutenant Colonel

I'm starting to feel more strongly that Dark Light shouldn't work in vehicles. Hunting an armorless foe who absolutely can not have AV is just weak. If you want to know exactly where they are, get out and turn the implant on. For those that say that's not 'realistic' I ask you exactly how you're seeing out of many of the vehicles anyhow. Some have windows (which should have blind spots and don't) and some don't even have those.

Also, last night I ended up inside a base in my AA MAX. A door opened and I saw a boomer on the ground. I shot it 3 times, walked through the door, turned and opened fire on the spot I would have stood. Down goes infiltrator. No Dark Light used, didn't even have to worry about plasma and was still able to do it. Amazing, no? The game does go on and you do have a chance without the implant. Of course that kill was more gratifying than if I'd hunted down 100 using Dark Light, but we all have different objectives in the game.
Old 2004-08-24, 11:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #117
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Madcow
I'm starting to feel more strongly that Dark Light shouldn't work in vehicles. Hunting an armorless foe who absolutely can not have AV is just weak. If you want to know exactly where they are, get out and turn the implant on.
If you think it's weak then don't do it, if you think it's not fair a driver can use DL, then don't cloak. A cloaker shouldn't really be close to a moving vehicle anyhow, but if so that's why I always carry jammers. All these things supposedly stacked up against cloakers makes it fun, exciting and challenging. If there was a way no one could see me at all that would just fucking suck.
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none
Old 2004-08-24, 11:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #118
Queensidecastle
Contributor
Major

If you think it's weak then don't do it, if you think it's not fair a driver can use DL, then don't cloak.
A much better option is to continue to push for change. 3rd person Darklight needs to go
Old 2004-08-24, 11:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #119
Madcow
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Lonehunter187
If you think it's weak then don't do it, if you think it's not fair a driver can use DL, then don't cloak. A cloaker shouldn't really be close to a moving vehicle anyhow, but if so that's why I always carry jammers. All these things supposedly stacked up against cloakers makes it fun, exciting and challenging. If there was a way no one could see me at all that would just fucking suck.
Don't be close to a moving vehicle? You may be blissfully unaware of this, but you often don't have a choice. See, vehicles can actually move faster than I do when I run. Of course, if I'm running I'm entirely too visible and vehicles are actually significantly faster than me when I crouch walk. Oddly enough, they also seem much faster than me when I'm stationary. So far the only place I've found that I'm faster than vehicles is underwater, but that seems to open up a whole new can of worms.

It's fun, exciting and challenging trying to avoid being run over by random vehicles that can't see you. It's fun, exciting and challenging to watch yourself fall down dead 10 feet away from a vehicle thanks to the magic of client side hit detection. How in the world would it suck if people in vehicles couldn't see you without the implant? They could still see you if you moved, they could still get out and toast you with Dark Light, they just couldn't blast you because they were lame enough to creep around searching for a cloaker in a no-lose situation.

Bring the skill back to Planetside.
Old 2004-08-24, 11:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #120
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

What? No DL in vehicles? But then how will mosquitoes and reavers be able to go close to the ground, flick on DL and shoot you?

I'd also be in favor of removing DL from vehicle use.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion