Customization Woes - Page 9 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: WTF? this isn't www.jackdaniels.com
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-05-06, 01:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #121
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

Re: Customization Woes

Originally Posted by Sledgecrushr View Post
I do agree that if you purchase the neon pink and green sunderer camo then you sould be able to turn it off. It sounds like a win win for PS2.
Hater.
Old 2012-05-06, 01:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #122
Kipper
Captain

Originally Posted by LostAlgorithm View Post
I absolutely encourage them to develop a wide array of customizations. I simply also absolutely fail to see why anyone would get upset, other than to just whine as many gamers are want to do, about others paying for the option to not have to see them.
You're still missing the point.

Nobody who buys customisations is going to be upset that some people can't see them, it's just that knowing that the option is there devalues the proposition. Some people won't be willing to pay as much, some won't be willing to pay at all.

The game is there to make money for the developers. They make it cool and awesome and fun in order to get you to play it, and spend money on it.
Old 2012-05-06, 01:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #123
LostAlgorithm
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by ArmedZealot View Post
Because the money that you pay would keep me from paying money. And the money that you pay would likely be a lot less then what I will pay.
Why are you so concerned that people who don't care for the skins that you use see them? Really, think about this. What do you or the game actually lose? They aren't going to compliment you on the skin. They aren't going to go and buy that skin as a result of seeing you use it. If anything, it will work to turn them off from the game.

And the money I pay will likely be a lot less than what you would pay regardless. And I really don't think it's fair to ask someone to pay full price for each individual skin just to hide it. An option like I described would cause me to spend more overall, both for this purchase and possibly due to me sticking around longer due to an increase in my enjoyment of the game. That sticking around means I buy more customizations and other add-ons that I DO like.

It really is a win-win.
Old 2012-05-06, 01:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #124
Mechzz
Major

Why do people take these scenarios to such extremes? There will still be plenty of people around who will be impressed by your neon pink and green camo Sunderer.
A different aspect of skins which I think we've missed is that some people will buy them so they can see how cool they are on that spinny-toon view they get when they review their certs. So people will still buy skins if only to amuse themselves.

I also think that most people will not use the option to turn off the view of customisation, since seeing the goofball that just killed you will be amusing.

But I would definitely support the right of those who don't want to see customisation to not see it.
Old 2012-05-06, 01:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #125
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Mechzz View Post
A different aspect of skins which I think we've missed is that some people will buy them so they can see how cool they are on that spinny-toon view they get when they review their certs. So people will still buy skins if only to amuse themselves.
Not only this but there will likely be a death recap screen to replace the kill cam. So you would see me everytime I killed you.

Originally Posted by Mechzz View Post
But I would definitely support the right of those who don't want to see customisation to not see it.
It's not a right, it'd be a privilege. A privilege you would have to pay for. Just as much as I'd have the privilege of killing you in golden armor.

The argument is what would make more money for the developers.

Last edited by ArmedZealot; 2012-05-06 at 01:19 PM.
Old 2012-05-06, 01:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #126
LostAlgorithm
Staff Sergeant

Nobody who buys customisations is going to be upset that some people can't see them, it's just that knowing that the option is there devalues the proposition. Some people won't be willing to pay as much, some won't be willing to pay at all.
How does it devalue it? The skins are going to be pretty dirt cheap anyway. You're saying someone would really feel like spending $2 for a skin is too much because a few of the players might not get to see it? Please explain why it matters to that person that those people, who don't want to see it in the first place, see it? There is no value lost, only value gained due to more people enjoying the game in the way they prefer.
Old 2012-05-06, 01:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #127
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

How does it devalue it? The skins are going to be pretty dirt cheap anyway.
The devs haven't released any pricing information. Going off of Tribes: Ascend skins will not be cheap, and will likely be 8-10$.
Old 2012-05-06, 01:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #128
LostAlgorithm
Staff Sergeant

The devs haven't released any pricing information. Going off of Tribes: Ascend skins will not be cheap, and will likely be 8-10$.
Look at the camo options in the original pics. You'd honestly be willing to pay $8 to $10 dollars, nearly one fifth to one sixth the price of a fully developed game, for that?

If the devs do actually want to make money, they won't set the prices that high.
Old 2012-05-06, 01:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #129
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

Look at the camo options in the original pics. You'd honestly be willing to pay $8 to $10 dollars, nearly one fifth to one sixth the price of a fully developed game, for that?

If the devs do actually want to make money, they won't set the prices that high.
I'm just basing that number off what I have seen in another game with a similar shop.

I wouldn't pay 10$ for camo, but I would pay 10$ for other skins, like player skins with golden armor or some such. It's up to players taste to be honest, and it is the dev's job to make sure they cover enough tastes per skin to make them profitable.
Old 2012-05-06, 01:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #130
LostAlgorithm
Staff Sergeant

I'm just basing that number off what I have seen in another game with a similar shop.

I wouldn't pay 10$ for camo, but I would pay 10$ for other skins, like player skins with golden armor or some such. It's up to players taste to be honest, and it is the dev's job to make sure they cover enough tastes per skin to make them profitable.
I still fail to see how it devalues it enough for it to matter. The players who use the option to hide it won't care that you have golden armor. The purchase is worth the same value regardless, you just think it has more value because you can shove it in more people's faces. The value is an illusion as they already don't care.
Old 2012-05-06, 01:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #131
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

I still fail to see how it devalues it enough for it to matter. The players who use the option to hide it won't care that you have golden armor. The purchase is worth the same value regardless, you just think it has more value because you can shove it in more people's faces. The value is an illusion as they already don't care.
The value of an appearance is how people see you with it. If people don't see you with it, it's value is lessened.

It may seem like an illusion but it isn't. People treat you differently based on how you look, that is true in games and in real life.

I am willing to pay to be treated differently. But if people will treat me the same as a player that doesn't pay anything then what is the point in paying anything?
Old 2012-05-06, 01:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #132
Mechzz
Major

Not only this but there will likely be a death recap screen to replace the kill cam. So you would see me everytime I killed you.
Agreed. I thought of this as I wrote it. I assume LostAlgorithm's solution would include turning the recap screen back to vanilla also.

It's not a right, it'd be a privilege. A privilege you would have to pay for. Just as much as I'd have the privilege of killing you in golden armor.
Agreed. Turning off customisation views should be paid for, as LostAlgorithm also said.

The argument is what would make more money for the developers.
I have to agree on this also. The "give up the main gun" argument went something like this too, so who knows, maybe it'll turn up as an option in the game.

I'd like to be a fly on the wall when Higby et al discuss this!
Old 2012-05-06, 01:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #133
LostAlgorithm
Staff Sergeant

The value of an appearance is how people see you with it. If people don't see you with it, it's value is lessened.

It may seem like an illusion but it isn't. People treat you differently based on how you look, that is true in games and in real life.

I am willing to pay to be treated differently. But if people will treat me the same as a player that doesn't pay anything then what is the point in paying anything?
The only people who will treat you differently are the ones who care. The ones who don't? Either they won't treat you differently at all or, if anything, they'll treat you more poorly. If they will treat you either the same or worse than a player that doesn't pay anything, then what is the point in complaining if they can have an option to pay to hide the skin?

The illusion is that you seem to think there is some value in what those people who don't care think. There is zero value. They. Do. Not. Care.
Old 2012-05-06, 01:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #134
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

The illusion is that you seem to think there is some value in what those people who don't care think. There is zero value. They. Do. Not. Care.
Just because they do not care does not mean they do not treat me differently.
Old 2012-05-06, 01:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #135
LostAlgorithm
Staff Sergeant

Just because they do not care does not mean they do not treat me differently.
Please explain how you are expecting them to treat you differently then.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion