SmedBlog: eSports Support - Page 9 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: LLU: ANT: AMS: Auuugh! Too Many Acronyms!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-08-12, 09:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #121
Stardouser
Colonel

Re: SmedBlog: eSports Support

Originally Posted by Goblin View Post
. Imagine that the entire car is free...
I am not disagreeing with your overall argument, but to the extent you may be making this comparison to a free car because planetside 2 is "free 2 play", free2play is really a misnomer, but even if it were truly "free 2 play", if the game doesn't turn out the way a person hopes, then it's not accurate to say that because the game is free, you didn't lose anything just because no money was spent, but instead, if the game doesn't turn out playable in accordance with a person's tastes, it's actually a huge loss to that person. That is, someone looking forward to a real MMOFPS game, if this one is unplayable for them, then they are stuck waiting and hoping another company will come along and do one. I am not aware of any other real PC MMOFPS games coming out or even in development, except for Firefall and Defiance which appear to be PvE focused.

And I'm saying the above as a general statement, not specific to PS1 vets, but obviously a PS1 vet is a lot more likely to take issue with PS2's decisions than others. And I would like to point out that as an Everquest veteran, I'm fairly certain that Everquest Next is going to put me in the same position that PS1 vets are in, that is, saying that it's only Everquest in name and theme but not in gameplay - I certainly don't look forward to that.

Last edited by Stardouser; 2012-08-12 at 09:14 AM.
Old 2012-08-12, 09:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #122
ikon
Master Sergeant

i personally would like to see counterstrike style of planetside 2 esport (except it would be on a much larger scale. thinking 48people since that's how big groups will be)

yes you can only die once but allow medic rezzing

take peoples characters to a completely new server, give them a specific target(base's good for that # of people).

have a money system similar to cs that allows purchase of vehicles,weapons, etc
give them all implants unlocked and somehow manage certs.
gain money from successful assaults/kills/vehicle kills, etc.

allow a planing stage, give them the ability to create an assault plan and a defense plan.

give a few minutes of start up time for defenses to be set up, people to be set, vehicles to be purchased.

allow the rest of the population to select the server and watch as observers ( free floating cam or wuteva)
allow platoons to customize their groups, easily know who they are by their looks

could go up to more people(96 or 144 or bigger)

Last edited by ikon; 2012-08-12 at 09:16 AM.
Old 2012-08-12, 09:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #123
OnexBigxHebrew
Sergeant Major

Hey smed: go for it. People here have an overwhelming need to be long winded and dramatic while overstating the effects of any number of game aspects.

Its your game, and it's just not that big of a deal. That'll be fine for those of us don't need planetside to be our life's great pursuit, and just want to play a fun video game with a cool concept. I really hope you don't take the hardcore drama from these people as how the vast majority of players would react. These are the same people who said ADS and modern graphics would ruin ps2, after all.
Old 2012-08-12, 09:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #124
Goblin
Private

Stardouser if you consider this (adding esport support) something that makes the game unplayable then i'm not really going to bother trying to have a sensible discussion with you.
Old 2012-08-12, 09:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #125
Crator
Major General

Originally Posted by Tatwi View Post
I can't help but feel that E-Sports nothing more than dollars and man hours thrown at a niche of the gaming world that majority of gamers couldn't really give a shit about. It makes me sad that time will be taken away from actual Planetside 2 game development for this. If SOE wants to sub contract a marketing company to handle E-Sports, that's fine, because they would have to meet their metrics and make it work within the frame work of the game itself. But spending man hours on it, for the five or six new players it might bring to the game, it's a complete waste.

The sad reality that Blizzard constantly screwed up how classes functioned in PvE and normal PvP for the sake of making them work better in arenas is what pissed off most WoW players about E-Sports in WoW. It's not treated like a second game and it has had a negative impact on game as a result. Want details? Google it.
Well, I don't have too much knowledge about e-sports but the above quoted is pretty much how I feel about the entire thing.

EDIT: Never mind. I saw that Smed posted that's it's more about shout-casting (streaming live). I'm all for that idea!

Last edited by Crator; 2012-08-12 at 09:44 AM.
Old 2012-08-12, 09:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #126
Stardouser
Colonel

Stardouser if you consider this (adding esport support) something that makes the game unplayable then i'm not really going to bother trying to have a sensible discussion with you.
This is why I said "I am not disagreeing with your overall argument", your argument being, of course, about e-sports. You need to pay attention to the details. I was not talking about e-sports at ALL. I was cherry-picking the comment about "free" and talking about that specifically, as a separate issue on its own, because I see a lot of people expressing the idea that because it's free 2 play, it doesn't matter whether SOE listens to feedback or not. People say "it's free 2 play, if you don't like it you didn't spend any money so it's OK". And I'm saying it's not OK, because it means the only real MMOFPS that is in development right now is a bust for a person if it turns out unplayable, whatever the reason may be.

I have defended the e-sports concept, as it happens. I'm just saying that the "it doesn't matter what they do because it's free2play" argument doesn't account for the loss of the only real MMOFPS game.
Old 2012-08-12, 10:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #127
Revanmug
Sergeant

Vanu Infiltrator: I was gonna stab you dude but it looks like we're alone on the server.
TR medic: Yeah, looks like everyone is off playing that DAMNED ESPORTS!

Yup, totally sure that's gonna happen.
If we could put the people that can't read on an isolate island and leave them to die, it would be glorious.
The VIP tracker ain't there to be pretty ya know...

This is the exact reason why I said I wouldn't comment until further detail. ESport is so vague and different for people that throwing that up can mean soo many things. Smed just prove that point. For many, eSport just mean matchmaking. For others, it mean tools to make watching and analazing a possibility which is what Smed is talking about and I am fully behind that.

Who in their right mind is against more tools given to the player?!

Last edited by Revanmug; 2012-08-12 at 10:46 AM.
Old 2012-08-12, 10:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #128
Arcsilver
Private

How would it be bad to have a tournament held on a private server every once in awhile featuring 2 outfits?? How often would an esports game take place?

Not only that, i really doubt it would affect the main game. it would play on a server away from the rest. Also, how cool would it be to send a drone strike down in the middle of one of those games...

Last edited by Arcsilver; 2012-08-12 at 11:32 AM.
Old 2012-08-12, 11:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #129
Grims
Private

Wow i cant begin to understand how some of you people can be so rude to smed! I have never seen a company that is so involved with the community!

If you dont like something that they are coming up with than post something that outlines the pro's and con's and not just wine about it. Not to mention make rude comments directed at the CEO of SOE who comes onto these forums and tries to be involved with us!

Smed keep up the great work and im happy you take the time to come onto these forums and share your ideas with us!
Old 2012-08-12, 11:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #130
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Crator View Post
EDIT: Never mind. I saw that Smed posted that's it's more about shout-casting (streaming live). I'm all for that idea!
I wish he explained it that way in the first place.... wasted my 15 minutes of fame on being forum pwnd by the CEO of my favorite gaming company.
Old 2012-08-12, 12:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #131
MrMeatSticks
Private

aslong as anybody can get on the to do casting, i say this as i have been playing fps for the majority of my life so i know what im talking about in some cases lol
Old 2012-08-12, 12:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #132
super pretendo
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by ikon View Post
i personally would like to see counterstrike style of planetside 2 esport (except it would be on a much larger scale. thinking 48people since that's how big groups will be)

yes you can only die once but allow medic rezzing

take peoples characters to a completely new server, give them a specific target(base's good for that # of people).

have a money system similar to cs that allows purchase of vehicles,weapons, etc
give them all implants unlocked and somehow manage certs.
gain money from successful assaults/kills/vehicle kills, etc.

allow a planing stage, give them the ability to create an assault plan and a defense plan.

give a few minutes of start up time for defenses to be set up, people to be set, vehicles to be purchased.

allow the rest of the population to select the server and watch as observers ( free floating cam or wuteva)
allow platoons to customize their groups, easily know who they are by their looks

could go up to more people(96 or 144 or bigger)
You should probably play another game
Old 2012-08-12, 12:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #133
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by super pretendo View Post
You should probably play another game
I really don't understand why people are so negative to the esport thingamajiig. Basically EVERY multiplayer game there is, including MMultiplayerO games has that eSport implemented or figured out one way or another.

This only makes me think that people who are against it only played PlanetSide and no other games. Hell, even, Minesweeper IS an eSport.

EDIT:
https://www.google.com/search?q=mine...r+world+record

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.

Last edited by NewSith; 2012-08-12 at 12:42 PM.
Old 2012-08-12, 12:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #134
Papscal
Staff Sergeant

Holy crap my worst fears coming true. Is this not the type of content they promised to keep out of the game? Meaning all the junk that has failed before in previous tittles. Smed has lost it.
Old 2012-08-12, 12:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #135
super pretendo
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by NewSith View Post
I really don't understand why people are so negative to the esport thingamajiig. Basically EVERY multiplayer game there is, including MMultiplayerO games has that eSport implemented or figured out one way or another.

This only makes me think that people who are against it only played PlanetSide and no other games. Hell, even, Minesweeper IS an eSport.

EDIT:
https://www.google.com/search?q=mine...r+world+record
Speedruns and recordings of records are not what esports are; neither are PvP videos in early wow. You can be competitive and showcase high skill outside in anything, that doesn't make it a sport or esport.

You are giving contradictory explanations to support your flawed premise; if anything can be made into an eSport by showcasing skill, then you've completely undone any argument for SOE officially supporting planetside. So if people want esports, they can, by your definition, just make community made videos showcasing their skill in the planetside game.

If this is not what eSports is, and you are wrong, then eSports being supported would in fact change the game of PlanetSide 2.

So it looks like the pro-eSports argument crumbles under any sort of scrutiny from both possible sides
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion