Average spawn - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Sleep with Hamma for auto-beta invite.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: What do you think is the correct AVERAGE time to wait between spawns?
Instant respawn 2 4.17%
5 seconds 4 8.33%
10 seconds 14 29.17%
15 seconds 14 29.17%
20 seconds 8 16.67%
25 seconds 1 2.08%
30 seconds 3 6.25%
Over 30 seconds 2 4.17%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-09-07, 09:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Logit
Second Lieutenant

Re: Average spawn

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
I'm not blind - but you may be. In the OP of this thread:
Not blind. I just see 2 threads about the same topic.

Regardless of the "methodology."

My $.02, dying is bad. Spawn timer should reflect that, based on the pace of the game.

Which we know very little about.

Last edited by Logit; 2011-09-07 at 09:51 AM.
Old 2011-09-07, 10:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
TacosWLove
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post

(I made this poll because I liked the topic of Duke's poll but think the methodology produced insignificant results - this is clean start without the PS1 cop-out.).
WTF? How is PS1 method a "cop-out"? Its s genuine method and like I've said before it more about how long it takes you to get back to the front, rather then how long it takes you to get a new set of skin. So for all I care, make it instant, but take some time to get back to the front, minus some special abilities like AMS's, etc..(with counters to each)
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-09-07, 12:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

If you like the PS1 wait times, then pick the number that represents the typical time you waited in PS1.
Old 2011-09-07, 01:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Raymac
Brigadier General

If the question is, "how long do I want to stare at a timer bar?" the answer is 0 seconds. I don't want to do it, but I see it as neccessary.

If the question is, "how long do I think the spawn timer should be?" my answer is about 30 seconds give or take. Death should have a penalty, not much of a penalty, but just a little something.

30 seconds should give me enough time for 1) denial, 2) rage, 3) send hate /tell, 4) vow revenge, 5) grab another Mtn Dew, 6) wipe away the tears, 7) compose myself, 8) Respawn.

Last edited by Raymac; 2011-09-07 at 01:05 PM.
Old 2011-09-07, 03:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

I'm in favor of the old system.

Respawn starts at 10 seconds and increases more and more based on time between deaths. The increasing respawn timers served a purpose; They made it so the attacking empire could actually push back the defenders.

Although as Bags said we don't know the pace of the game yet. But assuming it's your traditional shooter and not a run in and shoot in every which direction and then inevitably die two seconds later CoD style game, 10 second respawn timers would suffice and give the game a nice pace.

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-09-07, 03:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Good interpretation Raymac! I agree with all except I would substitute Mt. Dew for Beer/Whiskey, but that's just me, hah.

Being dead for a little while before the respawn also gives medics an opportunity to get you up and save a lot of time getting back to that location and saving the squad the loss of your presence. If respawn is instant then a lot of people won't wait around for a medic, but if you're forced to wait around for at least a little bit then medics have a chance at getting you up and contributing to getting a rifle back into the battle a lot faster. And many people benefit from that.

Taking the opportunity for some good discussion...

I also wonder if regardless of timer if respawning takes some sort of button press on the part of the player. Here's why:

- as Raymac said, death might be a good time to take a quick short break to get a drink, use the bathroom, etc. Having input required by the player would mean you could do that without respawning again at a hot ams or spawn room.

- I am also assuming PS2 has a lot more respawn options in terms of location, so having input required for the respawn would mean you have time to choose the right location.

If spawn times are quick and it auto-spawns it might not be enough time to pick the appropriate location you want to go.

I'm also a fan of taking a res being optional. I always hate in battlefield when some medic gets me up when I want to respawn to go somewhere else. Basically I get griefed by medics instead of controlling when and where I respawn. But that might just be me.

Given that, something in the 15-25s range seems reasonable to me.
Old 2011-09-07, 04:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Aractain
Major

Auto-respawn is a terrible ideae, I agree with that. Also show medics who are close etc to encourage people to stay down for rez.
Old 2011-09-07, 04:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

Maybe it would be good to have the timer start counting from when you died this time instead of when you released?
Old 2011-09-07, 04:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Logit
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Talek Krell View Post
Maybe it would be good to have the timer start counting from when you died this time instead of when you released?
I think PS1 had it right. You can either A. Wait for someone to come rez you.
B. Tap out and respawn. I don't know if I like having the option to do both at the same time.
Old 2011-09-07, 04:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Aractain
Major

I would assume thats how any modern shooter would hadle it. We arn't in the 2000s anymore, time to progress.
Old 2011-09-07, 05:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
CutterJohn
Colonel

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post
If the question is, "how long do I think the spawn timer should be?" my answer is about 30 seconds give or take. Death should have a penalty, not much of a penalty, but just a little something.
30 seconds is more punishing than pretty much every fps out there thats not a one life per round sort. Not seeing how thats not much of a penalty.

Especially considering PSs generally long time to get back to the fight. A 30 second respawn in TF2 is still a shorter return to the fight than most circumstances would be with instant respawn in ps1.
Old 2011-09-07, 06:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Zulthus
Colonel

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post

30 seconds should give me enough time for 1) denial, 2) rage, 3) send hate /tell, 4) vow revenge, 5) grab another Mtn Dew, 6) wipe away the tears, 7) compose myself, 8) Respawn.
Exactly... less than 10 second respawns would be horrible. Imagine tower battles. Get killed near the CC, grab MAX, autorun up and kill hacker before he caps it. No no. I vote at least 25 seconds, no less.
Old 2011-09-07, 06:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
30 seconds is more punishing than pretty much every fps out there thats not a one life per round sort. Not seeing how thats not much of a penalty.

Especially considering PSs generally long time to get back to the fight. A 30 second respawn in TF2 is still a shorter return to the fight than most circumstances would be with instant respawn in ps1.
IMHO 30 seconds isn't that long, but I see what you are saying. Perhaps 20 seconds might be better. The point I was really trying to make is that, just as in PS1, there should be some wait so death means something.

Old 2011-09-07, 08:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Aractain
Major

You all seem to view death as a punishment. Thats a very backwards concept. Death is simply the resolution of the conflict, the outcome. YOU WILL DIE. A LOT. The less good you are the more you die and these people can't be "forced" into being "better players" by some strange method of online torture. They are here to have fun, make the game FUN, even if they die a lot.

Making a game have fast respawns dosn't mean you can't provide benfits to the pros who can stay alive or use medics more efffeciently.

Planetside's pace was horridly slow, sometimes up to 4-5 minuets before you hit combat from respawning (time to combat). Make players do interesting things. An example of this is section 8s respawning using a drop system to drop anywhere is both cool and useful while not having COD like instant spawns; "BEHIND YOU" BLAM!
Old 2011-09-07, 10:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Accuser
Sergeant Major

Lets do a quick comparison.
Battlefield:
You die and a 10s timer starts. If you aren't rez'd in 10s, you're forced to respawn. You check the map and choose a loadout in 5s, and you're back on the map and at least in sniper range of the fight in 15s total.

In PS1:
You wait 10s hoping a medic will rez you, but there are no medics so you tap. You spend 5s checking the map and choose a respawn. Wait another 15s to spawn, oh but the AMS blew up so now you're back to the map. Wait another 20s to spawn, take a few seconds to get your loadout, then potentially go get a vehicle and travel to get back into the fight. That common situation in PS1 puts you at 60s+ to get back to the fight, and it's still 30s+ if you spawn at a non-exploding AMS.

I'm not going to try to persuade the crowd that the former is better. But when they say they're making it more fast-paced, I think it will end up being much closer to the former than to the latter.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion