TR confirmed for gimped - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Im blind Im Blind!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-03-07, 04:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Rivenshield
Contributor
Major

TR confirmed for gimped

So according to Higby in the recent gameplay vid, our main battle tank is..... faster. The Magrider is more *maneuverable*, whatever that means; I guess that means it can strafe left and right with even greater facility than the old one. The Vanguard has both THE biggest gun AND the toughest armor. Because that makes them all different and unique and stuff.

Oh, and the Sweeper is now an NC-only weapon. Along with the Noobhammer, which was/is the best close-quarters weapon in the game, and the Gauss rifle, which is the best *long-range* smallarm in the game. But it's all fair and stuff because our gunz shoots moar boolitz faster.

I can just barely see how the Vanu can compensate with zero bullet drop, having an MBT that can strafe around faster than a foot soldier can run, etc. But what about those of us that wear the red and black? This in conjunction with the death of the old glue gun, so that we can't repair friendlies anymore, and (apparently) underside armor for vehicles to negate the effects of minefields, which spells the near-death of the old Terran corporate culture of Create Our Own Mobile Minefield Wherever We Go....

I smell bullshit. Higby is wearing his NC colors a little too brazenly when he puts on his dev cap. I'm as eager to play as anyone, but some of this stuff -- particularly about the Prowler -- just puts a sour taste in my mouth. How the hell is giving the most damaging weapon AND the most armor to the same goddam empire-specific vehicle good game design? Oh, and let's make it semi-immune to land mines so TR combat engies can't stop enemy armored zergs anymore.

Fuck.

/hangs head

Last edited by Rivenshield; 2012-03-07 at 04:10 AM.
Old 2012-03-07, 04:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Bags
Lieutenant General

Re: TR confirmed for gimped

How'd you get in the beta?
Old 2012-03-07, 04:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Atheosim
Captain

The force is strong with this one.
Old 2012-03-07, 04:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
VioletZero
First Lieutenant

You underestimate how useful speed is.

Sure, they don't have the best guns and armor but what they do have is adaptability. They can pick up and move a lot faster than a Vanguard can and that tactical advantage will prove itself to be very valuable.

Personally I think the Magrider will be the best simply because of how they can always keep their hull facing forward towards an enemy. Meaning, most of the time, all they'll have to do is put forward facing armor. Which will give them good protection while keeping the vehicle light.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-03-07, 04:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Another theme of TR is high dps. TTK is generally king in games. If TR is fast & has the highest DPS but lowest alpha strike shot it'll balance out, but in the end that's still an advantage for TR if past games are any indication.
Old 2012-03-07, 04:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Atheosim
Captain

I feel really bad that I have to lay this out, but here goes:

NC: Highest damage PER SHOT, slowest fire rate
VS: Highest accuracy, medium damage and medium fire rate
TR: Lowest damage PER SHOT, highest fire rate.

No specifics have been provided as to TTK or DPS rates. What we do know is that (biting my tongue really hard here) balance is a MASSIVE focus for the devs, so much so that free form inventories are gone.
Old 2012-03-07, 04:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

It's a disadvantage versus the other tanks as speed really isn't more important than durability/firepower or being able to strafe/hover over water, but it's hard to say how much of a disadvantage. If the vanguard's better stats equate to them having effectively, say, one shot up on a prowler, that's hardly insurmountable and, I dunno, maybe it's possible that the prowler will be so much faster that its extra speed will seem useful.

Either way, it's something they can get sorted more thoroughly in beta. But if World of Tanks taught me anything, it's that extra speed is not a very useful feature for a tank.
Old 2012-03-07, 04:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
bigcracker
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Warborn View Post
It's a disadvantage versus the other tanks as speed really isn't more important than durability/firepower or being able to strafe/hover over water, but it's hard to say how much of a disadvantage. If the vanguard's better stats equate to them having effectively, say, one shot up on a prowler, that's hardly insurmountable and, I dunno, maybe it's possible that the prowler will be so much faster that its extra speed will seem useful.

Either way, it's something they can get sorted more thoroughly in beta. But if World of Tanks taught me anything, it's that extra speed is not a very useful feature for a tank.
you never seen a circle of death
Old 2012-03-07, 04:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
VioletZero
First Lieutenant

I think what a lot of people forget that it isn't just going to come down to two parked tanks trading shots with each other.
Old 2012-03-07, 04:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Atheosim
Captain

I wish this thread would be locked before it gets out of hand.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-03-07, 04:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

If the prowler is anything like PS1 it'll have a lot of firepower, it just won't be king of alpha.

PS1 prowler was also the slowest tank, will be interesting ot see it as the fastest and spewing out lots of rounds.

Just because he said it does the most damage per-shot doesn't mean it has the best damage throughput. Vanguard had the worst throughput in PS1 even though it had the best alpha. Prowler had the best throughput. I expect that pattern will continue in PS1, only the prowler will be faster.

I also think the slow speed/acceleration of the prowler was its biggest problem in PS1. It was slow, medium armor, medium damage per shot, high RoF, so it was basically creeping death. The slow speed really was a factor since that made it far less maneuverable and harder to avoid enemy fire. The high profile didn't help either.

I believe making it the fastest tank while retaining its high damage throughput is the right move to balance it out.

Last edited by Malorn; 2012-03-07 at 04:31 AM.
Old 2012-03-07, 04:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
ringring
Contributor
General

Speaking as TR ..... this made me laugh a bit ... it's way too early to say TR got the cack end of the stick.

In general I like the differences between empires, because it will force different tactics.

Other than thinking that the mag configuration is a definite plus, I'll wait until beta.

I know balance will be really hard to achieve for the DEVS so I don't envy them the task.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-03-07, 04:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by Atheosim View Post
I wish this thread would be locked before it gets out of hand.
The OP has a fair concern about the TR's empire benefits as it relates to tanks. It's a good discussion. Maybe one that will get some dev input or more information about the prowler. So far we've gotten lots of info about Vanguards and Magriders, but very little info about the Prowler. Learning what the prowler excels at and how it compares would be helpful.
Old 2012-03-07, 04:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
VioletZero
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
If the prowler is anything like PS1 it'll have a lot of firepower, it just won't be king of alpha.

PS1 prowler was also the slowest tank, will be interesting ot see it as the fastest and spewing out lots of rounds.

Just because he said it does the most damage per-shot doesn't mean it has the best damage throughput. Vanguard had the worst throughput in PS1 even though it had the best alpha. Prowler had the best throughput. I expect that pattern will continue in PS1, only the prowler will be faster.

I also think the slow speed/acceleration of the prowler was its biggest problem in PS1. It was slow, medium armor, medium damage per shot, high RoF, so it was basically creeping death. The slow speed really was a factor since that made it far less maneuverable and harder to avoid enemy fire. The high profile didn't help either.

I believe making it the fastest tank while retaining its high damage throughput is the right move to balance it out.
I expect it to be similar to the relationship that Heavy Tanks and Medium Tanks had in World of Tanks.

Heavy tanks, generally, had better DPS and alpha strikes on top of having better armor. And really what mediums had to show was just their speed.

But the speed was more than worth it just because of how many more favorable situations you can put yourself in as a fast tank over a slow one.

The DPS should be somewhat close though.

I just think you guys are underselling the speed a bit.

Last edited by VioletZero; 2012-03-07 at 04:36 AM.
Old 2012-03-07, 05:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Aractain
Major

Summary = NC is for noobcakes, TR is for skilled players. And inbred yokels with miniguns who elected elmo as thier Leader in Arms.

Elmo rides Pinkie Pie into battle shouting "Victory is our tradition!" "Loyalty until Death!"

I think its clear who is really gimped here.
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion