News: Veteran Contest and Video - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I don't think you're happy enough
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-08-13, 02:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

Re: Veteran Contest and Video

Originally Posted by Danicia View Post
The first time I saw the video, I got all teary-eyed. It reminded me of the bonds of community I built up in SWG. Some of those strangers from 9 years ago are /still/ my friends. We've supported each other through relationships (the good and the bad), attended each other's weddings...gah. Just...you folks get it. You totally do. This is what I love about this community. The bonds you have made.

Sure, I totes suck at this game and will get my ass handed to me...repeatedly...forever. The camaraderie and community will keep me playing, no matter how bad I play.

Also, I look forward to your videos. You don't need anything fancy. Get someone to film you on a mobile phone if that is all you have. Record yourself talking on a webcam. Try to make me cry.

I know the feeling. Some of my old friends keep in touch via facebook, but there just isn't a game that brings us all together any more. I really miss SWG and I would play it again if it were to reopen (please don't mention the emu... it stinks by comparison, stability and gameplay wise).

I think it would be wrong for a Planetside 1 short timer like me to submit a video, considering only 3 will be chosen. I encourage all the real "old timers" and "dedicated long timers" to make us cry with your outpourings of awesome. Can't wait to see them! In fact, I think it would be great if SOE made a video of all of the submissions and posted it to their youtube channel after the contest video thing is over.
Old 2012-08-13, 02:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Captain1nsaneo
Major

Misc Info

I'll put something together and email it to you Danicia. I'd prefer to enter a bunch of different stories and leverage ethos, pathos, and logos in individual videos to give you guys more options but the rules say only 1 entry per person so I'll put something together. Now I just need to pick a good story. Because, I've got one for just about every base in the game.
(I do not own a facebook account nor will I get one. Bloody thing is a crime against privacy as is.)
Now how to break it down to 30 seconds... guess I'll have to talk fast.

Also, what format are you looking to use the videos in? In the Chinese video they took several and put them all together, would you like the video you get to be tailored for that kind of break down or do you want it a straight 30 second video that's meant to be seen as one piece?
Old 2012-08-13, 02:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

So far, we only have ONE valid submission. We've had to disqualify many because they didn't follow the guidelines (language or they submitted fan trailers). I know someone here can throw together an amazing video, right?
What if instead of sitting in front of my laptop webcam and telling you about my favourite memory, I act it out IRL instead? Does that disqualify me?
Old 2012-08-13, 03:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
beekergunship
Private

I planned on submitting, read the fine print, and set about my work. Then upon submission I was prompted to log into Facebook. I am boycotting them--have been for over a year. I then decided to turn this video over to an outfit mate (with FB) who wants to attend the convention to defray his costs. Now I hear that I have to video myself talking into a camera. Not worth it. I had hoped obscure clues about my life with a voice over would suffice. I prefer to retain some anonymity with this game--even the officers of my outfit don't know who I am.

But hey, I'm not butthurt over it. No biggie It spurred me into making a weekend video project constrained to thirty seconds--and I captured probably the last time I'll play PS1. If someone enjoys it, that is good enough for me. Good luck!
Old 2012-08-13, 03:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Shamrock
Contributor
First Sergeant

I really like this idea, demonstrates what a unique game PS1 is and what PS2 will be., i.e the shared experience.

Old 2012-08-13, 04:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Captain1nsaneo
Major

Misc Info

Originally Posted by beekergunship View Post
Now I hear that I have to video myself talking into a camera.
Wait what.
*Checks rules*
Hot damn, you're right.
"Your Submission should be in a form consistent with these Official Rules."
"...take a video of yourself, telling us about your..."
Well so much for a carefully put together mash of ingame screenshots. Pity, it would have worked much better than just a face story.

Btw, Beaker, how did you get PS to run on all 3 screens. I've seen it done in the past but I thought they removed that ability. Also, I salute your dedication to anonymity and recommend you look up the the facebook like button blocker if you haven't already. They track IPs through them even if you're not logged into their service or have an account.
Old 2012-08-13, 04:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
beekergunship
Private

Originally Posted by Captain1nsaneo View Post
Wait what.
*Checks rules*
Hot damn, you're right.
"Your Submission should be in a form consistent with these Official Rules."
"...take a video of yourself, telling us about your..."
Well so much for a carefully put together mash of ingame screenshots. Pity, it would have worked much better than just a face story.

Btw, Beaker, how did you get PS to run on all 3 screens. I've seen it done in the past but I thought they removed that ability. Also, I salute your dedication to anonymity and recommend you look up the the facebook like button blocker if you haven't already. They track IPs through them even if you're not logged into their service or have an account.
You just have to manually put the resolution in the ini then set the FOV. Works like a champ. Trees disappear randomly when you fly though--hazard to flight. Thanks about the FB blocker! I use NoScript as well. I can see why they use FB--easier to manage a contest. Anyway, just happy to make a video despite the contest.

I'm curious what other rejects were made. I'd like to see them! (Submissions on other websites are automatically rejected, btw)
Old 2012-08-13, 04:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Bittermen
Sergeant Major

Awesome video beeker.
Old 2012-08-13, 04:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
MaxDamage
Sergeant Major

The first time I saw the video, I got all teary-eyed. It reminded me of the bonds of community I built up in SWG. Some of those strangers from 9 years ago are /still/ my friends. We've supported each other through relationships (the good and the bad), attended each other's weddings...gah. Just...you folks get it. You totally do. This is what I love about this community. The bonds you have made.

Sure, I totes suck at this game and will get my ass handed to me...repeatedly...forever. The camaraderie and community will keep me playing, no matter how bad I play.

Also, I look forward to your videos. You don't need anything fancy. Get someone to film you on a mobile phone if that is all you have. Record yourself talking on a webcam. Try to make me cry.
-We are not SWG players.
-Most of us don't care about other peoples relationships.
-The majority of gamers are male, the majority of weddings end in divorce - marriage is now nothing but a guarantee of financial security for a female and a 50-75% chance of a ruined life and finances for a male, loss of house, car, custody of child etc. whilst he is expected to pay her to start a new life with a new man. An increasing number of us have two words and one finger for that.
The VAWA has put the nail in the coffin of marriage for intelligent men.

The last thing we want to hear about is a f&%*ing wedding.

As for people filming themselves talking about planetside, again this is not a social network. There are bonds, there is a community, but we dislike being asked to dance for prizes.

We are not on the whole, the same breed as SWG/EQ/MMORPG players.
War is our passion.
Destroying other real life players, not bots/AI, is our satisfaction.

We are not princesses, we are not princes; we are soldiers.
The great, the good and the just plain evil.
Old 2012-08-13, 05:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Captain1nsaneo
Major

Misc Info

Originally Posted by MaxDamage View Post
We are not on the whole, the same breed as SWG/EQ/MMORPG players.
War is our passion.
Destroying other real life players, not bots/AI, is our satisfaction.

We are not princesses, we are not princes; we are soldiers.
The great, the good and the just plain evil.
I've heard of several cases where couples have met up via PS.
Also, are you saying that Hamma is not an intelligent man?

My grandparents were married for 72 years. It is doable and from what I've witnessed profitable for both parties.

I get a bit of what you are saying though, we're not mmorpg players in the common sense of the word. Most are not here for the narrative so much as to bust skulls. However, in some extent we all enjoy being the protagonist and if not ourselves then the group we identify with be it outfit or faction are the righteous ones battling against the foe.

In the end we both play video games and complain about lag.

(If you're actually concerned with disparity between male and females in courts, put effort into child custody issues and who has say about an abortion. International custody fights are also truely nasty. I hear Japan has a problem with not letting foreign parents see their kids.)
Old 2012-08-13, 06:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Hamma
PSU Admin

My team and I are going to film a video about our experiences in PlanetSide and gaming at our yearly gathering next month. It's going to be badass

Anyway it boggles my mind people would enter a contest then swear it up in the video. The content is simple, talk about your experiences in PlanetSide.

Though I do think 30 seconds is short, I think it should have probably been a max of one minute. I probably couldn't tell my best PlanetSide story in under 30 seconds.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-08-13, 06:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
RoninOni
Sergeant Major

Something I don't understand....

according to Smedley's post... Vets get in on the 20th.

This contest... for vets... ends on the 24th.

Won't all vets already be in?

Or is this a way for them to earn a instant access key so they can bring a friend in who isn't a vet?

Originally Posted by Captain1nsaneo View Post
I've heard of several cases where couples have met up via PS.
Also, are you saying that Hamma is not an intelligent man?

My grandparents were married for 72 years. It is doable and from what I've witnessed profitable for both parties.

I get a bit of what you are saying though, we're not mmorpg players in the common sense of the word. Most are not here for the narrative so much as to bust skulls. However, in some extent we all enjoy being the protagonist and if not ourselves then the group we identify with be it outfit or faction are the righteous ones battling against the foe.

In the end we both play video games and complain about lag.

(If you're actually concerned with disparity between male and females in courts, put effort into child custody issues and who has say about an abortion. International custody fights are also truely nasty. I hear Japan has a problem with not letting foreign parents see their kids.)
How'd this topc take this turn?

I've personally lost any and all faith in long-term relationships.

I am and will always be a confirmed bachelor.

I love women.... I hate girlfriends.

Eff having obligations to another person... seriously. Never again will I concern myself with someone else's happiness 24/7. Relationships are nothing but compromise and I've compromised enough of my life away for 2 lifetimes.

What, me a cynic? naaaaah
Old 2012-08-13, 06:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Pella
Captain

I'm interested.

But the prize....... Not really good for EU folk.
Old 2012-08-13, 07:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Rivenshield
Contributor
Major

-We are not SWG players.
-Most of us don't care about other peoples relationships.
-The majority of gamers are male, the majority of weddings end in divorce - marriage is now nothing but a guarantee of financial security for a female and a 50-75% chance of a ruined life and finances for a male, loss of house, car, custody of child etc. whilst he is expected to pay her to start a new life with a new man. An increasing number of us have two words and one finger for that.
/etc

Jesus H. Christ, dude. Way to be bitter and blow a nice post from a nice person out of the water with a misogynistic tac nuke. Get a GRIP.
Old 2012-08-13, 09:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Crator
Major General

~Flying off the handle~
The testosterone level is high in this one...
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion