In game chat options and how it will work???? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: online 36/18/456 wait that's not right
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-02-27, 10:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
DayOne
Captain

Re: In game chat options and how it will work????

I suppose being able to turn off just proximity chat from/to you would solve this.

I think proximity chat will be a big deal in a game like planetside as it allows you to communicate instantly and vocally with a random person if you need them to do something instead of pointlessly yelling at the screen till they spot you.

Edit: Also a mic activation button. This is 100% necessary.
Old 2012-02-27, 11:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
ThGlump
Captain

And if they have proximity chat turned off you will yell to your microphone wondering why they dont react
Old 2012-02-27, 11:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
DayOne
Captain

Originally Posted by ThGlump View Post
And if they have proximity chat turned off you will yell to your microphone wondering why they dont react
Well if they give us a quick hotkey toggle then they hit that and you can yell at them properly
Old 2012-02-27, 11:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
WiteBeam
Second Lieutenant

Hahaha well I would hope there would an icon next to the players name so you can tell if they can hear you or speak back. A simple little mic/speaker icon.
Old 2012-02-27, 11:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
RedKnights
Sergeant Major

What i'm wondering is if the in game voice chat is going to be robust enough to replace clients like mumble, TS and Vent, or larger clans will find those clients easier to use.

I'm always going to use my outfit as an example because it's huge..

But say that within an outfit management window you can designate "Divisions" (Which you should do )

So in my outfit we have:
  1. Infantry
  2. Spec Ops
  3. Air
  4. Tanks
  5. Support

It would be nice to be able to create channels for each of these subdivisions, if that's the dev's aim, at replacing external clients. That way during Raids you can easily divvy everyone up into a channel easily.

The ability to create sub-channels within an "outfit only" voice chat would be awesome.

As for proximity chat.... that's what voice macros are for... please god it's so aggravating in DCUO XD

Last edited by RedKnights; 2012-02-27 at 11:22 AM.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-02-27, 11:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
RadarX
PlanetSide 2
Community Manager

This will be totally waste of resources and development time. Proximity voice will be first thing most players will turn off (once they get close to 10+ random ppl), and then it will be useless even for those who left it on.
I can't necessarily argue with you that a number of people may not find the feature to their liking but I'll disagree on the waste of resources. The tech is already working in another product and part of the voice chat functionality. They may also choose not to use it. We'll let you know more as we get closer to launch.
Old 2012-02-27, 11:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Vash02
Major

Just make sure its push to talk default. I played Space Marine early on where they had mikes on all the time and there was always someones heavy breathing being blasted into my ears.
Old 2012-02-27, 12:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
BigBossMonkey
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Vash02 View Post
Just make sure its push to talk default. I played Space Marine early on where they had mikes on all the time and there was always someones heavy breathing being blasted into my ears.
A thousand times this.

Make it have only two options: PTT or OFF.

DO NOT MAKE IT VOICE ACTIVATED.
Old 2012-02-27, 12:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by BigBossMonkey View Post
A thousand times this.

Exactly.
While Voice activation is nice if its set up right, it usually is crap. Most people fail at setting it up correctly, and often they just fill you with random chat that wasnt even ment for your ears.

So keep the voice activation out, completly. That will make a lot more people use ingame voice (and thats a good thing!)

As for proximity voice: its brilliant, and i hope people use it. Most, if not all, VS players have seen me infront of a door, spamming a macro to follow me and rush in. It was always just a macro that requires you to pay attention and read. Now, if i could directly talk, tell those guys at the door HOW to push, when, and what to watch out for (boomers anyone?), it would really help me.

But, it needs some heavy policing. If someone just spams music or other crap, ban him from voice, permanently. Those asshats need to be silent, or everyone just disables voice alltogether.
Old 2012-02-27, 12:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
ThGlump
Captain

You can spam "rush" all you want, i listen to my squad leader not you
That why organized squads wont have proximity chat on, so it dont interfere in squad chat.

There can be both on but it must support this:
Priority of channels: If someone talking on squad channel, mute proximity chat
Independent chat volumes: So you can set squad chat louder than proximity, so it wont distract that much.
Old 2012-02-27, 01:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
ringring
Contributor
General

I can see me saying ...

"everyone in the courtyard and get in the Gal" and some random greenie shouts "go to the BD" and then I'll wonder why some of my squad has gone in completely the opposite direction that I told them to.

Seriously it may work if it's a cr6 function that Oste set up one time but otherwise I think it may be more trouble than it's worth for Outfits.

Time will tell.
Old 2012-02-27, 01:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
DayOne
Captain

If morons arguing with their mum about dinner weren't an issue then I'd like to see proximity chat on at all times with a push to talk button that activates your radio. Each time you activate/deactivate the radio you get the static crunch noise then the actual voice has a static-y sound to it while prox chat remains crystal clear.

Only in a perfect world
Old 2012-02-27, 02:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
SniperSteve
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by BigBossMonkey View Post
A thousand times this.

Agree. That way we at least don't hear the "Clean your room right now!" unless the guy is actually cueing his microphone.

Last edited by SniperSteve; 2012-02-27 at 02:12 PM.
Old 2012-02-27, 02:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
BigBossMonkey
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by SniperSteve View Post
Agree. That way we at least don't hear the "Clean your room right now!" unless the guy is actually cueing his microphone.
Exactly. Plus people play with speakers and everything, and it will cause FUN feedback through everyones mics... Plus you have people who may still be using Vent/TS/Mumble as well as whats in game and so there'd be cross conversations that don't make any sense going on...

It is just not a good situation.

Originally Posted by basti View Post
But, it needs some heavy policing. If someone just spams music or other crap, ban him from voice, permanently. Those asshats need to be silent, or everyone just disables voice alltogether.
This is a very good point.

If someone gets reported enough for harassment (loud music blaring, vulgarity, that stuff) ban them from proximity voice chat. If someone is doing that stuff in squad/vehicle/outfit/platoon voice chat just kick him out, no reason to ban the guy there.

Last edited by BigBossMonkey; 2012-02-27 at 02:20 PM.
Old 2012-02-27, 03:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Figment
Lieutenant General

I think something like an alliance chat between outfits was mentioned somewhere.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion