Possible problem with Magrider main gun - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Please don't pet the Hamma.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-04-27, 03:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
WorldOfForms
Corporal

Possible problem with Magrider main gun

So is it right that the main gun, the pilot's one, is mounted on the magrider's front?

If so, the tank is going to need to maneuver in a very different fashion from how it did in PS1. Any mag pilot will tell you: that front gun was almost impossible to aim because of the momentum of the tank during pivoting.

I don't see how this gun will be remotely viable unless all momentum on tank rotation is removed. Then there's a secondary effect (which could be awesome): it would make the magrider insanely agile with precision steering.
Old 2012-04-27, 03:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

Re: Possible problem with Magrider main gun

Originally Posted by WorldOfForms View Post
So is it right that the main gun, the pilot's one, is mounted on the magrider's front?

If so, the tank is going to need to maneuver in a very different fashion from how it did in PS1. Any mag pilot will tell you: that front gun was almost impossible to aim because of the momentum of the tank during pivoting.

I don't see how this gun will be remotely viable unless all momentum on tank rotation is removed. Then there's a secondary effect (which could be awesome): it would make the magrider insanely agile with precision steering.
Essentially, the Magrider is a floating turret. If the floaty response of turning is tighter, it's just as effective. If that is not good enough, they could give it a little play, like a 15 degree arc that the gun can move side to side on rapidly while the rest of the tank responds to any leaning in that direction.

Either way, nothing says that all three empires have to work the same. Variety - balance.

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Old 2012-04-27, 04:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
RawketLawnchair
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by EVILPIG View Post
Variety - balance.
If there is anything I'd say, its this.

Also, whats bad about it being different from PS1?
Old 2012-04-27, 04:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Shogun
Contributor
General

the tanks have changed very much from ps1 to ps2.
there has been some discussions about possible balancing issues, but since we know a shit about how the new tanks will play out, these discussions have died.
diversity rules. we will see how it balances when beta starts.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2012-04-27, 04:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
WorldOfForms
Corporal

I didn't mean that it's bad to be different from PS1. I just mean that having a fixed main gun on a rotating tank, as opposed to a turret, presents unique balancing challenges.

Of course variety is good. I'm just really curious how the magrider handles, because there's no way it could have the same turning mechanics as PS1.
Old 2012-04-27, 04:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
ringring
Contributor
General

I didn't mean that it's bad to be different from PS1. I just mean that having a fixed main gun on a rotating tank, as opposed to a turret, presents unique balancing challenges.

Of course variety is good. I'm just really curious how the magrider handles, because there's no way it could have the same turning mechanics as PS1.
The driver gun on the mag was very easy to aim. Far easier than the lightning, which is the other gun in the turret option.

Stop complaining, you got the best of it! Same as in PS1
Old 2012-04-27, 05:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
WorldOfForms
Corporal

What was difficult about aiming the lightning? It aimed like any other gun.
Old 2012-04-27, 06:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

+1 to having this answered. I mean it was point and shoot, how much trouble could you have with it?
Old 2012-04-27, 06:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Essentially the problem with the Magriders PPA in the first game was that the Magrider turned like a whale, just like all of the other tanks. Meanwhile, you could aim the PPA up and down relatively quickly.

In most games, you can either rotate left/right at the same speed as up/down, or rotating up/down is actually slower than the horizontal rotation.

So not only did the Magrider not aim sideways at a fast enough speed to be viable in a lot of combat situations, but the ratio of vertical to horizontal rotation speed actually made it more difficult than it had to be.

The only way to make this work is to balance the rotation of the new Magrider in the same way that the rotation of the turrets are balanced on the other tanks.

This really isn't that difficult and shouldn't be too hard to balance either.

The main problem with the Magrider is that it hovers, which requires that you be able to strafe with the a,d keys instead of turning your tank with them. I'm not sure what ringring means about the lightning being harder, it was very easy and will be pretty much the way the new Lightning and the default MBT's will control. They don't hover so there is no issue, because you can use w,a,s,d to drive and turn the tank, while using the mouse to rotate and fire the turret.

Last edited by Xyntech; 2012-04-27 at 06:55 PM.
Old 2012-04-27, 10:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Zenben
Master Sergeant

Wasn't there some talk about applying inertia to the Magrider's movement? In PS1, if you turned while moving forward without pressing W, you would change the direction of travel. I thought they were considering making it move in a straight line after you turned unless you applied the gas, so you could kind of strafe by a target at full forward speed instead of using the strafing speed. I think this would be an awesome compromise to not having a turret for the main gun. This would also make it REALLY fun to drive, I think.
Old 2012-04-28, 06:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
ringring
Contributor
General

Firstly I apologies about my somewhat intemperate remark.

However, the magrider cofiguration in ps1 was excellent. The PPa wasn't difficult to aim due the the floating ability of the magrider and that is can strafe.

It's dps wasn't bad either, at least not as bad as often made out.

Driver the mag was the funnest experience of all the tanks. I've driven it a lot over the past what, nearly a couple of years, granted not as much as the Prowler.

It is because the gun is in the hull plus the fact that the mag floats and strafes that makes it so good, that is, if the driver is also a gunner.

What the PS2 mag needs (and the ps2 prowler and vannie need the same) is to have the driver gun as the lower powered gun and make the gunner the death dealing dps.

At this stage I doubt greatly that the devs will make a big configuration change. I'd much prefer them to spend their time finishing the maxes, adding sidegrades and weapon add-ons, finishing the 3 conts and working on a 4th.

Peace
Old 2012-04-28, 07:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Rabb
Contributor
Sergeant

just make it work like the hover tank in bf2142 job done.
Old 2012-04-28, 07:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
CutterJohn
Colonel

Mainly just doing it at full speed, i.e. driving and gunning at the same time.

Originally Posted by Rabb View Post
just make it work like the hover tank in bf2142 job done.
Nah, the hover tanks in Battlezone1/2.

But the 2142 tank was good too.

Alternately, I like the idea about a limited forward firing arc. This would abate a great many issues and give you some fine control in a limited range without having to rotate the entire tank.

Best example I can think of for this, even though its not a tank game, is the Freelancer method of aiming/ship control.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...MsPt68Ws#t=47s

The aim is at the cursor, and the ship follows the cursor. Works very well.

Could actually work that way already.. The end of the turret is a ball, not a hinge..

Last edited by CutterJohn; 2012-04-28 at 07:51 AM.
Old 2012-04-28, 08:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
BorisBlade
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by EVILPIG View Post
Either way, nothing says that all three empires have to work the same. Variety - balance.
Unless im reading that wrong, he's not talking about variety in the least, he's talkin about a problem in ps1 that made the PPA in ps1 (which is mounted the same as the main cannon in ps2) so terrible to aim with many people didnt even use it and when ya did you had a hard time aiming it. If the drift problem was still there, i for one would not even try to gun the main cannon. This is not variety, it has nothing to do with it, this a basic functionality problem.

Having said that, unless they are slow in the head, i dont see them leaving such a glaring issue in the game. At very least we would give em shit all day in beta til it got changed so it should be ok in the end. Really just another reason to give em a freakin turret. Gotta do it for the dedicated driver cert anyway.

Btw calling the drift problem variety is like pitting two snipers against each other and having one stand on a merry-go-round as you spin it and calling that variety in gameplay.
Waiting for the return of the superior, real PS style teamwork oriented vehicles with drivers not gunning, and in fixed vehicle slots so we can once again have real, epic, vehicle battles where the tanks actually move in combat rather than a silly 1700's era line up and shoot.
Old 2012-04-28, 08:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
ringring
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by BorisBlade View Post
Unless im reading that wrong, he's not talking about variety in the least, he's talkin about a problem in ps1 that made the PPA in ps1 (which is mounted the same as the main cannon in ps2) so terrible to aim with many people didnt even use it and when ya did you had a hard time aiming it. If the drift problem was still there, i for one would not even try to gun the main cannon. This is not variety, it has nothing to do with it, this a basic functionality problem.

Having said that, unless they are slow in the head, i dont see them leaving such a glaring issue in the game. At very least we would give em shit all day in beta til it got changed so it should be ok in the end. Really just another reason to give em a freakin turret. Gotta do it for the dedicated driver cert anyway.

Btw calling the drift problem variety is like pitting two snipers against each other and having one stand on a merry-go-round as you spin it and calling that variety in gameplay.
sometimes I think vs are their own worst enemies.... the lasher debale comes to mind......

It's fine!
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion