News: Beta Producers Letter and free PlanetSide 1 Game Time! - Page 16 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: how long does it take for these things to be approved?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-26, 12:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #226
wraithverge
Sergeant

Re: Beta Producers Letter and free PlanetSide 1 Game Time!

people are too negative. We have gone from soon, whenever it's ready to we have to do hardware and optimization checks. Can this be done quickly? Yes, could they instead find bugs with certain graphics cards/processors that sets them back a month or more to track? yes. At least we have an idea where we are at now though.

Thanks guys, you had my hopes up with the letter of the week is B comment, but at least now I know it will be at least a week longer.

However I figured I should toss this out there as letting us know sooner rather then later will forestall issues if going over a few.

XKCD defines "a few"
Old 2012-06-26, 12:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #227
Stew
Major

So finally No specifics Beta release date or phase we just know whats we already know mostly i was expecting really interesting new based on smedley tweet i was maybe to pump

it fell like it will be in end of july or something to have the first few waves of invites !
Old 2012-06-26, 12:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #228
Sephirex
Major

Originally Posted by rTekku View Post
Regardless of what you think it was, it was a beta according to DICE.
That was an open, game's almost ready, Beta....

No one talks about their initial closed beta testing.

I'm sure we'll see announcements again as they approach open beta, but it looks they're going for the stealth mode, NDA approach to initial closed beta that is the standard for most companies.
Old 2012-06-26, 12:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #229
Stew
Major

Originally Posted by wraithverge View Post
people are too negative. We have gone from soon, whenever it's ready to we have to do hardware and optimization checks. Can this be done quickly? Yes, could they instead find bugs with certain graphics cards/processors that sets them back a month or more to track? yes. At least we have an idea where we are at now though.

Thanks guys, you had my hopes up with the letter of the week is B comment, but at least now I know it will be at least a week longer.

However I figured I should toss this out there as letting us know sooner rather then later will forestall issues if going over a few.

XKCD defines "a few"
i expect this process to take around 3 to 5 weeks at least so yeah its pretty sad for those of us who were expecting the BETA to be release in these upcoming weeks like early july end of june !

And also they confirme not everyones Ps1 vets will get in in the first waves just a fews and fews Pc gamers priority codes as well !

so it mean many people here will not get into the beta until september or something like this . . .
Old 2012-06-26, 12:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #230
Poser
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Stew View Post
So finally No specifics Beta release date or phase we just know whats we already know mostly i was expecting really interesting new based on smedley tweet i was maybe to pump

it fell like it will be in end of july or something to have the first few waves of invites !
All the PR for this game has been bad. I just feel toyed with. I really hope enduring all this silly-ness will be worth it.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-26, 12:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #231
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

I wonder if one of the goals of PlanetSide day is to get a ballpark estimate on the number of PS1 vets that are around and paying attention that would participate in PS2 beta.

:tinfoilhat:
Old 2012-06-26, 12:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #232
Ieyasu
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by neonlazer View Post
Ok, join the dev team and make them do everything free..and don't complain about not having a paid job. Use common sense people!
hey im not saying theyre being assholes, or that I could do a better job, Im just stating the facts.

I would be blown away if there was one member of the dev team that was "taking one for the team" and working without recieving a paycheck for it.

just play it out in your head "higby, we think youre great, but were going to need to you to work without being paid" his resposne would be something along the lines of "later then guys"

this isnt a mod being made for a game out of someones bedroom for love of the game. these are professional game designers who are in the buisness to make money.

Im just as excited for PS2 as ahyone else, but that doesnt mean my heads in the sand with regards to comments like this.
Old 2012-06-26, 12:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #233
ringring
Contributor
General

RadarX, you have my respect.
Old 2012-06-26, 12:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #234
The Degenatron
Master Sergeant

Am I the only one who's super-jazzed about this announcement?

One thing that should be remembered by all is that problems happen. They don't give out dates because you just don't know if everything is going to fall into place like it should or not. It likely will not.

It's totally possible that they may find something in their current round of closed beta that makes them go back to the drawing board on specific issues - things like collision glitches that wreck game play or assets that show major visual problems. There's no point in going to the next phase when something turns out the be really broken bad.

And that only gets amplified on the next round: the stress test phase. Everything that was under evaluation now gets looked at under maximum stress conditions. It's like putting a car on a dynamo and taking it up to full throttle in increments. Just because everything looks good on paper doesn't mean it's going to work like it should at 5000 rpms. That process alone can shake out some major problems that can be HUGE: things that worked fine with 100 players on the server fall to crap with 500 (and you're aiming at 2000, so now you're in BIG trouble).

Only after all that has passed QA can the open beta begin.

To me, the possibility that this thing could be in beta before 2013 is absolutely amazing.
Old 2012-06-26, 12:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #235
JointReef
Private

Strange, signed up to beta ages ago, So wanted put system specs on.. tryed on Chrome said i was already registered, tryed IE9 same again, Why did i have to download firefox log in with my station account for it to take system specs?

Didnt really want install firefox just for the sole purpose of making sure i got my system specs in lol.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-26, 12:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #236
RadarX
PlanetSide 2
Community Manager

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
I wonder if one of the goals of PlanetSide day is to get a ballpark estimate on the number of PS1 vets that are around and paying attention that would participate in PS2 beta.

:tinfoilhat:
The goal is honestly to support PlanetSide Day and get you guys in for some nostalgic game play.
Old 2012-06-26, 12:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #237
Stew
Major

Originally Posted by Poser View Post
All the PR for this game has been bad. I just feel toyed with. I really hope enduring all this silly-ness will be worth it.
Yeah i think this kind of hipe hurt people and make them angry more than serve the (( hipe itself )) of the game ... If you ask me i dont really like all thats because i dont know if it will serve the game well !

I think its better to send out beta key when you can actually log in rigth away and play it as soon as you have a Beta key

I dont undestand the way they did thats ive never seen it before having to reddeem a key and then wait to get a invite .. its kinda weird

Whats the point for people who register on planetside 2.com hopping for a beta key

and what about those who get the key at E3 2012 and on twitter when they will realise they will not get in the beta until november 2012 maybe ..

I really dont get how it could be good for the game but thats my own interpretation of it

Hope they know whats they are doing

Cant wait to play it anyway just hope it will not turn off many people
Old 2012-06-26, 12:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #238
Ieyasu
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by JointReef View Post
Strange, signed up to beta ages ago, So wanted put system specs on.. tryed on Chrome said i was already registered, tryed IE9 same again, Why did i have to download firefox log in with my station account for it to take system specs?

Didnt really want install firefox just for the sole purpose of making sure i got my system specs in lol.
just worked for me on IE9 when I choose signup and logged into my account. said I was already registerd and had a link to click for survey.
Old 2012-06-26, 12:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #239
Poser
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by The Degenatron View Post
To me, the possibility that this thing could be in beta before 2013 is absolutely amazing.
What? I'm pretty sure they are targeting a Fall release date...
Old 2012-06-26, 12:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #240
Geist
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by RadarX View Post
The goal is honestly to support PlanetSide Day and get you guys in for some nostalgic game play.
I honestly support you using Planetside Day to determine how many PS1 Vets are active. It don't think it would upset anyone at all if you did so.
"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

-Douglas Adams
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion