Snipers: Because I care. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Don't look down, don't look down!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-04-12, 04:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Snipers: Because I care.

I remember having a lot of discussions in the past about snipers with people like Dio, so for the benefit of everyone not in the Beta (as I am and have been for the last month or so) I'll give you a rundown of the Bolt Driver.

1) The Bolt Driver is its own cert. Yes, this is public info, but I wanted to say it. You spend 3 cert points for the sole purpose of getting one gun.

2) Bolt Drivers have 5 bullets per clip. Each clip is the size of a 50-round clip for a Cycler or some such. For those who want a translation, you can't carry much ammo.

3) Bolt Drivers have a pretty slow reload. It's single shot, so after every bullet, you reload.

4) The cone of fire for the Bolt Driver is extremely large until you crouch and not move at all. And that includes looking around. For the most accurate, pin-point shots, you need to be absolutely still.

5) My favorite part - when a Bolt Driver fires, it leaves a tracer behind it. The tracer disappears quickly, but if someone is looking in your general direction when you fire the gun, they will know your exact position because of the big white line extending from you to your bullet's point of impact.

6) Oh, and yeah, we all know how damaging it is. In Agile it'll drop you to about 25 health and 75 armor. So 2 shots is fatal. I think Reinforced can survive 3 shots. MAX armor, don't even bother, you're not going to kill it. And as was stated before, Standard and Infiltration suits die instantly.

Anyway, those to-be snipers out there are probably looking at this and feeling kind of disappointed. If you're sort of pissed at how snipers work right now, let me tell you that I dislike snipers in virtually every game due to how imbalanced they are, but I think they're awesome in PS because they're balanced, and they take a lot of skill. It's very similar to using a Scout sniper rifle in Counter-strike, minus the headshots of course. If you're skilled, you'll get a lot of kills. If you're just some wannabe "leet dood" who thinks sniping should "pwn" everyone, you're going to be fodder for Infiltrators and sneaky guys with mini-chainguns.
Old 2003-04-12, 05:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Lanizer

Thanks for the information! I'll be sure to add you to my victim list just for the fun of it.
- Happy Stalker
Old 2003-04-12, 05:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally posted by Lanizer
Thanks for the information! I'll be sure to add you to my victim list just for the fun of it.
- Happy Stalker
I'm actually a Prowler pilot by profession, and I stick to a Basilisk anytime I'm solo. So you're going to be hard-pressed to add me to your victim list. But, just for that, I'll keep a special eye out for you -- snipers have a difficult time evading large, fast-moving tanks

*EDIT* Because I spell like a crippled marmot at 6:30am.

Last edited by Warborn; 2003-04-12 at 05:23 AM.
Old 2003-04-12, 05:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Sarah Jinstar
Staff Sergeant

Warborn, what empire are you playing for?
Old 2003-04-12, 05:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Ruthless
Sergeant

LOL roadkill
Old 2003-04-12, 05:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally posted by Sarah Jinstar
Warborn, what empire are you playing for?
TR all the way, brutha.
Old 2003-04-12, 06:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Tobias
I'm with the Vanu

Well, I am still going to be a sniper, and true you may find me and run me over as I flee your tank screaming like a little girl, but I will then find your young and un skilled and shoot them, and this will make me fell better.

Old 2003-04-12, 06:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Deal
Old 2003-04-12, 06:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Destroyeron
Troll x2

Originally posted by Warborn
TR all the way, brutha.

I'm gonna be a Prowler Pilot too.
Old 2003-04-12, 06:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Sarah Jinstar
Staff Sergeant

I think you meant sista but I get the point
Old 2003-04-12, 07:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Terik
Master Sergeant

Originally posted by Ruthless
LOL roadkill
Well, back in my old T2 days I used to have a problem with sniping, particularly vehicle station sniping. So what I did was, I took my scout flyer and make it look like I was flying in the opossite direction of the ub13 l331 V pad sniping asshole. When I was out of view range, I came around behind him, fired up the afterburners, and watched the asshole's mangled, lifeles corpse slide off my windshield.

With ballz of differing sizes

One was small, hardly nothing at all

But the other won numerous prizes

Last edited by Terik; 2003-04-12 at 07:34 AM.
Old 2003-04-12, 09:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

I'm gonna be a Prowler Pilot too.
Cool. There are very few dedicated Prowler pilots out there, which is understandable given that the pilot controls no weapons. It takes a special breed to pilot a tank in PS (except for the pilots Vanu and their MagRider tank, as the pilot controls the anti-infantry gun).

Originally posted by Sarah Jinstar
I think you meant sista but I get the point
I try to keep things neutral online. Gender just gets in the way on the Interweb.

Well, back in my old T2 days I used to have a problem with sniping, particularly vehicle station sniping. So what I did was, I took my scout flyer and make it look like I was flying in the opossite direction of the ub13 l331 V pad sniping asshole. When I was out of view range, I came around behind him, fired up the afterburners, and watched the asshole's mangled, lifeles corpse slide off my windshield.
Vehicle pad camping is hard to do as a sniper in PS, as all vehicle pads aside for the air vehicle pads on the top of the tech plant are behind fairly high walls. Unless the sniper can get to an elevation, he won't be able to see you.

But you should still do your best to kill them wherever you find them.
Old 2003-04-12, 11:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Terik
Master Sergeant

Originally posted by Warborn
But you should still do your best to kill them wherever you find them.
I sure as hell will, you can bet your life savings on that.

With ballz of differing sizes

One was small, hardly nothing at all

But the other won numerous prizes
Old 2003-04-12, 12:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
NeoTassadar
Lieutenant Colonel

Awesome, I always thought being a sniper was too easy. Since there's a trail for Bolt Driver, the only real disadvantage to Lancer is lack of ammo (but the Lancer's trail a lot more visable). Maybe CoF also, but I doubt that.
Old 2003-04-12, 12:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Venoxile
Second Lieutenant

Tank driving has to be the most boring profession... First, you can't kill anyone unless you can run someone over before your gunners take him out, which limits how much bp you will get... (unless tank crews share xp, i do not know) And second, if you try to leave your tank you will get shredded by anti infantry guns due to your shit agile armor. If anything, I wouldn't even hop into a tank as a gunner, it's a death trap to any small-medium group of infantry with strikers, lancers, decimators, or phoenixes.
Preferably I'd just use a basilisk alongside the tank and use the tank as cover when getting owned.

P.S. can you shoot someone out of a basilisk/buggy or does only the vehicle take damage?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion