Invite system is backwards. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: That internet thing just might catch on one of these days...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-11-24, 09:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Marsman
Major

Invite system is backwards.

Think about it... the player needing the invite to a squad is most likely just coming into the game, sitting in sanc, and out of harms way - thus has the most amount of time to type in safety.
The squad leader is most likely right in the middle of a battle, or commanding, and yet is expect to stop - type /invite whoeverisasking (and spell it right as well) - thus they are most likely to be in harms way and have little time to type.
I say this is backwards and impares the squad leader from the game and his job as leader. I propose this system be reversed. The player wanting the squad invite should be the one to type. A new command should be created ( /request squadleader or /rinvite squadleader ) and let the squad leader get the pop up [yes] [no] to the request for invite from player whoeverisasking. This allows him to do a quick click yes or no and is much better suited to the heat of battle conditions, freeing him from the dreaded /invite whoeverisasking typing while someone is shooting at them. Let the requesting player do the typing as they are much more likely to be out of harms way at the time.

As an addition to this idea to save even further typing - I proposed any player that is a member of an outfit be able to select a menu and display all currently playing squad leaders, the number of players currently in their squad. and the continent they are on. Each squad leader should have a [Request Invite] Button next them (unless their squad is full of course) and allow the incoming player to send that squad leader an Invite Request simply by clicking that button. Players not a member of an outfit or wishing to join a squad not in their outfit would have to use the conventional method described above.

I've always felt the squad leader was burdened and disadvantaged with the current invite system. Inverting the invite system would give them some relief. Implementing a menu system for incoming players to quickly and easily locate a squad leader with a simple click request invite could eliminate probably 90% of the typed invitations in the game as well. Lets change this devs and make it easier on everyone to get invited with the least hassle.
Old 2003-11-24, 09:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Contributor
Banned for no reason

Misc Info

Another great idea that makes complete sense. But looking at SOE's past patterns i doubt it will come into effect.

Old 2003-11-24, 09:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Aen
First Sergeant

Good idea. But instead of discontinuing the old, why not just implement your idea also. That way you could have both systems, in case the Squad Leader wanted to invite cause he was the one out of harms way, and saw someone LFS.
Old 2003-11-24, 09:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Marsman
Major

Oh I agree - no reason to get rid of the old command. That way we stay backward compatable as well. I agree there can be times where a leader might want to type in an invite to a player.
Old 2003-11-24, 09:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
bryan25
Sergeant Major

Wy not have a system where people who are looking for a squad press a button to bring up a LFS menu and put there name on a LFS list. All commanders that need members just bring up that list and see all the people that are LFS. They should also see the certs and BR and CR as well, and all they have to do is click a button that sends the LFS person an invite. And mabye even if they only need 1 member they can select 3 people that are LFS and the 1st one to accept gets into squad, and the other 2 are sent a message that the position is already taken.

WHAT do u THINK?

Last edited by bryan25; 2003-11-24 at 10:01 PM.
Old 2003-11-24, 10:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
delta
First Sergeant

A very Uber l33t Idea.

Rawr! I'm a tiger! I'm also fluffy but I have big teeth!
Old 2003-11-25, 05:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Cider_Ownz
Corporal

A small flaw.... what if he is in a middle of a firefight?

It's gonna be just like that stupid "AMS you have accidently bound yourseld into instead of decounstructing because those things are so damm close has lost its owner. It will decounstruct in 15 minutes".
Old 2003-11-25, 07:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Reload
Private

Sounds like a good addition to the current invite process. I would like to see the SL being able to opt out off this function as i coud see it being abused to spam a SL with pop-ups.
Old 2003-11-25, 09:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Black
Lieutenant Colonel

Mention it in the next dev interview u do. Very nice idea.
Old 2003-11-25, 11:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Marsman
Major

Ok - for one, the popup on the squad leader should NOT take over the mouse function. Squad leader shouild have to press tab to click the yes/no. This should solve the issue of being in a fire fight. (Same for the AMS popup imho - no automatic popup should take over mouse control while you are playing).

As for spamming a SL with request invites, either the /ignore function or an ignore choice on the popup should solve that. That or anti-spam (like on the voice menu) to prevent repeated request invites would also work.
Old 2003-11-25, 05:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Happy lil Elf
Contributor
Colonel

So lemme get this straight. You can send a request for an invite and the the squad leader gets a pop up box?

Did you think about how badly people could/would annoy someone if this was implimented? CR5s getting hit with 30/minute comes to mind. Possibly more if they've just said something stupid over global. Not to mention a pissed off outfit could really run some poor guys night.

Its eating it's food. (Incorrect use of apostrophes specifically for UV)
"Oni wont get banned, unless you get banned. Its a 2 man ticket."-Hamma to TekDragon re: his request to ban Oni. Life is good.
Old 2003-11-25, 05:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Marsman
Major

Agreed the potential for abuse would require the ability for SL's to disable the function to prevent such probs. Its sad to think there are minds so small as to try to spam a SL with requests - but I know there are
Despite it's potential for abuse, and the need for control of said abuse, I still think this is possible. At least something other than typing can be done with the invite system and for other systems as well.
Old 2003-11-25, 06:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Marsman
Major

Ok - how about a right-click ability on a players name in chat - could bring up a menu of /tell or /invite or /ignore and whatever else might be useful.
Old 2003-11-25, 06:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Hamma
PSU Admin

I agree with the right click. When I went out to check out Ultima X they had a system where you click on players names (like a hyperlink) and it gave you a variety of options.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2003-11-26, 07:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
ZjinPS
Staff Sergeant

I'm just asking Santa for a 'Zjin is not currently looking to join an Outfit at this time' flag. I get pestered by 12 year olds and their Pokemon outfits too much.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion