Da Thumper? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I dont' know, should i shoot him?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-05-02, 11:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
TekDragon
Contributor

Da Thumper?

Hey, was looking for some feedback on how the thumper works in the game. After reading some facts on it at PS realm it seems to be a real solid weapon.

Frag gernades do "extreme" damage to infantry and maxes, with good damage on vehicles, while plasma gernades are reasonably effective as well. Add in the arc effect (for shooting over rocks, small hills, walls, etc) and blast radius and it sounds even sweeter!

My question: How well would a thumper work in a squad scenario (teamwork related), and would it be viable to JUST have a thumper and a A-V werapon, or would you need a medium or heavy assault weapon to handle infantry?

Thanks.
Old 2003-05-02, 11:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Trol
Staff Sergeant

I've found the Tumper is awesome. Only draw back is that you have to be really careful not to hit friendlies with the splash damage. Outdoors a Thumper and AV wepon works good together. Indoors it really sux unless you are with a small amout of friendlies and they all know you have a Thumper that you are clearing rooms with.

Catacombs Network News:
DAoC Catacombs
WoW Catacombs
Final Fantasy Catacombs
Old 2003-05-02, 11:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
LesserShade
Contributor
Major

Special Assault cert is almost worth it just to use the thumper for spamming tower basements.
Old 2003-05-02, 11:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Led

'gREnades'
Old 2003-05-02, 11:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
TekDragon
Contributor

Originally posted by Led
'gREnades'
*Adds Led to list of people he will destroy when PS comes out*

Anywho... im a little worried about the uses of the thumper when the game goes live. With SO MANY people focused on an area i dont see how a AOE weapon like the thumper would be useful. I image before I got done unloading my clip id be experiencing weapon lock.
Old 2003-05-02, 11:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Happy lil Elf
Contributor
Colonel

Thumper is prety good. Never had much luck with it for MAXs or other heavily armored things, I like the decimator more for that, but it does really well against infantry especially in heated tower battles.

Its eating it's food. (Incorrect use of apostrophes specifically for UV)
"Oni wont get banned, unless you get banned. Its a 2 man ticket."-Hamma to TekDragon re: his request to ban Oni. Life is good.
Old 2003-05-02, 12:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Pilgrim
Contributor
First Lieutenant

The great thing about spec assault is the varriety.

I carry 3 Decemators (1 in hand 2 in inv) for outdoor work. Great fun for tanks, and slow moving Reavers. With decent use in close range against MAX. Use the secondary mode to fire at stationary targets at extreme range. Then correct when you see how much you missed by. I've knocked turrets and tanks out when they where barely a shimmer on the horrizon!

When Tower is the target, or the resistance is high at a base, but mostly internal, I switch to Thumper with a High Frag/plasma load and a single box of jammers. My squad (at least when in outfit) know that I'm gonna put a CRAP load of explosives into any door, and give me room to do so. Also use the secondary fire to bounce nades down stairs in towers. Also place a jammer nade on each entry before your boys pour in... deny those engi Bastards the satisfaction of you stepping on their mine!

And at last when the hack is made, and we're feeling good about ourselves, switch to the Rocklet... the much maligned rocklet is the single best room clearing weapon in the game IMHO. Use secondary fire and spam rockets (though never at further then 3 meters or so from the baddie.)

In base, I'd take spec assault over AV any day... the only thing I've found that AV does better is Anti-Air.

And best of all because Spec assault is common pool NOBODY bitches about them! Nice to kill someone and they just have to bow!

PAX
Old 2003-05-02, 12:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
LesserShade
Contributor
Major

Originally posted by Hunter-R

And best of all because Spec assault is common pool NOBODY bitches about them! Nice to kill someone and they just have to bow!
excellent point :/

Did they do some tweaking to rocklet damage in any of the recent patches? I noticed that I was getting torn up by one last night and I was kind of suprised because the rocklets always seemed kind of gimp against infantry in the past.
Old 2003-05-02, 01:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
simba
Major

doesent seem like 2 many is gonna use the thumpa, maybe I will if its fun and good enough.
I was just wondering, how many nades is it in every clip of the plasma nades, frag nades and jammer nades?
But if its not good enough ill just take a punisher and some nades 4 that 1 so then I wonder if its any good with nades and how many nades each of the nade clips holds.
Old 2003-05-02, 03:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Led

Originally posted by TekDragon
'clip'
'Magazine'

Old 2003-05-02, 03:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
OneManArmy
Contributor
Lieutenant General

my deliemma with it is, the punisher uses the same gernades that the thumper does... so, I prefer to have the weapon that can throw gernades and bullets around. also I can also throw the same gernades by hand that the thumper uses.... I guess its just a metter of opinion on how you want to get the gernade from point A to point B.
Old 2003-05-02, 03:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Ouroboros
Contributor
Major

Originally posted by Led
Led
'Spaz'
Old 2003-05-02, 03:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Led

Originally posted by OneManArmy
my deliemma with it is, the punisher uses the same gernades that the thumper does... so, I prefer to have the weapon that can throw gernades and bullets around. also I can also throw the same gernades by hand that the thumper uses.... I guess its just a metter of opinion on how you want to get the gernade from point A to point B.
Old 2003-05-02, 03:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Revenant
First Sergeant

I'm pretty sure they sell de-cafe at the local corner store now Led.....

Old 2003-05-02, 03:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Led

DIE
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion