Some Newb Questions - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: If you pick at it, it WILL get worse.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions

Old 2012-07-26, 10:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
AmongstShadow
Private

Some Newb Questions

Hello Guys,

I'm definitely new here, and to the entire Planet Side series. I hope to play in the beta with some of my friends, because this game appeals a lot to me. However, I have a few questions that I would like to ask those who have played the game, and have a rough idea.

1. I like to be a sniper. How realistic is it in this game? I've watched plenty of game play, and it looks pretty difficult to hit a target at a distance. Especially one that is moving.

2. Another thing is that my buddies and I would enjoy a covert operation to proceed deep into enemy territory. Perhaps capture something and defend, or just create a diversion. My question is that are these at all effective, and fun to play out?

3. I know you can't go prone, but can you at least crouch?

4. If I'm engaging into some tank vs. tank warfare, does it matter where I hit the opposing tank? I mean, some other games I've played it actually matters where you aim, because damage won't always be inflicted if you hit the toughest armor.

5. Is the role of infantry somewhat overrated if you can mass tanks+aircraft, at least when it doesn't concern capture points?

Thanks guys - those were just a few of my questions that I was thinking about
Old 2012-07-26, 10:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Gugabalog
Major

Re: Some Newb Questions

1. It has realistic ballistic modelling. But as VS uses energy weapons they deal with steeper loss of damage over distance rather than bullet drop.

2.I haven't played yet, but they are possible, and theoretically effective.

3. Almost definitely, would be disappointed if this turned into a massive unreal match.

4. Yes, there is armor facing, but it depends on the enemy tankers armor certs.

5. Infantry play a role depending on enviroment.

Tanks share forest with inf.

Inf rule canyons.

Air rules plains.

Depends on the biome and weather really.
Old 2012-07-27, 12:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Ratstomper
Major

Originally Posted by AmongstShadow View Post
1. I like to be a sniper. How realistic is it in this game? I've watched plenty of game play, and it looks pretty difficult to hit a target at a distance. Especially one that is moving.
From what we've seen it is fairly realistic. You can shoot incredible distances, but TR and NC will have to adjust for bullet drop. VS, as stated above, have more damage dropoff over long distances. Projectile speeds are pretty fast, though. If you can lead, adjust for bullet drop and track properly, you should be able to pull off some pretty spectacular shots.

2. Another thing is that my buddies and I would enjoy a covert operation to proceed deep into enemy territory. Perhaps capture something and defend, or just create a diversion. My question is that are these at all effective, and fun to play out?
Someone wrote up a scenario where a platoon made an attack behind enemy lines between two enemy fronts to help coerce them into fighting each other. Seems that tactics like this will be effective, yes. We also know holding areas around a base make the base easier to capture. So hitting easier to take points behind enemy lines may be a viable tactic to taking a well-defended base.

3. I know you can't go prone, but can you at least crouch?
Yep. Crouch is in game.

4. If I'm engaging into some tank vs. tank warfare, does it matter where I hit the opposing tank? I mean, some other games I've played it actually matters where you aim, because damage won't always be inflicted if you hit the toughest armor.
Rear tank armor is "softer" than front armor. We also know Tank main guns move pretty slowly, so having tank busting infantry squads will be a viable anti-tank tactic.

5. Is the role of infantry somewhat overrated if you can mass tanks+aircraft, at least when it doesn't concern capture points?
Vehicles will require resources to acquire. So, it may not always be viable to have a powerful vehicle. There are also areas in the game where vehicle warfare is impractical, or just impossible. Infantry seem potent enough that it likely won't become vehicleside 2.

Last edited by Ratstomper; 2012-07-27 at 12:52 AM.
Old 2012-07-27, 12:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Gugabalog
Major

Originally Posted by Ratstomper View Post
Someone wrote up a scenario where a platoon made an attack behind enemy lines between two enemy fronts to help coerce them into fighting each other. Seems that tactics like this will be effective, yes. We also know holding areas around a base make the base easier to capture. So hitting easier to take points behind enemy lines may be a viable tactic to taking a well-defended base.
I wrote up that scenario
Old 2012-07-27, 12:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Ratstomper
Major

Originally Posted by Gugabalog View Post
I wrote up that scenario
This guy wrote up that scenario. I skimmed it. Seems like a decent tactic. I'm not even sure you'd need a whole platoon to do it.
Old 2012-07-27, 01:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Gugabalog
Major

Yep I did. I'm thinking about other potential strategems, but nothing refined down to unit tactics level.
Old 2012-07-27, 01:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Ratstomper
Major

Well, it's also a little difficult without being hands on and knowing exactly what squads and platoons are capable of. It's all speculation at this point...
Old 2012-07-27, 01:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Gugabalog
Major

Yeah. I expect a squad to be able to hold a room for a half an hour with proper coordination against zerg. A platoon to hold a building or a point. an out fit to an outpost or base. Or it may turn into an outfit per building. might actually properly man these defenses...

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions