Tanks real roll - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Home of this Quote
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2004-02-15, 11:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
Fenrys
Major

We don't know what Vanguard armor is made of. A DU round may or may not be able to punch through it.
Old 2004-02-16, 12:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #47
Seer
Major

Considering a vanguard takes damage from 20mms, we can assume its armor is nothing special. Not that it matters terribly--what an odd game planetside would be if the devs gave us weapons with modern day capabilities.
Old 2004-02-16, 02:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #48
Dyentious
Private

Holy crap!

So it actually sucks the soldiers right out of the tank through a small hole?
Kinda like in Aliens? I think it was aliens 3 heh.

That's pretty friggin hardcore
Old 2004-02-16, 08:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #49
Geist
Lieutenant Colonel

Aliens 4, dude
Old 2004-02-16, 09:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #50
Daleon
Second Lieutenant

Reavers and Mossy's are defintely more helo than jet. I do think real jet style vehicles would be a boon to the game though. Fast movers that can't stop and hover in midair. With the ability to carry multiple ordances, air-air-guided, air-ground-guided, & air-ground-dumb. Anyone thats a jet jockey in BF9142-DC knows how much fun this type of flying can be.

So back to the original argument, as our current air are more like helicopters of today, and today's helicopters are often considering "tank-killers" its hard to really argue with our current situation. Once you've seen a Apache pop up out of some trees, let loose with a salvo of hellfires and slaughter a tank you know why.
Old 2004-02-16, 09:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #51
Majik
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Peacemaker
Sick and tired of 5 mags rollin down from a base that can own anything in the air and ground.
So, just so I am clear, you are bitching because your 1 reaver gets owned when it tries to take on 5 enemy tanks? Because 1 on 1 a reaver who gets the drop on a mag has just as good a chance against it as it does against them. Get a tank, STFU
Old 2004-02-16, 09:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #52
Peacemaker
Contributor
Major General

Nooo. Im bitchin when 10 reavers have this happen to them. This little issue of mine was brought to a head the other day when about 9 reavers were downed by 3 magriders.
Old 2004-02-16, 10:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #53
Incompetent
Contributor
InComa

Anyone here willing/able to dig up the numbers on maintaining an attack helo compared to a tank? (man hours, cost, downtime ect.) I'm far to lazy and uninformed to do it myself, but i'll put good money on the difference being quite a bit more then 4/3.

Last edited by Incompetent; 2004-02-16 at 10:06 AM.
Old 2004-02-16, 09:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
Visor
Sergeant

its supossed to be fair not realistic its a fictionous game to realistic in any way.
Old 2004-02-16, 10:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
UncleDynamite
Lieutenant Colonel

As cool as jet-based aircraft would be, I think the devs are reluctant to put those in due to their concerns of speed-induced warping. As for the hours needed to maintain an Attack Heli, I heard that it takes twice as many hours to fully maintain an Apache versus an Abraham. That might just be someone speculating, so don't take my word on it. However, it should be noted that maintaining either a tank or attack helicopter involves a lot of hours, period. For every hour a tank is used in combat, there are way more hours needed to keep it in prime condition.
Old 2004-02-16, 10:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #56
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

The reaver couls do some more AV damage with its rockets a whole loadout of rockets to kill a tank is a bit rediculous when they have decent AV power

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-02-17, 11:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #57
Krinsath
Sergeant Major

Ok...first off, the Vanu's entire design philosphy stresses versatility over speed and over power. Why are you surprised that their battle tank is mediocre against everything? It does shoot down aircraft remarkably well in a one on one situation, but that's generally because the pilot is giving the tank an easy shot. It's a direct-line weapon....don't stay in a direct line in relation to the turret.

And to secondly, to put to rest the nonsense that "this is unrealistic that it can shoot down the VTOLs"...take yourself over to:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...ons/m830a1.htm

And read a bit. Even a little picture illustrating the point. For those of you who are like me and generally too lazy to click a link, the relevant portion:

"The M830A1 HEAT (High Explosive Anti-Tank) round, recently fielded for the M1A1 and M1A2 Main Battle Tank, is a major advancement over its predecessor, the M830, which has been in the US inventory since the early '80s. HEAT rounds have multi-purpose warheads which are used to defeat armored vehicles, helicopters and soft targets such as bunkers."

If the helicopter is dumb enough to fly in the Abrams' field of fire, it will be destroyed. If the Reaver/Mosquito is dumb enough to hang out over top of a tank, it will be destroyed. Carry out attack runs on quick strafes and use those afterburners, your problems with tanks are greatly alleviated. In a combat situation, there's really little reason to hover unless you're picking off infantry in a zone that's largely under control by friendly armor and air.

Attack runs do too little damage? Form a squadron of Reavers, go tank hunting. A full squadron of 10 Reavers actually *coordinating* is a force that is hard to stop short of a full squad of AA (which...makes sense...).

My $.02 on the topic.
Old 2004-02-17, 11:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #58
Vis Armata
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Attack runs do too little damage? Form a squadron of Reavers, go tank hunting. A full squadron of 10 Reavers actually *coordinating* is a force that is hard to stop short of a full squad of AA (which...makes sense...).
Having been in tanks when this happens and also leading coordinated squadrons of strike craft, I totally agree.

Mags are more likely to hit airplanes, but dodging the rail beam is definitely possible.

I only rarely kill planes with my tank gun - it's easier just to use the machinegun. Sustained 20mm fire is more likely to repel a plane than the main gun.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion