Recent string of Emails to Smedley in regards to PS1 F2P Status - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Humping allowed 24/7/365
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2013-04-18, 01:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Death2All
Major

Misc Info
Recent string of Emails to Smedley in regards to PS1 F2P Status

A few days ago I emailed Smedley in regards to PS1 going F2P. The email I got back isn't exactly encouraging but I figured I'd share it with the community just to give you guys an update on PS1's F2P status.

Me:A few months ago you made the tweet saying that PS1 would go F2P by June. Is there a possibility that PS1 could officially go F2P by May 20th (PS's 10th's anniversary). Thank you for taking the time to read this email.

Smed:We haven't worked on it at all. No one is playing the game. It's not because its not f2p though.

Me:I hope I'm not misinterpreting this, but is PS1 still going to go F2P by June? Or does the fact that you haven't begun working on it translate to "it's not going to happen?"

Smed:it's going to happen. not sure if it will be by June.

seriously. no one is playing it. It's not high on our list.

In response to this I emailed Smed back a rather long winded message about the PS1 community and his doubts surrounding it, but unfortunately it got no response.

Me:Incoming wall of text:

TL;DR: Many people are willing to play the game, the subscription fee is the strongest barrier.

Many people have stated that the main barrier that keeps them from playing the game is the fact that the game has a $15 subscription fee. Most people can't justify paying $15/mo for a game with little to no dev support.

There's plenty of talks on PSU of people who expressed interest in coming back to the game if it were to go F2P (http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...ad.php?t=51638). There was even a petition started to make PS1 go F2P/lowered sub cost that got over 300 signatures (http://www.change.org/petitions/sony...charge-2#share).

People definitely want to play the game. To say that "No one is playing the game, not because it's not F2P" is an ignorant statement. Many people have deep sentiment and respect for the game. The only reason people aren't playing the game as of right now, as I said before, is because there's the $15 subscription fee. People aren't going to pay $15/mo for a game that gets absolutely no support.

I hope this post didn't come off as overly aggressive. It's just that PS1 is very near and dear to mine, and many other people's hearts. Many of us have been playing the game since is first launched in '03 til present. To be deprived of it now is very disappointing and frustrating for much of the PS1 community. If PS1 were to go F2P/lowered sub fee I'm certain that many players would return and continue to play the game for years to come.

Please don't dismiss, undermine, or underestimate the PS1 community. Although it may be small in comparisson to other games, it's a very tight group of people who are very committed to the game.

It's really a kick in the balls to hear that work hasn't even begun on PS1's transition to F2P and that it's more than likely not going to meet the (rather loose) deadline Smed gave us to hope on a few months ago. I'm hoping that posting this here will maybe stir up a reaction within the PS1 community that will let SOE know that there are people who are wanting to play this game. Smedley seems pretty bent on the idea that "no one plays PS, and not because it's not F2P". I'm hoping that maybe we can get enough of reaction that perhaps it might sway Smedley's (or someone higher up that can do something with PS) opinion on PS1.

I know this in more than likely in vain and probably hopeless, but thanks for reading regardless.

EDIT: Link to the "Official forums" thread.

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON

Last edited by Death2All; 2013-04-22 at 09:15 PM.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion