The Game Who Cried "NERF!" - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Ze goggles! Zey do nothing!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-01-13, 10:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
DovahTerran
Corporal

Red face The Game Who Cried "NERF!"

Sooooo... I just want to make a small little statement. Not intending a flame war, but an objective look at where our perspective as PSU is currently aimed.

Aren't we all going a bit overkill about what needs fixing?

I'm not defending SOE here - I oppose some of their views, and others I get along with - but I AM saying this: Perhaps SOE might know what they're doing, if they're continued to make and sell games the world over for a sizeable period of time like they have. You can't get as big as they do without doing SOMETHING right.

I want the game to be as good as it can be, too. But at the same time..

-Guns feel like they have plenty of variety. It's subtle, but it's there.

-You can counter anything with either the same thing (armor v. armor, etc) or it's equal unit (armor v. air, air v. infantry rockets, armor v. infantry rockets, and vice versa), or something completely different (armor v. tree )

-The performance is mostly bearable. I'm playing on a 6 year old machine that can manage a decent amount of combat. It just takes some work and selective fighting.

-I hardly see ANY problems regarding hackers, ETC on Connery. And if they do come around I literally spam them and give them hell until I never see them in-game again. (Not to mention judicious use of the /orders command to tell my whole empire, which works pretty well ). I don't tolerate it and neither does SOE but when you have so many people playing worldwide that IS a lot of work.

I'd say that's pretty much it. I love the game the way it is. A few minor tweaks (mostly regarding performance and UI) and I couldn't be a happier person.

Enjoy

Grinny
Old 2013-01-13, 10:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
gunshooter
Corporal

Re: The Game Who Cried "NERF!"

If variety is subtle then the guns probably don't feel like they have plenty of variety...

Just reads like typical fanboy drivel. "Every point you have against the game is wrong because I said so! There! Now please stop trying to improve it! It's absolutely perfect! SOE can do no wrong!"
Old 2013-01-13, 10:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
capiqu
Contributor
First Lieutenant

I have to agree. Most of you give constructive criticism but too many post things as "What should be done to save Planetside2". Save Planetside2?
It hasn't been 3 months since release and some of you really are running around like Chicken Little. Relax Planetside 2 will be around for a very long time.

Old 2013-01-13, 10:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
ringring
Contributor
General

Funnily enough I agree with that list.

However, I am often posting in favour of stuff to be changed just not that. Well, ttk could do with a slight reduction.

The real problem is the purpose of it all. Many of us have played a MMOFPS which did have a purpose so we know the difference between that and this.

It's not to say that we're saying everything is bad or wrong or everything has to like that 'other' game except that we can see problems where there is a fix ready and waiting and is tried and tested.

I'm also sure the devs see this too, or at least agree in part. The main 'fixes' are in the pipeline but they will take a lot of time before they're here and that is the frustrating part.
Old 2013-01-13, 11:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Palerion
Sergeant Major

I understand that you may be satisfied with the game at its current state; and yes, the people who act like the world is ending should learn to be a bit more objective, constructive, and helpful about what they think the game needs some improving on.

But I can certainly tell you I appreciate the fact that people sit back, take the time to analyze a problem with the game, and propose a solution to the community. There are some glaring problems with the game, and while you may be satisfied with it, it could be so much better.

Now, onto your list.

- I have honestly never played a game with so little weapon variety. Different recoil and a new part on a carbon copy weapon model is not variety; you can get more variety out of one weapon on Blacklight: Retribution than you can out of all the weapons for one class in this game.

- Not everything can be countered as easily as you claim; when one faction in specific has an advantage in terms of their vehicle/weapon, it can be a challenge to counter. And even though it can be countered, it is quite a hassle to have to go out of your way so much as to spawn a vehicle just to kill the liberator camping above your spawn.

- Can't comment on performance. I have no problems whatsoever, but I'm running a 660ti with a 3570k.

- I don't notice hackers much, and usually just blame myself or my gun when I unload a clip on a guy and he doesn't die.

Now, I understand that you also think the game could be better, which is why I think we all benifit from dedicated community members trying to help spot and knock out the kinks, design failures, and downright flaws in this game; and yes, they do exist.
Old 2013-01-13, 11:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
ShadetheDruid
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Palerion View Post
- I have honestly never played a game with so little weapon variety. Different recoil and a new part on a carbon copy weapon model is not variety; you can get more variety out of one weapon on Blacklight: Retribution than you can out of all the weapons for one class in this game.
I was going to laugh, but then I realised you were serious. Just, no.
Old 2013-01-13, 11:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
james
Sergeant Major

But as always these are people's opinion and a large majority of the vocal community would care to disagree.
Old 2013-01-13, 11:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

Well once the devs announced a few changes that with respect to the larger balance of the game ai/ground and base defense -then all the saps who want a really simple game started asking for every asymmetrical element of the game to be nerfed.
Old 2013-01-13, 11:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Palerion
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by ShadetheDruid View Post
I was going to laugh, but then I realised you were serious. Just, no.
I'm sorry? I understand it may vary on class, as Terran medics do have a decent bit of variety in terms of their weaponry, but the comparison I made was certainly not invalid when you look at most carbines and LMGs. Next time, explain to me why I'm wrong instead of simply insulting my post liike an asshole.
Old 2013-01-13, 11:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
ShadetheDruid
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Palerion View Post
I'm sorry? I understand it may vary on class, as Terran medics do have a decent bit of variety in terms of their weaponry, but the comparison I made was certainly not invalid when you look at most carbines and LMGs. Next time, explain to me why I'm wrong instead of simply insulting my post liike an asshole.
Well if you can't see the gameplay differences between, say, the Mercenary, the GD-7F and the Razor, or the Gauss SAW, Gauss SAW S and the GD-22S, then I don't know what to say.
Old 2013-01-13, 11:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
gunshooter
Corporal

Originally Posted by ShadetheDruid View Post
Well if you can't see the gameplay differences between, say, the Mercenary, the GD-7F and the Razor, or the Gauss SAW, Gauss SAW S and the GD-22S, then I don't know what to say.
There aren't gameplay differences. You're confusing situational advantages and disadvantages with actual gameplay differences.

Mercenary: Strong in all situations. At close range, you hipfire. At mid range, you ADS and burst/hold down left click. At long range, you ADS and burst/hold down left click. Recoil goes up (the only true difference)
GD-7F: Strongest at close range, still good at mid-long in comparison to other carbines. At close range, you hipfire. At mid range, you ADS and burst/hold down left click. At long range, you ADS and burst/hold down left click. Recoil goes right.
Razor: A Mercenary that trades ROF for a minor projectile speed increase and slightly less recoil. Functionally identical in actual practice.

Last edited by gunshooter; 2013-01-13 at 12:00 PM.
Old 2013-01-13, 11:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Crator
Major General

Visit an open Internet forum and you get a variety of threads pop up. Tis the nature of the beast. Can't take the heat? Get out the kitchen! Or debate the topics you disagree with to learn/come to a consensus? Isn't that what forums like this are for?

Last edited by Crator; 2013-01-13 at 12:04 PM.
Old 2013-01-13, 11:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Palerion
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by gunshooter View Post
There aren't gameplay differences. You're confusing situational advantages and disadvantages with actual gameplay differences.
Exactly. And honestly I'm getting tired of sifting through stats to find out which gun fits me. I wish all guns felt awesome, and stat sifting was just a way to find out which one feels the most awesome. Instead I find myself fighting for one that feels somewhat good.
Old 2013-01-13, 12:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Synnoc
Contributor
Private

Originally Posted by capiqu View Post
I have to agree. Most of you give constructive criticism but too many post things as "What should be done to save Planetside2". Save Planetside2?
It hasn't been 3 months since release and some of you really are running around like Chicken Little. Relax Planetside 2 will be around for a very long time.
Not that I'm trying to put words in people's mouths, but when someone says they're trying to "save Planetside 2", it's usually just shorthand for "give Planetside 2 the ideas, frameworks and overall feel of Planetside 1 that made it such a beloved game, while at the same time replacing the bad parts of Planetside 1 with the new modern sensibilities". If the game lasts forever, but doesn't feel like Planetside, then to those that loved the original so much it might as well be dead.
Old 2013-01-13, 12:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by gunshooter View Post

Mercenary: Strong in all situations. At close range, you hipfire. At mid range, you ADS and burst/hold down left click. At long range, you ADS and burst/hold down left click. Recoil goes up (the only true difference)
GD-7F: Strongest at close range, still good at mid-long in comparison to other carbines. At close range, you hipfire. At mid range, you ADS and burst/hold down left click. At long range, you ADS and burst/hold down left click. Recoil goes right.
Razor: A Mercenary that trades ROF for a minor projectile speed increase and slightly less recoil. Functionally identical in actual practice.
Please explain what constitutes an actual game play difference.
The GD-7F is amazing hip fired reaching out to 15 yards effectively - i guess that doesnt count.
The Razor can do tight controlled bursts at 45+ yards - I guess that doesnt count.

Oh wait - you have almost excluded every possible feature of a gun.

Last edited by Ghoest9; 2013-01-13 at 01:01 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion