"The Vanu are techno-religious nut jobs." - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Web site found. Waiting for reply...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-09-29, 02:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #46
FastAndFree
Contributor
Major

Re: "The Vanu are techno-religious nut jobs."

Originally Posted by Erendil View Post
Me like!

You got the Terrans' view of the other empires mixed up a bit tho.

Are you telling me that the official guidelines are incorrect? IS THAT WHAT YOU ARE TRYING TO TELL ME?
Commissar Drake, get this man out of my sight.

Originally Posted by Erendil View Post
Oh, and you should probably work in the words "sub-human" and/or "Neanderthal" into the VS perception of the NC....
I actually had "neanderthals" in the first version

Originally Posted by LordReaver View Post
The NC seek freedom. To others they create anarchy.
The TR seek stability. To others they create stagnation.
The VS seek religion. To others they create zealotry.

I think the keyword for the VS would be progress

Last edited by FastAndFree; 2011-09-29 at 02:35 AM.
Old 2011-09-29, 04:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
Graywolves
General

The Vanu are techno-religious nut-jobs.

Harness technologies of an ancient race they hardly understand. Fanatic at it to the point they defect from their empire.
Old 2011-09-29, 05:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Graywolves View Post
The Vanu are techno-religious nut-jobs.

Harness technologies of an ancient race they hardly understand. Fanatic at it to the point they defect from their empire.
You've got the "techno" and quite possibly the "nut-job", but you're missing kind of a critical element.
Old 2011-09-29, 06:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
Graywolves
General

Originally Posted by Talek Krell View Post
You've got the "techno" and quite possibly the "nut-job", but you're missing kind of a critical element.
I included fanatics.
Old 2011-09-29, 06:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

I included fanatics.
Yes, but you left out religious.
Old 2011-09-29, 06:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
Graywolves
General

Yes, but you left out religious.
Fine they're scientologists.

I'd imagine an empire based entirely on the technology of an ancient race would be religious about it.
Old 2011-09-29, 07:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

....In what way?

I'd imagine an empire based entirely on the technology of an ancient race would be religious about it.
Why? They're reverse engineering the stuff, not worshipping it. They clearly understand it pretty well, given that they're integrating the scientific principles with existing technology to create advanced war machines.
Old 2011-09-29, 07:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
Captain B
First Sergeant

Randy: What is it Stan?
Stan: Tom Cruise, John Travolta and the whole Vanu Sovereignty won't come out of the closet.

Old 2011-09-29, 07:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
Graywolves
General

....In what way?

Why? They're reverse engineering the stuff, not worshipping it. They clearly understand it pretty well, given that they're integrating the scientific principles with existing technology to create advanced war machines.
They betrayed their empire to form their own empire which they named after the ancient race. It's religious behavior.

Just because they don't call the Vanu gods doesn't make it below worship or religion.

They've gone a little more than pursuing scientific advances....
Old 2011-09-29, 07:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

They betrayed their empire to form their own empire which they named after the ancient race. It's religious behavior.
Just because they don't call the Vanu gods doesn't make it below worship or religion.
They've gone a little more than pursuing scientific advances....
They "betrayed" a totalitarian regime that was trying to suppress what was probably the single most important research opportunity humanity had ever encountered. The NC defected first chance they got, and they're fanatical about that "Freedom" and "Liberty" but I don't see anyone considering them religious.
This is as ridiculous as saying that all paleontologists are ancestor worshippers.
Old 2011-09-29, 08:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #56
Captain B
First Sergeant

They aren't all paleontologists (or more appropriately, archeologists), though. They're also seeking the Vanu as a rebirth and the "next step" in human progress. I'm sure you have the middle-of-the-road Vanu and scientists and such, just like NC has hippies and anarchists alongside profiteers and pirates, but much of Vanu's perspective lies in turning humanity into something else, or at least pursuing advancement through alien technology.

That is far different than studying a past to better understand it. No archeologist is suggesting we carve out longboats and resume piratical viking lifestyles. In effect, that is what the Vanu is doing - and killing anyone who tries to resist their plan or "final solution".
Old 2011-09-29, 08:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #57
Geist
Lieutenant Colonel

Gotta say, this thread is full of epic win. Keep it up.

Btw, I've always felt that the Empires go like this:

Terran Republic fight to bring peace and order to Auraxis, under the Iron Fist of their rule.

The New Conglomerate just wish for the ability to freely live their lives without the oversight of a government body watching their every action.

The Vanu Sovereignty see themselves as the future of humanity, a glorious combination of mankind and hyperadvanced technology.

The TR see the NC as anarchists and the VS as rogue technozealots who pay no heed to just how dangerous this technology may be.

The NC view the TR as a remnant of the oppressive regime they hoped to escape from through the wormhole and the VS as another faction just as oppressive under a different cause.

The VS view the TR as a government too afraid of progress, and the NC as a radical element that in the future may come to directly compete with their monopoly on technology.

At least, those are my personal opinions. No doubt the story will be a bit fleshed out come release.
"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

-Douglas Adams
Old 2011-09-29, 08:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #58
Captain B
First Sergeant

I really love the "pirate" aspect of NC. I hope in the future with the sandbox additions we'll be able to explore that through outfit customizations. YARR!!
Old 2011-09-29, 08:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #59
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Captain B View Post
They aren't all paleontologists (or more appropriately, archeologists), though.
I didn't say they were. I was pointing out that it was ridiculous to assume that a group of scientists would found a new religion just because they were researching alien technology.

Originally Posted by Captain B View Post
No archeologist is suggesting we carve out longboats and resume piratical viking lifestyles. In effect, that is what the Vanu is doing
I'd say there's a distinct difference between advocating a return to a dark age and insisting we should learn how all this incredibly advanced technology works so we can use it ourselves. Your assessment is largely on point though. I tend to believe that the VS are mostly fighting because the TR and NC won't leave them be but that was left up to interpretation. At least in PS1.
Old 2011-09-29, 08:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #60
Captain B
First Sergeant

PS1's fluff was pretty thin, but this time around I'm hearing stuff from T-Ray in interviews ("these guys over here are fighting and [VS] is trying to take over the universe") and even bits of fluff about NC's perspective that makes me think VS is going the "progress with us or be left in ashes behind us" route overall and not just as an extreme rarity within the empire (like NC's profiteers being the rarity compared to all the idealist freedom fighters/terrorists).
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion