AA has officially gone to far. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Obamarama!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-02-09, 01:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Hamma
PSU Admin

Post AA has officially gone to far.

First a disclaimer, I am primarily a flyer. Even my ground based outfit mates are starting to agree AA is starting to go over the line. Our air division is grounded most operations due to air - and you can't expect ground based infantry to take out ALL AA.

Anti Air has gone to a level in which air power is almost completely pointless. AA should be a dedicated role that requires teamwork and combined arms to master. It should not be something any tom dick or harry can do. Let's take a look at all the different forms of AA (Correct me if I've missed some)
  • Sunderer (2X AA Guns)
  • Prowler (and MBTs)
  • Lightning (Skyguard)
  • And all the aircraft (which isn't extremely bad)
  • Annhilators
  • All the various ground based lock-on systems.
  • AA MAX Units
  • Tower AA
The only ground based vehicle without AA so far is the Flash.

Why is this? The only things that should have AA are dedicated AA roles. The Skyguard, The MAX etc. Dumb fire of AA weapons should not insta kill Aircraft - it should be just as damaging as the lock on versions.

Rail on me all you want - but this is taking out of a LARGE segment of the game many people enjoy. Coordination and combined operations should be rewarded, undefended Sunderers and tank columns SHOULD be easily dispatched by aircraft.

Essentially the rash of AA being added ot the game is now making it fun for everyone on the ground and NOT fun for everyone in the air. There needs to be either A) More way to armor your aircaft or B) Remove AA from all the vehicles it doesn't belong on.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2013-02-09, 01:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
MrZero
Private

Re: AA has officially gone to far.

I agree i cant even dogfight without getting torn up by aa usually
Old 2013-02-09, 01:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
AnamNantom
Master Sergeant

I'm usually an infiltrator. That's what I do. I sneak in, hack, plant mines, leave mines for other infantry to "discover" as well as snipe you from half way across a mountain range, causing you to second guess ever leaving your spawn room.

That said, I love the magrider and seriously love the Scythe. I used to fly my beautiful Scythe a lot. Now I'm more hesitant than when I think of using my Magrider.

Once the battle gets to a certain point, there's no reason to even deploy one. If the enemy is harassing my friendly ground troops by air AND has all their anti air out (which is much easier now since there's so much of it), game's pretty much over as far as vehicular combat.

So, give me a new way of hacking, and more things to hack because it really seems we are all grounded.

Old 2013-02-09, 01:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Rolfski
Major

They recently increased composite armor for ESF's and did some nerfs to lock-ons as well. I suggest for this game to be played out a bit more before coming to any drastic conclusions about A2G balance.
Old 2013-02-09, 01:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Pella
Captain

Speaking from a Pilot with lvl 3 ESF composite armour. [800 Certs]AA is just a deterrent and isnt to much bother when you have it.

But agree being forced into using composite armour and Flares is a problem.

And the new Render distance changes are much better. As AA Maxs can be easy picking on a second run in.
Old 2013-02-09, 01:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

I spend most of my solo time in an ESF, and most of my outfit time on the ground shooting at them. They are the two tasks I truly enjoy in PS2. I am happy with the balance between them. I'm sorry that not everyone is.
Old 2013-02-09, 01:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
MaxDamage
Sergeant Major

Good pilots are still ridiculously hard to kill. Aircraft should not be flying over big battles without plenty of support, or troops on the ground to kill those people looking up constantly. A gal might even have use to that end.
Old 2013-02-09, 01:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

I was playing some last night and air was swarming us in large coordinated groups. And therein lies your solution. You have to use air like people use aa, in a group as a coordinated effort. I am glad that the game has evolved this direction.
Old 2013-02-09, 01:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Pella
Captain

Originally Posted by Sledgecrushr View Post
I was playing some last night and air was swarming us in large coordinated groups. And therein lies your solution. You have to use air like people use aa, in a group as a coordinated effort. I am glad that the game has evolved this direction.
Planetside 2 is Literally a Number game.
Old 2013-02-09, 01:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Hamma
PSU Admin

It's evolved in the direction where everyone can use AA? Not quite the direction I'd call "Evolution" more like "Let's give everyone AA weapons"

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2013-02-09, 01:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Mox
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

The only problem are the infantry lock on launchers and the aa base turrets. Everthing else is fine imo.
Old 2013-02-09, 01:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

Originally Posted by Pella View Post
Planetside 2 is Literally a Number game.
With up to 2k people on a map yeah in a lot of ways it is a numbers game. Even though we were able to get five dbm as aa we were swamped by air power. There was a point where our sundy was blown up and everyone was dead and there I was trading shots with enemy infantry and dodging lolpod attacks. It was a fine moment for fighting personally.
Old 2013-02-09, 01:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

I can SS a nice picture right now, near Vanu Archives.

7+ Reavers, 2 Galaxies, 5+ Liberators. And all with different outfit tags.

EDIT: Okay, they got the cap and all flew away...

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.

Last edited by NewSith; 2013-02-09 at 01:58 PM.
Old 2013-02-09, 02:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
First a disclaimer, I am primarily a flyer. Even my ground based outfit mates are starting to agree AA is starting to go over the line. Our air division is grounded most operations due to air - and you can't expect ground based infantry to take out ALL AA.

Anti Air has gone to a level in which air power is almost completely pointless. AA should be a dedicated role that requires teamwork and combined arms to master. It should not be something any tom dick or harry can do. Let's take a look at all the different forms of AA (Correct me if I've missed some)
  • Sunderer (2X AA Guns)
  • Prowler (and MBTs)
  • Lightning (Skyguard)
  • And all the aircraft (which isn't extremely bad)
  • Annhilators
  • All the various ground based lock-on systems.
  • AA MAX Units
  • Tower AA
The only ground based vehicle without AA so far is the Flash.

Why is this? The only things that should have AA are dedicated AA roles. The Skyguard, The MAX etc. Dumb fire of AA weapons should not insta kill Aircraft - it should be just as damaging as the lock on versions.

Rail on me all you want - but this is taking out of a LARGE segment of the game many people enjoy. Coordination and combined operations should be rewarded, undefended Sunderers and tank columns SHOULD be easily dispatched by aircraft.

Essentially the rash of AA being added ot the game is now making it fun for everyone on the ground and NOT fun for everyone in the air. There needs to be either A) More way to armor your aircaft or B) Remove AA from all the vehicles it doesn't belong on.

Wrong.

The game was NOT fun for infantry before. And it drove away most of the players.

Now the game is reasonable for infantry(and we still get killed by aircraft sometimes.) Hopefully people who left in disgust will return.

A better solution would have been to make aircraft terrible at killing infantry - but everyone complained about that suggestion so this is what you get.
The problem is the old way one or 2 aircraft could casually roam the map and kill everyone who wasnt in an organized large squad or zerg.
Thats not fun.
It should have been ESF - kill aircraft and some vehicles but not ground troops. And ground troops cant kill ESF.
It would have been more fun for everyone.

Last edited by Ghoest9; 2013-02-09 at 02:06 PM.
Old 2013-02-09, 02:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Rockit
Banned

I didn't even need to read any further than the title to say I agree. I know the general thrust lately has been infantry focused but I think they have swayed the fight far too much in that direction.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion