PlanetSide questions ... - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: It's Hamma time!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2005-02-17, 10:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Ginjarou
Private

PlanetSide questions ...

Hello there.

I used to play PlanetSide since its day of release in the UK till the end of Summer 03', so that was for about 3-4 months. I had to quit because I was leaving to go to a college outside where I live and don't have the internet there.

I am currently at University, but they don't allow online gaming in student halls
Though next year, me and 4 other mates are getting our own house and are gonna get a super high speed connection
I really want to introduce them all to PlanetSide because I feel it could be the best game for a group of mates to get started on.
We'd all join the same empire and then each of us would be able to drive/pilot/arm lots of different things so we'd have to depend on each other alot.

Is there any good way I can introduce them? I still have my copy of PlanetSide though would we all need Core Combat to play? And would they be able to install my copy of PS and then each get their own Core Combat?

Also has much else been added?
I left shortly after the liberator and skyguard were introduced. I heard there are these big ass robots too.

Is it possible now for outfits to take each other on in a kinda clan match environment? I'm sure I heard rumours of this after I quit.

I was thinking of playing it again during my easter holiday (when I go back home). If I bought myself a copy of Core Combat, could I just play for free for the first month? - First month is still free right? Cos i'm only gonna play for 2-3 weeks and then stop and start fresh and proper when my house mates join in.

lemme know what you think.
Cheers
Old 2005-02-17, 10:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
juggalokilla
Sergeant

the games a lot different now, its definately the most fun playing with your buddies on a lan. I have had 3 freinds at my house with me playing next to each other, soo much fun. We have platoons now, 3 squads in a group for better organizing. Avoid the bfr's (big Fu*^ing robots) unless your driving/gunning one or in a medeum tank with other armor, they are tough to take on at first. we have cert trees for getting "more for your money". like bfr's are7 certs but you also get ant, lightning, medeum tank, and bfr, good deal. Deliverer variants. Oshur died, replaced by 4 smaller battle islands which will soon restrict use of bfr's, medium tanks, and heavy assault weapons. New, very difficult to pick up on map. planets instead of continents. Broadcast warpgates where if you own a continent, you go into its warpgate and pick whick "planet" you go to if you have a link. Not sure if you was there when the lattice was created, basically linking bases together so you can only hack one that is "linked". Some bases are LLU. LLu's are an object you carry to your connected base when you hack a base instead of waiting 15 minutes. Thats all i can think of now as added content.

You have to buy a copy of the game for every account you open up. I tried to open my girlfreinds account by using my old roomates copy of planetside to open an account but it wont work. Every new account requires a new disk key. i also dont think core combat comes with a free 30 days so you'll prolly need a game card though your friends will get their 30 days from new copy of game the bfrs also have added a bit more to the game in stress on pc's since their release, many people get less frames per second than before. The outfits are a lot more organized than before. you might want to hold on joining one till you see how they work before blindly joining one. there is also a much steeper learning curve than before with all this new content and your buds will likely need your help with it or they might get discouraged. I've gotten a few freinds to try ps and they really needed help for the first few days.

I really hope this gives you some insight on whats to come. Good luck and hope to see ya in game some time

Old 2005-02-18, 02:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Ginjarou
Private

Wow, a lot has changed !
Surely if they all got their own copies of core combat then that'd be alright? or would they need their own copies of the original too ?
And can't they just download the free trial for 30 days? (well it's $10) isn't that the full game including core combat ?

I also noticed on the official site, that you can view the maps of only 3 servers. Have they cut it down to just 3 servers now ??

EDIT: I hope Werner still has a lot of activity

Last edited by Ginjarou; 2005-02-18 at 02:45 AM.
Old 2005-02-18, 10:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Hamorad
First Sergeant

Yep, only 3 servers now.
Old 2005-02-18, 11:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Ginjarou
Private

I guess there were quite a lot of servers in the first place, and I guess it's losing interest =(

I saw a REALLY good video which was a good 10 mins long showing off all the cool things in PlanetSide but it isn't on the official site and I dunno where to find it.
Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks
Old 2005-02-18, 05:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
juggalokilla
Sergeant

They have aftershock now wich features both PS and core combat, which here in ohio U.S. was only 20 bucks and has the 30 day trial. I recommend getting that one if you have access to it. Also has a lot of the more recent patches up to a few months ago which will save you some downloading time

Last edited by juggalokilla; 2005-02-18 at 05:07 PM. Reason: i spell like a tard
Old 2005-02-18, 08:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Ginjarou
Private

I heard that the BFR's really ruin this game =/
I really hope this isn't true. I hope this game isn't gonna turn into mechwarrior because ground combat is sooooo much better
Old 2005-02-19, 08:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Lartnev
Contributor
Brigadier General

BFRs are like Marmite: You either love them or you hate them. You'll have to find out on which side of the fence you fall on
Old 2005-02-19, 08:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Ginjarou
Private

Hmm, well I really hope it doesn't effect ground combat too much - because those big troop battles are by far the best
Old 2005-02-19, 09:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Hamorad
First Sergeant

Well, most of those infantry battles are gone. If you still want to fight infantry, i suggest the caves.
Old 2005-02-19, 01:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Ginjarou
Private

Originally Posted by Hamorad
Well, most of those infantry battles are gone. If you still want to fight infantry, i suggest the caves.
OMG !!!

I don't think I want to return to this game now
Old 2005-02-19, 02:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
drsomewhere
First Sergeant

yeah, almost every battle ends in BFR's Flight Varients camping doorways

= Crack addict
Old 2005-02-19, 03:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
GreyFlcn
Sergeant Major

Battle Islands
No BFRs, No Heavy Tanks, No Reavers, No Heavy Assault

Might want to check em out

(Won't come into effect till next Tuesday)
Old 2005-02-20, 09:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Ginjarou
Private

yeh the battle islands sound good.
Kinda wish those BFRs would rare to see though, it seems like this game could turn into MechWarrior quite easily =(
Old 2005-02-20, 12:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Lartnev
Contributor
Brigadier General

Fortunately it's not mechwarrior
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion