How many boomers should be allowed per person. - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Inbound enemy Trees!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-05-19, 01:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Soothsayer
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Re: How many boomers should be allowed per person.

I like the concept of limiting the max number of detpack explosive (whether the types we saw was a boomer or C4) based on the depth of specialization.

I'm still under the impression that C4 and boomer are two different things.

As a soldier generally, I'd say you should initially (without specialization into general soldier trees) be able to hold a small number of explosives, not enough to destroy a tank. With specialization into loadout efficiency or what have you the soldier would be able to carry additional C4, up to amounts that are in excess of what you would need to take out a tank.

Boomers on the other hand should be way more potent and limited to combat engineers.
Old 2012-05-19, 01:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

I was under the impression they only have mentioned C4. I thought C4 was pretty much replacing the boomer. Did they mention the boomer as we know it from PS1 making it into the game at all?
Old 2012-05-19, 01:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
captainkapautz
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Gonefshn View Post
I was under the impression they only have mentioned C4. I thought C4 was pretty much replacing the boomer. Did they mention the boomer as we know it from PS1 making it into the game at all?
Seems like people jumped to that conclusion after seeing the ACE, because ACE = Boomer in PS1 so gotta be in PS2 aswell, which could be true I guess, but kinda doubt it.

P.S.:
Originally Posted by Soothsayer View Post
detpack explosive
IT'S CALLED A DEMOCHARGE!

Last edited by captainkapautz; 2012-05-19 at 01:43 PM.
Old 2012-05-19, 01:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by captainkapautz View Post
Seems like people jumped to that conclusion after seeing the ACE, because ACE = Boomer in PS1 so gotta be in PS2 aswell, which could be true I guess, but kinda doubt it.
Yea, see I really thought the "boomer" of planetside 2 was the C4, not that there would be both.

I guess the only reason it might make sense to have both is because C4 can be thrown and a boomer is like a remote Mine meaning more damage but also more settup, not just run in and throw and boom.
Old 2012-05-19, 02:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
captainkapautz
First Lieutenant

Yea, see I really thought the "boomer" of planetside 2 was the C4, not that there would be both.

I guess the only reason it might make sense to have both is because C4 can be thrown and a boomer is like a remote Mine meaning more damage but also more settup, not just run in and throw and boom.
I gotta admit, I'd much rather have the ACE turn into a Boomer, the Boomer working like C4, i.e. actually sticking to vehicles, and only Engineers being able to use it, that way it'd be limited in that not every single guy packs 5 kgs of explosives AND you'd actually have to think before using it, because do I put down some mines, or maybe a turret would be better OR do I blown that goddamn barney in his overglorified Roomba with a gun skyhigh?

THAT, imo, would be, pardon the pun, bang on concerning balance.
Old 2012-05-19, 02:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Mechzz
Major

T-Ray hinted that the boomer would return in a tweet he made after C4 was revealed and we all went mental
Old 2012-05-19, 02:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
capiqu
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
People are going to buy the certs to carry them as a priority, no doubt.

They should cost resources and they should also take up space and/or displace the ability to carry something else, in order to discourage people from carrying them as standard procedure. We do not need a situation where 100% of infantry has them 100% of the time.

An interesting question arises. If these things cost resources, when are the resources charged? When you spawn with them or when you use them? If you have to spend resources just to spawn with these things, and this goes for grenades or anything else, dying will be quite expensive.
You mean I'm gonna have to dust off my old economics book?
Old 2012-05-19, 02:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
capiqu
Contributor
First Lieutenant

So if we get charged for resources by spawning with equipment instead of by the use of the equipment, Wouldn't outfits then kick out bad players that die too much in order to save outfit resources?
Old 2012-05-19, 02:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by capiqu View Post
So if we get charged for resources by spawning with equipment instead of by the use of the equipment, Wouldn't outfits then kick out bad players that die too much in order to save outfit resources?
Remember, I wasn't suggesting that it be this way, but instead, wondering if it will be this way. I could have SWORN I heard that grenades would cost resources though, so it's a very valid question.

And...we just don't know enough about resources yet. Do resources even apply on an outfit level or only on a personal and empire-wide level?

But if they DO apply on an outfit level in some way, I can indeed imagine people getting the boot for wastefulness.
Old 2012-05-19, 02:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
captainkapautz
First Lieutenant

Man, and here I thought the resource to equipment system would be like "Pay 50 dirt, 10 mud and 3 stones to unlock the use of C4"

Not at all a fan of having to pay continuously for the use of rather standard equipment, because that leads to the rich getting richer and the poor getting curbstomped.

Still think making Boomer/C4/satchel/detpack/democharge/thegoddamnexplosivewithtomanynames Engineer-only would pretty much fix the issue that people seem to have with it atm.

Last edited by captainkapautz; 2012-05-19 at 02:40 PM.
Old 2012-05-19, 03:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

Man, and here I thought the resource to equipment system would be like "Pay 50 dirt, 10 mud and 3 stones to unlock the use of C4"

Not at all a fan of having to pay continuously for the use of rather standard equipment, because that leads to the rich getting richer and the poor getting curbstomped.

Still think making Boomer/C4/satchel/detpack/democharge/thegoddamnexplosivewithtomanynames Engineer-only would pretty much fix the issue that people seem to have with it atm.
This would be a problem except you gain resources based on your empires held territory not your own performance. I'm sure you wont have many issues being able to get the gear you want
Old 2012-05-19, 03:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Block
Private

The old system worked well enough didn't it..or did it? (been a long time)...load up what you want but you have limited space to do so.

Load up with pure boomerage if you like but at the cost of not being able to load up on more versitile/other weaponry..or am I missing the point/something?
Old 2012-05-19, 03:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Mechzz
Major

There are 3 resources in the game. 1, Auraxium is used to pay for unlocks in the cash shop. The other 2 determine which vehicles/equipment you can use when spawning. The rate at which you earn them depends on which regions you hold on the map.

Interesting you mention "the rich get richer". Malorn had a big thread on this a while back. Once the CL final is over I may look it out :-)
Old 2012-05-19, 03:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Block
Private

Do we know if there is an inventory system or not? (i've not been following as close as some)

However if I pay 50 dirt - 10 mud - 3 stones to use the boomers...should I be able to fill my boots with boomerage if I so desire?
Old 2012-05-19, 03:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Pyreal
First Sergeant

C4? Shouldn't it be like F5 by now?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion