A Better Command Structure - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Shazbot
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2004-02-25, 05:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
BadAsh
First Lieutenant

A Better Command Structure

Ok, this idea is a little complicated and would need to be fleshed out more to make it feasible in the game but I think it would be a step in the right direction and add some very cool elements to game play. All I ask is that you hear me out before you flame cuz I know my next paragraph will make blood boil.

The first thing I�d change is that I�d remove the EMP Blast and Orbital Strike capability of high CR ranked players. These do not help leading troops, or issuing commands, or help with organizing an attack force in any way. These are simply tools used to �Rambo� by single-handedly clearing mine fields or taking out AMS units. More often then not the OS is used to rack up the kill count of the CR4 or CR5 using it. How many times have you seen an OS hit the CY of a completely overrun base after the defenders have long fled the battle? This is done simply to waste a bunch of people hanging out waiting for the capture BEP or CEP. Why not use this earlier to try and protect the base? Because you won�t kill as many and have a pretty screen shot to brag about. Fun? Yes, to be sure. But, what does that have to do with command ability or leadership capabilities?

So I�m thinking what if you just ditch the Rambo abilities and add abilities that actually help with leadership, organization, and fun for everyone and not just the elite few CR5�s?

Here is what I�ve come up with:

FOR THE COMMANDERS:

Have a special War Room Bunker that is built deep underground below the bases (perhaps capitol base when those come out?) that only CR4�s or CR5�s can enter. To enter you simply deconstruct at that bases spawn tubes and then you will have an option to respawn at the normal local spawn points or the War Room Bunker. Once in the bunker you will see a large room with maps, war tables, and special terminals located throughout the room. In here modified sanctuary rules apply in that weapons can�t be used and the enemy can not enter this area. If the base above the war room is hacked the commanders in the bunker are instantly dumped into the spawn tubes of that base or the next closest spawn tubes if those are destroyed. If the base is resecured the commanders can again enter the war room bunker. If the enemy takes control of the base then they now own the bunker and can use it for themselves.

This gives the commanders a safe place to issue commands and lead troops without being pestered by enemy forces. They would share BEP and CEP if in a squad as normal.

The Command Terminals:

Assault Terminal (offense): Allows the placement of Continental Way Points a Commander can use this terminal to set Global Way Points on the continent than everyone in the empire can see regardless of outfit, platoon, squad, or solo status. This will help accentuate �Defend this base�, �Get this Generator up�, etc. Only once set of 4-6 of these CWP (continental way points) can be set. So commanders will have to decide where they should be and have one person set them or take turns moving them as needed etc. To help give players incentive to actually obey the commanders and their orders there could be a mild BEP and CEP reward for engaging enemy forces within a certain radius from the CWP. This would give a reward for those who help with the battle plan. Players would get their experience bonus and commanders would actually be obeyed and see their plans in action.

Security Terminal (defense): Accessing this terminal would display a detailed Base Map (showing all levels in one view) with enhanced warning indications for door breechings (CC, Gen, Back Door, Spawn Room). All enemy troops would show as red dots on this map and friendly troops would show as green dots. Friendly SLs would show as blue dots. So that at a glance a commander could see how many troops he has and where they are and who the SLs are. He would then have a special chat function that would issue out /l chats to that base�s SOI in a special orange color to denote they are from the local base �Security Commander�. A good commander would crush enemy opposition by having the ability to direct troops exactly where needed. He would have the ability to place �hot spots� on the base map that players see on their mini-map. These would shot as red flashing spots with a little radiation effect to show where the commander wants defensive lined drawn or to expose an enemy incursion.

The Player Interface and New Maps

I�d ditch all of the automatic reporting the maps do such troop warnings and hot spot indications and instead make this a simple manual system of reporting. I�d make the interface similar to how the voice chats in that you have a series of hot keys to navigate multiple choice menu options. So if you press 1 key the menu pops up and the second key stroke sends the report for things like: Enemy Armor, Enemy Troops, Enemy Air, Enemy AMS, Enemy Loadstar, etc. Making these reports would have a quick built in �reality check� the game would to just to verify that enemy troops are indeed in the area. This would prevent some goober from spamming false reports. Thus players could report and update the map that everyone sees rather then it being automated. I�d give a mild CEP reward for SLs who report enemy movements as that should be part of their job. Anyone else can report but they get no reward past the recognition. Making a �report� would put an icon on the map to indicate armor, air, troops, or whatever and it would stay there until the enemy force is dealt with or moves on. This part would be automated to simplify things for players.

Flames? Flames? Or Flames?
Old 2004-02-25, 05:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
TheN00b
Colonel

This actually isn't such a bad idea. One thing, though; make the /ignore function also have the additional attribute of turning of the /ignored player's Command Waypoints. I sure don't want the continent I'm on to have it's map spammed by a bunch of random assholes .
Old 2004-02-25, 05:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
BadAsh
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by TheN00b
This actually isn't such a bad idea. One thing, though; make the /ignore function also have the additional attribute of turning of the /ignored player's Command Waypoints. I sure don't want the continent I'm on to have it's map spammed by a bunch of random assholes .
Well, my thoughts were to only have one set of 4-6 (I'm thinking 4) of these command way points for the entire continent. So each commander would not be able to place a set. They would have to decide where they should go and set them up. Anyone on the bunker or a bunker could move them, but that's a problem for the commanders to deal with. if they organize it could be pretty powerful. Finally, I'd make these alpha (a, b, c, etc.) rather then numeric to help avoid confusion... so when your SL says go to WP 1 you'll know what he means
Old 2004-02-25, 05:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
gonnagetyou
First Lieutenant

Excellent ideas! The whole war room idea just sounds perfect. It gives commanders a secure place to hang while they issue orders and it gives them a broader range of controls to work with. We'd have to flesh out some limits so it couldn't be abused, but overall, you got some great ideas there.
Old 2004-02-25, 05:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by BadAsh
The first thing I�d change is that I�d remove the EMP Blast and Orbital Strike capability of high CR ranked players.
I think that this would not be nessary to take away as it could be very helpfull to troops.

Have a special War Room Bunker that is built deep underground below the bases (perhaps capitol base when those come out?) that only CR4�s or CR5�s can enter.
I think that this would be a very good idea.

To enter you simply deconstruct at that bases spawn tubes and then you will have an option to respawn at the normal local spawn points or the War Room Bunker.
I think it should be a room that you just walk into only the IFF on the door only lets in CR4s and CR5s

the enemy can not enter this area.
I think that the enemy should be able to enter this area only the area should be really underground like a whole new level down and should have really tall doors like castles used to that are really strong and the IFF could not be hacked by enemies (this has to be put to make sense though I have not thought of how to yet) and they would have to break the doors down which will be stronger than a generator. Maybe 4 to 6 times stronger then a genrator

I would also like to see something like this for squads.
Old 2004-02-25, 05:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
TheN00b
Colonel

Yes, I know you said 4-6 WPs would be the maximum... for one Commander . But is only one of the Commanders in Planetside retarded/a prick?
Old 2004-02-25, 06:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
JumpDog
Private

-ur damned crazy if ur thinking of ditching OS & EMP
-i really like the idea od the war room & the like
-i've been cr5 for a HELLA LONG TIME... and I know... u cant make them cooperate, much less lead a whole battle, not together t least. many just straight out ignore command chat and just get up there for the big OS

-also, i think the CWPs are ok... but not gtting extra xp for geting to where a commander sets a wp - neither more cep for commanders. i know how this thing works... u cant instantly become a good leader at cr5. the community of players online decide who they follow. there are few cr5s that lead, and even fewer that are actually respected, and remembered longer than taht one battle. on markov nc.. i myself am one of those few commanders. if ur gonnna get the armies fighting to follow your leadership, u have to do it often and earn their trust & respect.

I'll be damned if some rookie cr4/5 starts getting renown simply by putting down wps and saying small things... he'd damn well work like the rest of us "good cr5s" do and earn the ppl to follow his orders. as i am one of those fe commanders that the players follow and remember... i wont stand for someone else having the same imply by using a damned terminal.
NC , Markov

My PS Dog Tags!
Old 2004-02-25, 06:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
SealDude
Private

I have an idea very similar to this coming out soon so dont say I copied you. But good idea!
Old 2004-02-25, 06:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
BadAsh
First Lieutenant

Yes, I know you said 4-6 WPs would be the maximum... for one Commander . But is only one of the Commanders in Planetside retarded/a prick?
Good point... I'm still working on a command voting system where the Cr4's and Cr5's can vote in a temporary "General" for the continental struggle... he would remain General until voted down, steps down, or he leaves the continent/game...

There would have to be a way to start a vote and actually vote for a general and then have a system for removing the general if he becomes an ass or goes AFK. Aslo, if he exits the game or leaves the continent he would automatically be removed from office.

Alerts to the commanders would go out letting them know who the General is and if he leaves or is voted out or steps down.

Currently there is a rudimentary form of this going on anyway. Usually I only see 1 or 2 guys using global chat to direct the battle. Usually it�s one guy directing and another guy helping and encouraging troops to follow. If you could have a temporary designated leader then you would have better organization with one boss and all other commanders being like sub-commanders and advisors. I don�t think it would take long to realize who the jerks are and who the good leaders are� just like how it works now... by name I know what CR5 to help out by obeying and what CR5 to TK... hehe

Like I said, this whole thing would take some work, but I think it's do-able and definitely worth while.

I'm imagining a final version where commanders take control zones and direct their troops from a war room as they are gathered around a continantal map... kinda like actual military leaders...

But for this to work leaders need incentive to lead properly and it has to be FUN... and the troops need incentive to follow orders... and doing so needs to be rewarding, fun, and cool as hell...

I wanna see coordinated, special ops, air assaults, armor pushes, etc facing coordinated defensive positions...
Old 2004-02-25, 07:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
TheN00b
Colonel

JumpDog, you are exactly the kind of CR5 that I would never want to have special abilities, much less be on PSU at all . You seem to be the guy who, rather than use intelligence and tactics to coordinate a large zerg, would rather sit back and say 'TK Blackwidow, I don' like 'im *in a pouting tone*'. However, this system would be worthwhile for commanders with initiative .

EDIT: I didn't actyally believe that there could be retarded old veterans in a video game until I met you . You refuse to have any of your special abilities taken away from you, and you seem to have garnered the ridiculous idea that seniority equals intelligence and respect. If a new CR5 has tactical savvy and people skills, then he should be recognized as such!

Last edited by TheN00b; 2004-02-25 at 07:07 PM.
Old 2004-02-25, 07:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
JumpDog
Private

I don�t think it would take long to realize who the jerks are and who the good leaders are� just like how it works now... by name I know what CR5 to help out by obeying and what CR5 to TK... hehe
I wanna see coordinated, special ops, air assaults, armor pushes, etc facing coordinated defensive positions...

1) It's never taken long for the public to realize the difference. I remember once a select few CR5s (who's name I will not mention), started a global curse-fight. I dont think they were ever followed after that. Of course, two of the three dont play anymore. So everyone pretty much instantly knew they had no leadership qualities. If a commander even TRIES to lead a battle on a continent, that's a start and people will like him/her for it.

2) When I lead, I really try and get those to happen. About 40% of the time most of the people cooperate, and it's pulled off nicely. Other times, only some ppl do it. When it does go thru, it proves effective, and fun too. So I do get coordinated attacks going. The ONLY problem is: The enemy doesnt have a coordinated defense when I get there!
NC , Markov

My PS Dog Tags!
Old 2004-02-25, 07:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
JumpDog
Private

JumpDog, you are exactly the kind of CR5 that I would never want to have special abilities, much less be on PSU at all . You seem to be the guy who, rather than use intelligence and tactics to coordinate a large zerg, would rather sit back and say 'TK Blackwidow,
As for what TheNOOB said... I dont think you've ever played with me dude. It sez ur NC on EMERALD... I'm NC on MARKOV! There may possibly be someone with my name on Emerald, I dont know - but it isnt me. And no... I have NEVER said anything to the likes of "tk that person" on a continent-wide channel. I rarely ever even mention names of cont-wide channel, unless I am trying to organize an ANT run, like I'd give the name of a gal pilot to be contacted who is willing to fly it in.

So please keep your comments to yourself unless you truly know how I act. I do not "sit back and coordinate a large zerg", I'm always on the front lines leading while I fight. And I rarely ever use the OS. I admit when I was cr4, I'd use it every chance I got just cuz it was new, but now... It's rare to see me using it at all - only against an AMS or other target or strategic value to the enemy. I am fine with limiting the value, or creating a system where you could only use it against strategic targets... but not fully deleting that ability.
you seem to have garnered the ridiculous idea that seniority equals intelligence and respect. If a new CR5 has tactical savvy and people skills, then he should be recognized as such!
I said nothing of seniority. I said I was a CR5 for a long time, didnt say u had to be a cr5 for a long time to have ppl follow you. Not many do, ur either the kind that tries to lead, or uses CR5 for the abilities only. I respect all new commanders and try and help them lead any way I can. I agree with you that if they have leadership traits that they should be recognized as that, but what I said is that it isnt "instant" at cr5. Many do not even try to lead at CR5... but I encourage that they do.

Once again, please dont post negatively about people that you dont know.
NC , Markov

My PS Dog Tags!
Old 2004-02-25, 07:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Cauldron Borne
Captain

I like, very solid Ideas. I think it would put a better game play into PS

SPAM SONG! (Yes, it DOES exist kiddies.)
Old 2004-02-25, 07:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
SealDude
Private

Thank you! This is what I was talking about with my tactical post. A system that encoureges (sp?) working togehter and planning without making it too boring or complicated.
Old 2004-02-25, 07:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Marsman
Major

Good ideas. Have had similar ones myself. Was always a little disappointed in the command side of the game - as with the ideas expressed here, it could be so much more! This is a tad off topic, but I have always felt Sanc's role should include a "Global Situation" room like the warroom, but for displaying the recent trend of the war. We have the playback over time display in MyPS - why don't have such a nice resource as this in Sanc as well? For a place where the war is staged from, Sanc seems strangly empty of this type of thing. Recent orders, request for troops and equipment, etc... are things one would expect to have available to you at home base. Seems to me it would make it a hell of a lot easier for the newbie to understand where the fronts are and what resources are needed there, if these sort of things were available in Sanc. I think they need to emphisis the strong points of the game. This is a perpertual world and the player should have the latest up to the minute situation report available when they enter the game. If the command abilities increase, the player need for clear information and abilities increases with it. We really can't do one without the other.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion