Lets talk about the ressource system. Right now, its borderline Pay to Win - Page 8 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: 4 out of 5 dentists agree, the 5th guy really should relax.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2013-06-25, 02:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #106
kubacheski
Staff Sergeant

Question Re: Lets talk about the ressource system. Right now, its borderline Pay to Win

Originally Posted by diLLa View Post
I wouldn't say it's pay to win. It might be on an individual level, but in this game the win condition is faction-wide. Assuming that the amount of subs on all the 3 factions is pretty much even, then it's balanced out, making it not pay to win.
In its current state, PS2 has hardly more than a individual contributor focus. The very concept of `winning` is foreign to the planetside concept. It is an endless struggle. There is no win condition. So the argument of the number of faction wide subs is illogical. Appreciation of the `bigger picture` metagame instrumentation is a wonderful concept but its not in PS2 now. The balance of the 3 empires should be so level and the gross amount of area to occupy should be so expansive that the ability of any one faction to cover all of the known universe without meeting resistance is impossible. Thusly noone should ever be able to win. But PS2 does not have this balance and does not have the necessary landmass and accompanied interconnectivity to promote the eternal struggle. Relative to its predecessor, it is an infant with a bitchin` wardrobe. (It looks good, but exhibits no maturity)

Last edited by kubacheski; 2013-06-25 at 02:21 AM.
Old 2013-06-25, 04:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #107
SternLX
Sergeant

Re: Lets talk about the ressource system. Right now, its borderline Pay to Win

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
Not going to comment on boosts, sorry.

What do you think of infantry, ground, and air all using the same resource?
In all honesty? I preferred the Beta way. You only earned Aurxium then you the player decided what resource to convert the Aurxium too. For example as of late I mainly like to Fly CAP in a A2A roll so I am quite often in an ESF trying to shoot down others. This newest change if your faction doesn't hold a lot of territory that makes Air will find yourself quickly out of Air resources(750 will buy you 3 ESF's). I found myself in this situation 2 days ago. Completely ran out of Air Resource and in need of more. I wished had the ability to convert the other resource types to the one I needed because they were full. I had no other desire than to Fly CAP so I hopped around through the WG's until it was full again.

Oh for those not in the know. Your resource timer is not global. It is on a per continent basis. If you space your trips to the other continents evenly you will have time to bounce to each WG and collect resources from all 3 continents. Cuts down time a bit if you are in need of a specific resource.
Old 2013-06-25, 04:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #108
torokf
Corporal

Not going to comment on boosts, sorry.

What do you think of infantry, ground, and air all using the same resource?
:O
I guess it would work, but i'd love to see a different way in how you gain resources, like specific tasks to do in order to gather Supplies, rather than every territory granting a certain value, the idea itself is really tempting and promising.

I haven't played Planetside 1 and so I don't even know what i'm talking about but is the whole Mechanic ANT/NTU Silo is on the horizon/minds of developers or we'll never see anything like that? just asking because i've never heard any statement on this question (i might have missed it)
Because if planetside 2 is to be driven by the players then it would be awesome to see people actively transporting resources from mines to facilities and outposts for everyone to use, gw2 caravan-style

Last edited by torokf; 2013-06-25 at 05:02 AM.
Old 2013-06-25, 07:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #109
Crator
Major General

Originally Posted by SternLX View Post
Oh for those not in the know. Your resource timer is not global. It is on a per continent basis. If you space your trips to the other continents evenly you will have time to bounce to each WG and collect resources from all 3 continents. Cuts down time a bit if you are in need of a specific resource.
Interesting, I did not know this. When does the resource timer start for each continent? When you first enter the continent or something?
Old 2013-06-27, 12:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #110
Qwan
Captain

I see a lot of post on resources and how they need to be regulated, either they need to come faster, made cheaper, or slowed down. Guys we can’t forget this is a F2P game . Once you peel back the free account creation, free download, 1 to 30 certs for reflex sights and stuff. And all the things that make up PS2, there is no such thing as F2P. It’s kind of like a crack addiction, they give you a taste, cool reflex sight, a cool zoom for your weapon, a faster reload, and after that first taste you want more. But they also know you need to make certs faster, and this is where they get you, the same is said for resources to get that tank or max faster. The boost gentlemen, they charge only SC for the boost. So let’s say you get the boost, its 50%, now you’re really fending for more, so you get the sub, which is another 50% xp and resource boost. Then the certs are coming in and so are the resources. O and by the way all this cost money, for the boost, and the sub, now you need that cool weapons to get more kills, but you don’t want to use your certs, you need those for side grades, so you get more SC, 5 here, 10, there. For you crack heads this starting to sound familiar . When they announced the F2P concept I knew it was bull shit, . But I’m cool with it, I really don’t mind, I spend maybe 30 bucks a month since the release, that’s a sub and maybe another 15 on SC, its slowed down a lot though, I’m not big into cosmetics and stuff, and most weapons and stuff I can get with Certs cause I’m get 100% from my sub and a 7 day boost which I get every Saturday. So for you guys who thought I can play for free and never pay a dime, I’ll just certs my way to awesomeness, SOE is making sure that you have to spend a little cash if you want to truly get ahead in the game.

Your friendly neighborhood crack head
Qwan
Old 2013-06-27, 12:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #111
Mongoose
Private

How I read this:

Just gonna leave this here...
Old 2013-06-27, 01:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #112
GeoGnome
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
How I read this:

Just gonna leave this here...
Yeah... that is kind of how Malorn's comment came across... Can we get an official comment from someone not trying to be a flippant troll?
Old 2013-06-27, 05:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #113
blashyrk
Corporal

The new resource system even further favours and helps the overpopulated faction. It has brought absolutely ZERO good on servers like Miller where TR win most alerts by having 40%+ population advantage and spamming tanks, libbies, and ESFs everywhere.
Ironically though, they lost an alert today during prime time when the pop got a bit more balanced.
Old 2013-06-27, 06:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #114
camycamera
Major

i think a temporary fix that should be put in place maybe would be raise the cap on amount of resources from 750 to 1000. just sayin'.
Old 2013-06-27, 09:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #115
SternLX
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Crator View Post
Interesting, I did not know this. When does the resource timer start for each continent? When you first enter the continent or something?
Yes, timer starts when you first enter the continent. Starts at 5 mins and counts down.
Old 2013-06-28, 03:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #116
Obstruction
First Sergeant

well i'll put it this way for feedback, since that guy is reading the thread.

i don't "spam" vehicles, but being in one is all i care to do. i have a set partner that is my gunner, and i either fly a lib or drive a harasser, because being a vehicle team is what we enjoy about planetside 2.

other than making infantry classes playable (engi tool, medic tool, JJ all maxed) most of our certs go to our vehicles. we've both invested thousands into each one. if the resource change forces us to quit for extended lengths of time we will probably move on to another game.

this isn't some sort of boycott threat or anything, just feedback. what makes planetside 2 the best game out right now, for me, is that there is crew based vehicle PvP in an environment with combined arms.

in short, whatever changes are made, you cannot let infantry bitch and moan until vehicles are watered down to the point of uselessness. infantry are made to be fodder for vehicles whether they like it or not. large groups of them can easily take any vehicle with the many, many tools they have available, and they do not pay resources for their respawns.

maybe that would get them to clam up though. so lets consider that an option. 100 infantry resource to respawn outside of warpgate. otherwise sit around and wait for a medic. many MMOs have much harsher penalties for death than that, and that sort of downtime is precisely what is being pushed onto full time vehicle users.

then maybe they can "learn to be a bit more careful" with their chosen way to play, or at least be a little more considerate to people who really only like to fly, tank, or MAX full time.

Last edited by Obstruction; 2013-06-28 at 04:05 PM.
Old 2013-06-28, 03:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #117
Dragonskin
Major

Originally Posted by Obstruction View Post
maybe that would get them to clam up though. so lets consider that an option. 100 infantry resource to respawn. otherwise sit around and wait for a medic. many MMOs have much harsher penalties for death than that, and that sort of downtime is precisely what is being pushed onto full time vehicle users.

then maybe they can "learn to be a bit more careful" with their chosen way to play, or at least be a little more considerate to people who really only like to fly, tank, or MAX full time.
You can't make spawning as infantry cost resources because you have to be infantry to use vehicles. You would be forcing people to have downtime period.. which would be a lot longer for players that choose to be pure infantry.
Old 2013-06-28, 04:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #118
Obstruction
First Sergeant

i edited it to be more clear. warpgate spawns should always be free.

i'm not exactly serious about that proposal, but i'm making it to make a point.

point: that people who only play infantry or just use vehicles as disposable spam to move from point A to point B, fire some shots, and then go back to ground (i call it spam and slam,) don't consider vehicle players because they don't have downtime issues themselves.

my tongue in cheek suggestion is to make them think a little more about what sweeping changes to the resource system mean to other players, and to put it into perspective as if the same rules applied to infantry.

also to be fair, i and many other full time vehicle players don't always run into downtime issues either. we usually pick our fights, fly or drive defensively, repair and maintain vehicles and ammo count, and very, very often move and fight in groups of combined arms.

but i'm trying to speak for more than just myself. and i'm trying to put my feedback in ahead of changes that may go too far based on feedback from people to whom they really don't apply.

hope that made it more clear. thanks for pointing that out though. i saw it almost immediately after the post.

Last edited by Obstruction; 2013-06-28 at 04:25 PM.
Old 2013-06-28, 08:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #119
Crator
Major General

Originally Posted by Obstruction View Post
infantry are made to be fodder for vehicles whether they like it or not.
I get what you are saying in the rest of your post, and agree that it is wrong to restrict you from being able to play your chosen play style that you've certed in. But the statement I quoted above is not correct. Infantry isn't in-game to be fodder for vehicles. It does happen, yes. But it's not very fair fight when it does. Vehicles are really meant to fight other vehicles. Currently, there's way too many ways for vehicles to affect infantry fights. Hopefully the dome shields on bases will help with this issue though.
Old 2013-06-29, 06:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #120
Obstruction
First Sergeant

so in a war, a guy standing in an open field shouldn't be able to get killed by a vehicle?

if you are caught out in the open on foot you should fear everything that isn't cover.

infantry have a vast array of AV options, not the least of which is strength in numbers.

i guess we'll see about the domes but i have a feeling it's going to devolve into Call of Duty dome or go home, where endless stalemates occur where they can and the rest of the time people leave for the next one or log out/swap faction.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion