News: Jimmy Whisenhunt Joins PlanetSide 2 Team - Page 15 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Hamma > All
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-23, 11:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #211
TheRandomAmiba
Corporal

Re: Jimmy Whisenhunt Joins PlanetSide 2 Team

Originally Posted by whisenhunt View Post
Hi!

I did play Quake III competitively but ended up sticking with CS over the years, I still play quake live to this day.

I played TFC before steam was released also, TF2 is just goofy fun with friends of mine that play it quite a bit.

Feel free to listen to my podcasts that include my feelings about FPS gamestyles and models =D

I might have to do a PlanetSide AMA on reddit to go through a lot of these questions and stuff.
wow.... with your admin powers can i have rainbow righting? please
Old 2012-06-23, 11:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #212
zomg
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Gonefshn View Post
Maybe I will be crucified for saying this but Planetside was always in ways a "casual" FPS.

Before you freak what I mean is the actual gunplay and shooting itself. The game was IMMENSE and far from casual in the meta game. You had a lot of options to run away, find cover, heal up and rejoin the fight. It was never a game where you could make one simple mistake and die. Yes, skill was there but it had a huge cushion of risk/reward making the gunplay much more casual and random. Hell, even the COF system made bullets fly in random directions so how unprecise can you get.

What made Planetside 1 competitive and not casual was not the gunplay it was the meta game. I played because I felt like I was part of a war machine, not because of solid shooter mechanics and twitchy I own you gamplay.
I am beyond stoked to see Planetside 2 tighten up the gunplay and make it a little more skill based and precise but I hope they don't lose sight of the main vision of PS1.

I hope this new guy understands that the main competition of this game is about the Meta game and the strategy of warfare, not necessarily the one on one moment to moment exchange of bullets.

Don't make this a game where pro FPS players can lone wolf and be "Just so good" at the gunplay that they can fly solo and defeat people who put in the time to organize and use tactics. THE META GAME MAKES PLANETSIDE COMPETITIVE. Remember that.
I think you hit it quite nicely there. I think that that albeit having inaccurate guns or such, there is still skill in the manner that you still have a lot of options and a player with more time put in knows what to do in each situation and thus has better chances of winning.

It may not be attractive to "pure" FPS players as much, but nevertheless.

I agree that even if the gunplay is improved it will be good to keep cooperative play nicely balanced. Although a pro in a light assault will be able to beat a beginner in a MAX by utilizing the speed and jetpacks of the light, the fact that each class is still specialized and does not look to be very good in all situations means that no single player can be overpowering to a team.
Old 2012-06-23, 11:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #213
Biohazard
Master Sergeant

Welcome to the community; and no, this is not the first we've seen him.

Remember this?
http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...ad.php?t=39676

I am happy to see that the dev team is looking to many the sources to improve planetside2. On the subject of sound; distinctive, realistic, and satisfying don't have to be exclusive. Battlefield 3's sound's are wonderful, probably the best thing that they did. Just look at some of the sound comparison videos on youtube, like this one.
Old 2012-06-23, 11:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #214
Shogun
Contributor
General

welcome to the community, whisenhunt! and congratulations on becoming part of the best dev team out there!

Thanks! Excited to see passion in the community, I hope in the next weeks to get more out concerning what I do and my feelings on game mechanics =)

We have a lot in common (myself and this community) it seems when it comes down to game play decisions and passion.

PS: The reason I started my podcasts and shows is to promote change against the watered down systems we have in most modern day FPS.
this sounds awesome!
as you have noticed, we are very passionate about the game and its potential. and it is great the devs have hired someone who truely understands the problems of modern fps games!
planetside 2 can be so much more than the average fps title! and it has to be more! because it will take years or decades until someone else might take another approach, and we had enough of uninspired copycat casual shooters.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2012-06-23, 11:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #215
Zar
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Pella View Post
Best thing that has happens to PS2. Someone with a awesome track record of FPSs. Hopefully now he will be driving the E-sports side of it for PS2.
>.< there will be no E sport's in ps2 sorry to burst your bubble xD far to open for that silly type of cookie cutter game play =3
Old 2012-06-23, 11:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #216
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Zar View Post
>.< there will be no E sport's in ps2 sorry to burst your bubble xD far to open for that silly type of cookie cutter game play =3
I wouldn't be surprised if they allow 8 vs 8 arena play. WW2 Online has done something similar, I believe they allow 64 player round-based play.

I can already imagine people claiming that this will take players away from the main combats, too.

The biggest question is, if they ever had these 8 v 8 rounds, would they be on SOE servers or would players rent and administer them like other games?
Old 2012-06-23, 11:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #217
zomg
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Zar View Post
Spoken like someone who knows what he's talking about
Old 2012-06-23, 11:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #218
Masterr
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Biohazard View Post
Welcome to the community; and no, this is not the first we've seen him.

Remember this?
http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...ad.php?t=39676

I am happy to see that the dev team is looking to many the sources to improve planetside2. On the subject of sound; distinctive, realistic, and satisfying don't have to be exclusive. Battlefield 3's sound's are wonderful, probably the best thing that they did. Just look at some of the sound comparison videos on youtube, like this one.
Battlefield 3 gun sounds vs Modern Warfare 3 - YouTube
Them BF3 sounds are awesome. MW3 is SO muffled.
Old 2012-06-23, 11:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #219
Marsgrim
Sergeant

Hi!

I did play Quake III competitively but ended up sticking with CS over the years, I still play quake live to this day.

I played TFC before steam was released also, TF2 is just goofy fun with friends of mine that play it quite a bit.

Feel free to listen to my podcasts that include my feelings about FPS gamestyles and models =D

I might have to do a PlanetSide AMA on reddit to go through a lot of these questions and stuff.
Good to see, who'd you play TFC with? I always thought it was a much better HLTV game than CS - I can't for the life of me understand why CAL went with CS when TFC had a much bigger following but much more tactical and team orientated play.
Old 2012-06-23, 11:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #220
MCYRook
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by bigcracker View Post
most of everyone here is biased to PS1 and can't accept change and even when they tried to have a new motto for ps2 we had 10 page whine thread about how ps1 motto is better, this community is more like CS 1.6 fanboys then it wants to admit.
It's funny because it's true.
Old 2012-06-23, 12:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #221
WNxArachnophili
Private

I think this is cool. What other industry or world would a guy get scouted and hired to a major design studio based on virtual street cred. Not to downplay your credentials or qualifications but who else can say "Hey ma! I'm moving! I just got a sweet job because of my video games."

This community is so fun. Even the haters are sooooo entertaining. For everyone who loves the original and is fretting over what 'they' are going to do to your game I have one very comforting quote.

[quote = "Higby"]We know what game we are making.[/quote]

His team has a shared vision. Like a master artist they see the shape of the sculpture in the rock and chip away at anything that doesn't belong. They will listen to ideas from every quarter but they will not add anything that does not belong to the game they are making. I can hear this every time anyone of them speaks.

So take comfort that this team saw something in this new guy that this game needs.

- phil
Old 2012-06-23, 12:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #222
zomg
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by WNxArachnophili View Post
I think this is cool. What other industry or world would a guy get scouted and hired to a major design studio based on virtual street cred. Not to downplay your credentials or qualifications but who else can say "Hey ma! I'm moving! I just got a sweet job because of my video games."
Programmers get that too. Although I'm not employed by anything "major" right now, I have been at Nokia and was approached by a Facebook recruiter purely based on my online presence
Old 2012-06-23, 12:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #223
Blackwolf
First Lieutenant

Welcome!

Just thought I'd stupidly enlarge a positive message for a change.

After seeing the videos, I think the guy is pretty sharp. Not fond of CS players but that's more because the majority that I've met were kinda... Anyway he is probably the best choice for the job they want done.

Criticizing him for his choice of game is just lame. Everyone has their own agenda as well as their own taste in games. He also doesn't strike me as bias towards games, something the rest of the PSU community is very heavy on.
Old 2012-06-23, 12:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #224
BillyBob
Corporal

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
I really hope you aren't a medical/architectural/culinary professional.
Hehe, nope.

However, any one of those fields require different skillsets than the other two...just as you can't really claim it to generally require more or less skills.

/BB
Old 2012-06-23, 12:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #225
Eyeklops
First Lieutenant

If I PayPal Whise some money will he make the Vanu HA have the biggest BOOM? Also, I'll send him even more money if he adds a turret to the Magrider.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion