Major items from Twitter - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Cause that Riverdance is scary
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-10-29, 04:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Re: Major items from Twitter

Not having buggies in at launch concerns me - they must design without buggies in the picture, which means the game is going to be balanced around versatile mbt hordes and versatile ES aircraft hordes. Two one-size-fits-all vehicles, which is just bland gameplay.

Not particularly happy about the lib change. My favorite vehicle converted into a 2-man reaver. I thought that picture looked a lot more like a gunship than a bomber.

I like seeing MAX have more abilities and weaponry options. And I really like the music in that TR video. Great capture of PS1 music in a new style. Rest of the info is rather disappointing.
Old 2011-10-29, 07:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
TRex
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post
So Heavy Battle Tanks are pretty much confirmed to not be in at launch (not surprising) but are a definite possibility after launch. Sweet.

Lightning sounds like it is already largely developed considering that they stated:
"Yes, lightning is in. It will be a little different due to the MBT driver is gunner change."

I wonder what sort of changes they made?
so we might get HBT's instead of BFR's. luring us in quietly before they unleash upon us. just joking , as long as they dont have rechargeable shields .
Old 2011-10-29, 08:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by TRex View Post
so we might get HBT's instead of BFR's. luring us in quietly before they unleash upon us. just joking , as long as they dont have rechargeable shields .
3 man HBTs and a shit ton of armor, no BFR shield bullshit.

And slow as hell too.
Old 2011-10-29, 10:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
EASyEightyEight
Sergeant Major

I don't think anyone expected SHIELDS on BFR's. They may have been better received if they never had them to begin with.

As for buggies, I'm under the impression they want to implement the most commonly used vehicles for release, then work on anything else. It sounds like they want to get the game out the door asap with the essentials covered.

Not saying buggies aren't essential but... they WERE far fewer in number than the tanks, and I'm sure they want to balance them so they're worth pulling over a tank.
Old 2011-10-29, 11:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
Baron
First Sergeant

BF2142 shield mechanic = awesome

If PS2 blatantly copied that I wouldn't complain

Old 2011-10-29, 11:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
CutterJohn
Colonel

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
Not having buggies in at launch concerns me - they must design without buggies in the picture, which means the game is going to be balanced around versatile mbt hordes and versatile ES aircraft hordes. Two one-size-fits-all vehicles, which is just bland gameplay.
So.. Pretty much PS1 then? MBTs and aircav were by far the most numerous vehicles.
Old 2011-10-29, 11:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
Tikuto
Major

I really am hoping the Wraith if it makes a return becomes something very sexy unlike the PS1 design. God that was awful for a cloaker vehicle... -.-

Liberator changes sounds very intriguing. Would like to know more of its customization.

[URL="http://t.co/wHak5U5R"]Floating Mountains[/URL
PlanetSide 2: Alien Incursion
(PlanetSide 2 Steam Community Group)

Last edited by Tikuto; 2011-10-29 at 11:21 AM.
Old 2011-10-29, 11:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by EASyEightyEight View Post
Not saying buggies aren't essential but... they WERE far fewer in number than the tanks, and I'm sure they want to balance them so they're worth pulling over a tank.
I am really hoping they are doing this so that they can devote as much time and attention as is needed to make buggies awesome.

They could be fun in PS1 and I know some people swore by them, but they were not awesome.

Remember the whole 1+1=3 people bring up about PS1's two man tanks? This never applied to buggies in PS1.

Buggies need to be like land based Reavers. Able to pack a huge punch, extremely fast, much better over rough terrain than PS1 buggies, but with lighter armor.

I like the thought of allowing you to hit buggy passengers directly instead of just doing damage to the vehicle. This would allow buggies to have a little bit extra armor while still being balanced.

I'd also like to see them merge buggies with the deliverer and leave only ES buggies and sunderers as mass ground transports. Sunderers would have super heavy armor and be able to transport entire squads and maybe even act as a mobile spawn point like the new galaxy, while the ES buggies could have room for a driver, gunner and a few passengers and get everyone to their destination a lot faster.

Last edited by Xyntech; 2011-10-29 at 11:22 AM.
Old 2011-10-29, 11:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
Tikuto
Major

Lightbulb buggies

In the future of humanity, you'd expect efficiency in technology. My opinion with this and buggies brings 'hover buggies' to mind. Why have a light-weight ground vehicle that is greatly hindered by humpy terrain in a game based on futuristic warfare?

Buggies must hover!

Customization of 'hover buggies' wouldn't entirely be necessary either. Bringing your own holstered weapon while driving would just be so sweet... The buggy's weapon would be your character's weapon.

Last edited by Tikuto; 2011-10-29 at 11:29 AM.
Old 2011-10-29, 12:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Re: buggies

Originally Posted by Tikuto View Post
In the future of humanity, you'd expect efficiency in technology. My opinion with this and buggies brings 'hover buggies' to mind. Why have a light-weight ground vehicle that is greatly hindered by humpy terrain in a game based on futuristic warfare?

Buggies must hover!

Customization of 'hover buggies' wouldn't entirely be necessary either. Bringing your own holstered weapon while driving would just be so sweet... The buggy's weapon would be your character's weapon.
VS have a copyright on hovering. We will sue any TR or NC infringement.

I want buggies to still have a single vehicle mounted gun that the gunner uses, which has a ton more firepower than PS1 buggy guns had. Like I said in my other post, I want them to have pre nerf reaver levels of firepower. It takes more than one person to operate the buggy, why not?

They could also give the driver a more forward fixed gun, something like the chain guns on a PS1 ATV if they felt that driving wasn't enough. Drivers who didn't want to use them wouldn't have to.

For the rest of the passengers, yes, let them use their own weapons. Maybe with a restriction that anything larger than a rifle is off limits.

It would be funny to see a bunch of rexos with HA having to use their pistols while riding in a buggy.
Old 2011-10-29, 12:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
IceyCold
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post

Not particularly happy about the lib change. My favorite vehicle converted into a 2-man reaver. I thought that picture looked a lot more like a gunship than a bomber.

I like seeing MAX have more abilities and weaponry options. And I really like the music in that TR video. Great capture of PS1 music in a new style. Rest of the info is rather disappointing.
So you missed that the Lightning is still in? And that it will be radically different from the MBT's to make it viable in some role?

I'll put a bet down right now it can be outfitted with weapons much like the original buggies, allowing for a second level of play, light fast vehicles that counter the larger tanks and aircraft.

Second, the Lib is still a 3 man vehicle last I checked from the twitter. I do not get where you got 2 seater unless I missed something?
Old 2011-10-29, 12:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Baron
First Sergeant

Some Buggy Armament Ideas: (2 hard points)

(Hardpoint cost) / (Weapon):

(2) MRLS (multiple rocket launching system, dumb-fire similar to PS1 Reaver)
(2) Single Guided Rocet (Empire Specific, NC)
(1) Flak
(2) PBC (Particle Beam Cannon, Empire Specific, VS)
(1) 12mm Gatling
(2) Twin mounted Rotary Cannon (high impact explosive rounts, Empire Specific, TR ...think "phalanx" type of guns on naval ships)
(1) EMP Pulse Launcher (mine sweeping)
(1) HDNRM (High Density Nanite Repair Module) (fast, mobile repair truck , can pull beside vehicles to repair / reload vehicles in the field)
(1) Flamethrower

(I reposted this in the Ideas Forum so we can build on it if people find it interesting enough)

Last edited by Baron; 2011-10-29 at 12:47 PM.
Old 2011-10-29, 12:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Tikuto
Major

Lightbulb Re: buggies

VS have a copyright on hovering. We will sue any TR or NC infringement.
lol die

They could also give the driver a more forward fixed gun, something like the chain guns on a PS1 ATV if they felt that driving wasn't enough. Drivers who didn't want to use them wouldn't have to.
Forward fixed gun with the speed and maneuverability of a hover buggy.

The weapon variations could all be just aesthetic differences between Empires. TR hover buggy forward-fixed weapon does this effect where the NC's hover buggy would do that. No damage difference between the three factions. And it'd be the only vehicle that does the same damage across empires, just different effects.

Simplified PlanetSide!

Last edited by Tikuto; 2011-10-29 at 12:47 PM.
Old 2011-10-29, 01:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by IceyCold View Post
So you missed that the Lightning is still in? And that it will be radically different from the MBT's to make it viable in some role?

I'll put a bet down right now it can be outfitted with weapons much like the original buggies, allowing for a second level of play, light fast vehicles that counter the larger tanks and aircraft.
Also, some ES buggies put in after launch could still be balanced with lightnings and MBT's and a Sunderer by making it be the fastest way to get a bunch of people around without risking getting shot down by AA like a Galaxy can be.

I'd love to see buggies be so fast and maneuverable that only an ES fighter can effectively hunt one day if the buggy is trying to run away. Give the buggy an optional AA gun to deal with those fighters. That would essentially make buggies the best guarantee for getting it's occupants from point A to point B in a timely fashion without getting killed.

The Sunderer should be the best way to get from point A to point B without getting killed, while the Galaxy should be the best way to get from point A to point B in a timely manner. Buggies would be a balance between the two.

Lightnings only get one person around. A buggy could be designed to get 4 or 5 people around. I would also make buggies way faster than lightnings.

I absolutely think that the game can be balanced in such a way that buggies aren't essential at launch, but are extremely useful while still not being overpowered when implemented after launch.

Edit: No making all buggies hover!

I love the thresher and am not a big fan of the TR or NC buggies, but I'd give my left nut to be able to drive a vehicle like Halo's Warthog around in Planetside 2. Just make sure that the NC and TR buggies are on that level of awesome and can get around on dry land just as effectively as a hover buggy.

Last edited by Xyntech; 2011-10-29 at 01:12 PM.
Old 2011-10-29, 04:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
Tikuto
Major

Last edited by Tikuto; 2011-10-29 at 04:20 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion