the difference between radeon 9800and 9700 - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: it's what's for breakfast, lunch, AND dinner.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2003-04-30, 11:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Doobz
Lieutenant Colonel

no, you can run the clock speeds up, but you can't install the new technologies that the 9800 Pro has over the 9700 Pro

the jump from smartshader and smoothvision 2.0 to 2.1 was rather significant, allowing for increased visual quality without as much loss to performance, which the reviews and test actually show, it's not some stuff that ATI is just touting
Old 2003-05-01, 11:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
OneManArmy
Contributor
Lieutenant General

well on the monitor thing, I use 75Hz all the time and it never bothers me.

I'm sure the 9800 is better but It is still a waste of money if you are already running the games fine. I dont plan on upgrading until i see some signifigant changes .I dont change video cards that often. here's my little chart of evolution..

Voodoo2 --> Geforce2 mx --> geforce3 ti 200 --> radeon 9500 pro

and I will stay with the radeon for a while (well untill cards with 256MB become cheap enough or I cant play games anymore..) because man I was barely hitting 15-20 fps in Counter-Strike with that voodoo 2 years and years ago....
Old 2003-05-01, 01:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Doobz
Lieutenant Colonel

the amount of RAM in the card from a 128 to a 256 really doesn't make much of a difference actually

i would wait until the 9800 Pro comes down in price if you're gonna get a new top of the line card
Old 2003-05-01, 03:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
OneManArmy
Contributor
Lieutenant General

yea but having 256megs of ram on your card just sounds friggen cool. I mean hell I fix computers all day that have less than that...
Old 2003-05-02, 01:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Daleon
Second Lieutenant

Well there are no real numbers yet for the 256 cards. So until they get some no one will really know if they help with todays games or not. I'm not to worried about tommorows games because I will have tommorows card for them.

No I wouldn't suggest ppl with 9500 Pro or 9700 Pro's to upgrade to 9800 Pro's. But thats not what the guy who started this thread asked about. For someone wanting the best card available now its the 9800 Pro. Its no more expensive than the 9700 Pro was when it came out.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum