Infiltrators, hacking, and REK. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Now on the top left corner.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions

Old 2012-07-14, 03:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Vinven
Private

Infiltrators, hacking, and REK.

My main thing I did in Planetside 1 was run around as an Infiltrator with advanced hacking. It was to my surprise when I saw a PS2 video of some random guy doing what would be "hacking a control console", however he didn't pull out a REK or anything. It just seemed like he was just capturing it, as if it was an Arathi Basin flag.

Are they removing REK's from the game? Is hacking in the game, and if so to what level? I dislike the generic "capturing" of bases, which is what generic mmos do. Hacking was something unique and I hope they have it in PS2.
Old 2012-07-14, 03:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Warrcry
Private

Re: Infiltrators, hacking, and REK.

Well remember this isn't a released game. It could be they just don't have an animation for it yet. I agree though hacking is very iconic to Planetside. I'm not even gonna guess about it just yet though.
Old 2012-07-14, 04:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
SteinB
Sergeant

Since hacking consoles will be limited to the infiltrator class and could easily be represented by some hand motions over the console itself there isn't a need for a specific tool to do it.

Last edited by SteinB; 2012-07-14 at 04:05 PM.
Old 2012-07-14, 08:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
GLaDOS
Staff Sergeant

I'm pretty sure hacking points within a base will be somewhat like capturing flags in a BF Conquest mode, but Infiltrators will be able to hack enemy vehicle and equipment terminals and turrets. I don't know about anything else, but chances are there'll be more.
Old 2012-07-14, 10:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
SnipeGrzywa
Corporal

Misc Info

The captures points can be hacked by any infantry unit (not MAX).

In earlier interviews they said there was no "REK" and no hacking.

But recent footage showed an infil turning a turret and equipment terminal, so obviously that changed. If anyone has seen the actual infil cert tree and can fill us in then please do!

Also, there is currently no way to hack an enemy vehicle, which should be remedy IMO.
Old 2012-07-14, 11:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Dubious
Sergeant

hacking vehicles should be ingame as its the best way to stop ppl from standing still and camping a spot
if no hacking i can drive a tank to a spot and sit there 4ever..

anyay, infil sounds nice, always wanted to be a sniper with cloaking ability
Old 2012-07-15, 12:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
fb III IX ca IV
Corporal

Can you hack while cloaked? I think that would be OP.
Old 2012-07-15, 01:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Dubious
Sergeant

You can in PS1 so i see no reason why you shouldnt..

I have fun running around jacking vhs camping places
Old 2012-07-15, 01:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Vinven
Private

I just watched a video in which it showed an Infiltrators cert list, and hacking was in it. Can't remember which one exactly, it was a Totalbiscuit E3 one I believe.
Old 2012-07-15, 07:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Accuser
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
hacking vehicles should be ingame as its the best way to stop ppl from standing still and camping a spot
if no hacking i can drive a tank to a spot and sit there 4ever..

anyay, infil sounds nice, always wanted to be a sniper with cloaking ability
Hacking vehicles absolutely will not be in PS2. They've said in the past that they don't want one faction to be able to use another faction's vehicle. But if you sit still in a tank, you're going to get C4'd. Infiltrators in PS2 will be able to C4 stationary vehicles MUCH faster than they could hack them in PS1, so it's much more lethal ^_^
Old 2012-07-15, 11:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Dubious
Sergeant

then the question is, how many C4 to kill a tank?
Old 2012-07-15, 11:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Accuser
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
then the question is, how many C4 to kill a tank?
How many of X to kill X is a Beta question.
A Magrider went down to 2 or 3 in one of the E3 videos, but the balance will come out in Beta. Still, you could toss down 10 C4 in the time it took to hack an occupied tank in PS1 :-P
Old 2012-07-15, 12:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Dubious
Sergeant

takes like 4 sec to jack a tank in ps1..
Old 2012-07-15, 12:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
SnipeGrzywa
Corporal

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Accuser View Post
Hacking vehicles absolutely will not be in PS2. They've said in the past that they don't want one faction to be able to use another faction's vehicle. But if you sit still in a tank, you're going to get C4'd. Infiltrators in PS2 will be able to C4 stationary vehicles MUCH faster than they could hack them in PS1, so it's much more lethal ^_^
What I don't get is why? Whats wrong with stealing other empires gear? (Side note, can you pick up enemy weapons?)

Back when the game launched we got ahold of a Vanguard somehow. We literally kept that it alive for 3 days, trading out crews when they had to log and doing black market deals to get main gun ammo for it. It was demoralizing to the NC to see a purple Vany. It was just one more mechanic to make an awesome game even better.
Old 2012-07-15, 05:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Accuser
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by SnipeGrzywa View Post
What I don't get is why? Whats wrong with stealing other empires gear? (Side note, can you pick up enemy weapons?)

Back when the game launched we got ahold of a Vanguard somehow. We literally kept that it alive for 3 days, trading out crews when they had to log and doing black market deals to get main gun ammo for it. It was demoralizing to the NC to see a purple Vany. It was just one more mechanic to make an awesome game even better.
I think the biggest reason is free accounts allowing people to give themselves other factions' vehicles. Want a Scythe? Just create another free account and meet your other character in some desolate locale. Hell, my friends and I did it on PS1 anytime someone wasn't using their account. And it does make the factions more distinct if you never see a TR Magrider or an NC Prowler.

And I doubt you'll be able to pick up enemy weapons, or friendly weapons for that matter. There would be a lot of "Hey look at the gun I just certed! /suicide Here try it out!" But we don't really know atm.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions