Will your desktop/laptop run PS2? ***Ask here*** - Page 20 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I love Nerf! expecially the foam arrow guns...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Closed Thread

Old 2012-08-11, 11:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #286
Gonzo
Private

Re: Will your desktop/laptop run PS2? ***Ask here***

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
The CPU and GPU should be up for the game. I just don't know if the drivers are going to be quirky when you are trying to play the game. You really need this for classes? I'm surprised TBH.
Well, I went over the minimum the school recommended, but architecture classes involve a lot of modelling and rendering that can take a fair amount of computing power.
Old 2012-08-11, 12:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #287
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

They were actually recommending quadro cards? I wasn't expecting that. When I was doing Civil Engineering as my major I checked with professors and they said the modeling for that wouldn't require anything insane like a CAD card. I think it was solidworks and another program, though I never had to use it as I switched out. Different major I know, but I wasn't sure what so expect which is why I went around asking. If anything really needed that much power I would of likely just went to the lab to work on it.

I'm sure the card will run the game. Like I said before you may run into odd issues as these aren't meant for gaming. I don't think these cards getting any game optimization drivers whatsoever.
Old 2012-08-11, 03:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #288
Gonzo
Private

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
They were actually recommending quadro cards? I wasn't expecting that. When I was doing Civil Engineering as my major I checked with professors and they said the modeling for that wouldn't require anything insane like a CAD card. I think it was solidworks and another program, though I never had to use it as I switched out. Different major I know, but I wasn't sure what so expect which is why I went around asking. If anything really needed that much power I would of likely just went to the lab to work on it.

I'm sure the card will run the game. Like I said before you may run into odd issues as these aren't meant for gaming. I don't think these cards getting any game optimization drivers whatsoever.
They didn't have a card specified, just processor and ram recommendations.

Thanks for the info though.
Old 2012-08-11, 04:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #289
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

You're welcome. At least you will likely make everyone else's jaw drop with how much better your card is, while in class for rendering. I bet you many will still be using the IGP on the Intel at best being the HD4000.
Old 2012-08-11, 05:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #290
Maddox
Private

Any chance of this running 1680x1050 minimum settings at reasonable (30+) framerate? Kinda worried about the CPU.

CPU: Intel Core2Duo e8400 @ 3GHz
RAM: 4GB
GPU: GTX460 1gb
Old 2012-08-11, 07:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #291
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by Maddox View Post
Any chance of this running 1680x1050 minimum settings at reasonable (30+) framerate? Kinda worried about the CPU.

CPU: Intel Core2Duo e8400 @ 3GHz
RAM: 4GB
GPU: GTX460 1gb
You probably will be able to run the game. You have the GPU power, but the CPU is a serious bottleneck. May get luck with some settings above low as well.
Old 2012-08-13, 04:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #292
KimJongLulz
Banned

Alright long story short.

Friend was out of town on my birthday, he got back in town on friday. Gave me a copy of windows 7 ultimate as a late birthday present.

I installed it, got SP1 up. My EVGA precision tool shows random spikes of the clocks and what not when on Chrome, sometimes it happens sometimes it doesnt. Of course went playing youtube videos. I played a few games (BLR and Space Marine) the GPU usage skyrockets to like 90/95 and so does the temperatures. I know 100 is like the max the card can use and I try to keep things under 80c but it gets close to it sometimes. I did install drivers for it.

IS my 9800gt just not good with windows 7 ultimate or is it just showing signs of age?

Other than that...my CPU is doing fantastically in Win7, been seeing my CPU hit like 38c or so when just idlng and looking around on the internet with stock fan/heatsink too. I don't know I just might be being a little on the overly safe side...funny to see my speccy reading my CPU at 38c, my Motherboard at 44c and then heres my graphics card at like 51c just going around the internet or idling around.

Last edited by KimJongLulz; 2012-08-14 at 12:12 PM.
Old 2012-08-16, 11:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #293
Terran
Private

CPU: Intel i3-2120
RAM: 4GB DDR3
GPU: Radeon 6770

Will the i3-2120 run Planetside 2?
Old 2012-08-16, 11:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #294
Breadman
Private

Misc Info

CPU: AMD Athlon(tm)IIx4 620 Processor 2.6 GHz
RAM: 6 GB
GPU: NVidia GeForce GT 240

Might as well start fresh huh?
Old 2012-08-16, 11:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #295
KimJongLulz
Banned

Originally Posted by Terran View Post
CPU: Intel i3-2120
RAM: 4GB DDR3
GPU: Radeon 6770

Will the i3-2120 run Planetside 2?
Smedley said the game is CPU intensive, so dual cores will be rather...not ideal. I think everything else is good, the 6770 is pretty good on the hierarchy. I would switch out the dual core if anything, but you will be playing maybe low/medium depending on how much room they plan to give dual cores.

Originally Posted by Breadman View Post
CPU: AMD Athlon(tm)IIx4 620 Processor 2.6 GHz
RAM: 6 GB
GPU: NVidia GeForce GT 240

Might as well start fresh huh?
That graphics card is...yeah, thats the weakest link in the build. The Athlon might be alright...it is a quad core but not exactly the fastest. Not a clue but as far as I know that GPU is in dire need of upgrading then maybe the CPU next down the road if you get the feeling to. As for playing...I have no clue...you'd probably have a hard time on low with that graphics card regardless if the game is CPU intensive.

Last edited by KimJongLulz; 2012-08-16 at 11:48 AM.
Old 2012-08-18, 11:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #296
JoCool
Corporal

My current system is:
Intel Dual Core 2 E6600 @2.4GHz
4GB DDR3 @533MHz
Geforce GTS 250 1GB clocks: core702MHz, shader 1502MHz, mem 1k MHz

With that system, what do you recommend me to upgrade first - will the CPU or the GPU be the harder bottleneck?
Old 2012-08-18, 07:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #297
KimJongLulz
Banned

Originally Posted by JoCool View Post
My current system is:
4GB DDR3 @533MHz

With that system, what do you recommend me to upgrade first - will the CPU or the GPU be the harder bottleneck?

I'm sure replacing the dual core will be best, seeing the game is "CPU Intensive"
Old 2012-08-22, 03:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #298
BulletExodus
Private

Since my last thread on graphics advice, I've decided to go all-out with a new computer since my laptop can't currently run the beta. Here are the specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770 @3.4 GHz
RAM: 16GB DDR3 @1600 MHz (I was thinking 16 way over the top considering, but I needed another's opinion)
GPU: Nvidia GTX 660 1.5GB

What do you think? Will I be okay?

Last edited by BulletExodus; 2012-08-22 at 02:43 PM.
Old 2012-08-24, 12:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #299
Ailos
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by JoCool View Post
My current system is:
4GB DDR3 @533MHz

In all reality, that CPU will be causing issues, and will be a big bottleneck. The GPU is actually not too bad - it should be able to give you decent performance at medium-to-low settings. You can make your own thread to get more advice on this, but between the need for a quad-core and faster, higher-capacity RAM, I'd recommend swapping those 3 things out to something like an i3-2120 with 8 GB of DDR3-1600 RAM.

Originally Posted by BulletExodus View Post
Since my last thread on graphics advice, I've decided to go all-out with a new computer since my laptop can't currently run the beta. Here are the specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770 @3.4 GHz
RAM: 16GB DDR3 @1600 MHz (I was thinking 16 way over the top considering, but I needed another's opinion)
GPU: Nvidia GTX 660 1.5GB

What do you think? Will I be okay?
Should be good.

Interior Crocodile Aviator
IronFist After Dark
Old 2012-08-31, 08:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #300
MightyJellyFish
Private

CPU: E5300 @ 260GHz (only a wee dual core :/)
RAM: 2G
GPU: GeForce 9500GT
OP: WinXp 32bit (might be able to get a hold of Win7 64bit)

Obviously some upgrading required but my problem.... where do I start?
New GPU, CPU or RAM?

P.S I can run Tribes Ascend, Mass Effect 3 and Arma II OA fine on medium... not sure how though.
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum