No sanctuary's. Could it cause a problem? - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Still with a zero percent graduation rate!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2011-07-14, 05:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
Rabb
Contributor
Sergeant

Re: No sanctuary's. Could it cause a problem?

I kinda like the idea of no sanctuary’s it means other bases and locations will be used as staging areas which opens up more tactical options in the form of spoiling attacks to stop an assault before it starts.
Old 2011-07-14, 08:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
Tikuto
Major

While there may not be an old Sanctuary, I still like the idea of VS's homeland being named "Sanctuary" nevertheless - just a name.

VS homeland: "Sanctuary" in a spiritual sense.
TR homeland: "Metropolis" in a developed sense.
NC homeland: "Bastion" (stronghold) in a rebellious sense.

Last edited by Tikuto; 2011-07-14 at 08:28 AM.
Old 2011-07-14, 08:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
Aractain
Major

The VS's homeland is called "Graveyard".
Old 2011-07-14, 08:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
Princess Frosty
Corporal

I'm mixed on this.

On the one hand waiting for the HART was boring and slowed down time between combat, but it also let randoms group together and all hit at the same time rather than trickling into battle and never amassing enough punch to be effective.

Kind of like wave spawning in a lot of FPS games today, it means you're forced to attack as a unit.

Hopefully they can balance all that with the new system.

PC game fix database - http://www.pcgamingstandards.com
Old 2011-07-14, 08:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
BlazingSun
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Aractain View Post
The VS's homeland is called "Graveyard".
"Gaybar" is more likely
Old 2011-07-14, 09:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
Tigersmith
Major

Misc Info

Ill tell you right now. I dont like how there is going to be a base on every cont you cant get. Its stupid.

For me I got the most satisfaction eliminating a enemy empire from a cont. Now its gonna be like ok. We got rid of all their land. but they still have a base.

Stupid idea.
Old 2011-07-14, 09:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
Elude
First Sergeant

As said before I don't think sanctuaries have been removed even though the developers claim that, they simply just changed how they work.

I'm perfectly fine with permanent bases per faction on each continent. I imagine the way spawning will work is that when you log in you are able to spawn at either of these permanent bases or squad spawn in with a drop pod on your squad leader if he has the upgrades for it.

I'm still unsure how drop ship spawning will work, my guess is it'll be a third option just after logging in, where you spawn in a drop ship on the field. But perhaps you must select and spawn on a continent first, and selecting a drop ship to spawn in on that continent via a terminal or something. Then again maybe it's attached to an upgrade for the pilot who can perhaps filter out whether he wants random team members to show up in his craft or just squad mates.

Anyway, I really don't mind fighting over one area forever because there are great resources there, in fact I love it. To me it feels more like your own when you have to take care of it and live off of it. This will add a completely different feel to PlanetSide 2 I think and will ultimately make the cause of fighting feel more real.

Truth be told the resource location will feel more like the sanctuaries themselves but instead of something completely safe they will have value to them.

To me this seems much more lively then before.

Last edited by Elude; 2011-07-14 at 09:37 AM.
Old 2011-07-14, 09:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
Logit
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Wakken View Post
Am I the only one who actually kinda liked the sanctuarys? Waiting for the shuttle and having toilet break while waiting for it xD
You're not alone.

I really hope they reconsider the whole sanctuary idea, although it seems unlikely.

Last edited by Logit; 2011-07-14 at 09:40 AM.
Old 2011-07-14, 09:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
Warruz
Sergeant

Originally Posted by DeeTwoEh View Post
It still seems chaotic. Also the fear of a fight never ending, which I think is their direction with this game. It was nice to capture all the bases on a continent and then move on to the next one. But since every cont has an uncapturable foothold it would seem impossible to ever end the fight and given the prevalence of people spawning at them it would just be a constant back and forth.
There needs to be a end to the fight thought, their needs to be a point where you move on to a different place. Planetside is a constant struggle but once again what gives that sense of immersion and mmo feeling is that at some point that fight is done there, you conquered it and its time to move on. Or your defending and loosing and its time to fight a new front.

Id rather have that new front be on different ground/environment/weather not on HEX 38 in the top right corner right outside my minisanc.

What id rather see if anything is these bastions are neutral and become a simply larger undertaking to claim the entire place as yours.
Old 2011-07-14, 10:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
Elude
First Sergeant

Don't you guys see? The end of the fight is taking the enemy resources which could benefit you much more then taking any one continent in Planetside 1 would do.

Just imagine how well defended said resources might actually be! There could be more troops there defending then there were people massing in sanctuaries of PlanetSide 1.

To me those are the main homes, something you actually claimed rather then given from the start, taking one of these will feel way more like an accomplishment in my opinion then taking an entire continent in PlanetSide 1.
Old 2011-07-14, 10:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #41
Volw
First Sergeant

Biggest plus of no sanctuaries I can think of is ... I won't have to worry about bloody pop-lock.

In PS1, unless one of the factions had access to all types of facilities, there was always a reason to go back (usually to either bring in the tanks or Galaxy). That when people still played meant at the very least 30 minutes of waiting in the queue.

Seems like no more this time. Recall to 'foothold', grab a gal, fly back. Win.
All that matters is that there is enough freedom, and enough fuckers to kill, in the game that Renegade Legion can do our thing. If there is that, then the rest of the game shall be bent to our will, just like the first one was. - Hovis [RL] on PS2

Renegade Legion
http://forums.renegade-legion.org
Old 2011-07-14, 10:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #42
Warruz
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Elude View Post
Don't you guys see? The end of the fight is taking the enemy resources which could benefit you much more then taking any one continent in Planetside 1 would do.

Just imagine how well defended said resources might actually be! There could be more troops there defending then there were people massing in sanctuaries of PlanetSide 1.

To me those are the main homes, something you actually claimed rather then given from the start, taking one of these will feel way more like an accomplishment in my opinion then taking an entire continent in PlanetSide 1.
resources are a means to a end, they aid you in taking over and doing better.

Sanctuaries like i said add to the immersion, they connect the world and give a sense of world. Without it you now have these mini sancs on the different worlds not connected. It becomes just a jazzed up Map switch like a traditional FPS game, no different then the server changing maps.

I would prefer the strongholds where Neutral and could be captured, you gain it to give a main base of operations on that area but you can loose it.Also giving quite a fight for that last piece of land to take over.

I know im really on this immersion thing but i feel it is a important part, look at WoW or other attempts at a sort of MMOFPS. They are all instances, you need not do anything or have nothing to do in the world. You click a few buttons and you que up and are sent in a BG esc way. I dont want planetside to simply be larger scale of this, where instead of 16vs16 its 100vs100.
Old 2011-07-14, 12:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Raymac
Brigadier General

Volw makes a great point in that when there is a pop-lock, you don't want to leave that continent just to rally for an attack because it will take you forever just to zone back in. This limited your tactical options. I'm glad they are removing that limitation.

Also, since the lattice is out the window, and we have this new awesome terrain control dynamic, locking an empire out of a continent is probably going to be significantly harder whether there is an uncapturable foothold or not. You don't just have to take that last base connected to the warpgate, you are going to have to surround your enemy and force them into a corner.

It's really hard to say for certain what this major change will bring until we see what the maps look like. From what I've heard so far, the pros for removing Sancs are going to far outweigh the cons.
Old 2011-07-14, 03:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Vash02
Major

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post
It feels like the people who really want the Sancs want them primarily for the sake of nostalgia. It sounds like anything you can do at the Sancs now, you will be able to do at the new "Footholds" including staging for an attack.

We don't need a whole detached continent for this.
Then one could argue why have a individual sanc for each continent when you can just have one?

This is what I see happening at these footholds. CR5's call searhus as primary and to form up in the foothold. mindless zergers head off immediately before the empire is formed up and starts capping land where the opposing empire then notices, shuts down the raid and traps it inside the foothold.

Theres also the problem of enemy empire mossies/cloakers just hanging around outside watching your every move.
Old 2011-07-14, 03:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Vash02 View Post
Then one could argue why have a individual sanc for each continent when you can just have one?

This is what I see happening at these footholds. CR5's call searhus as primary and to form up in the foothold. mindless zergers head off immediately before the empire is formed up and starts capping land where the opposing empire then notices, shuts down the raid and traps it inside the foothold.

Theres also the problem of enemy empire mossies/cloakers just hanging around outside watching your every move.
Good point, but it's a reality that is unavoidable to a certain extent. The same thing happens in PS1.

Operational Security will always be important in a massive pvp game like this. We can do the same thing in PS2 as we do now. Form up somewhere, but not give the target until you are formed up and ready. I assume we'll be able to warpgate from one continent to another.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion