Balance Pass Adjustments - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Imagine if we got nickles for every rejected quote....
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-10-10, 07:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Indecisive
Major General

Balance Pass Adjustments

Based on the feedback we have received, the following adjustments will be made to the balance pass before it goes live:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1) Magrider handling improved significantly. (See notes about "momentum killer" feature that's coming soon.)

2) Lightning handling: The "off-the-line" speed was improved, although the max speed and time to max speed are essentially unchanged. But the Lightning has a faster acceleration curve from a stop now.

3) The "bleed %" on the explosion of the Magrider's main cannon has been increased so that it does more damage at the edge of its explosion. This allows the main cannon to have more of an effect against infantry than before.

4) Direct-hits by tank shells (150mm and 100mm) will now kill infantry immediately. However, near misses will still leave infantry relatively untouched.

5) NC MAX recharge rate on shield capacitor is doubled (recharges more quickly).

6) Reload time on the TR MAX Pounder is increased (4 seconds instead of 2). This helps prevent the Pounder from being the ulitimate defensive machine by allowing attackers to charge in while it's reloading.

7) NC Scattercannon damage vs. armor is turned back down to 5. Its damage vs. armor was increased slightly from 10 to 11.

8) The following vehicles had their weapon systems changed so that they had more positional flexibility (typically up/down angles were increased):
* Magrider (main cannon shoots up at 45 degrees and depresses down more. Flux cannon shoots up at 45 degrees now also.)
* Vanguard (weapons systems now depress down further...but not much more)
* Prowler (no change...these turrets already changed in the initial balancing pass)
* Lightning (weapons systems now depress down further)
* Enforcer (Firebird missile launcher now fires up to a 45 degree angle and depresses slightly more down for better defense against infantry.)
* Thresher (much higher vertical inclination, 85 degrees)
* Galaxy (side guns have much greater vertical range (up and down) and the rear gun can elevate slightly higher)

9) Striker buffer time (before losing a lock-on) has been increased to make the Striker easier to use.

10) Lancer CoF settles down more quickly after pivoting left or right with the weapon in-hand.

11) Mini-Chaingun now has a slightly reduced maximum CoF bloom when firing or taking damage, and it now has a bit looser CoF when standing (giving MCG users a reason to crouch so they gain max CoF tightness).

12) NC MAX Scattercannon no longer has a forced zoom mode. Your view remains normal even though the shot spread tightens at each of the firing modes (primary is the loosest spread, but most damage at close range, whereas tertiary is the tightest spread, but does less damage up close).

"Momentum Killer" Feature (TBD)
When vehicles hit other soldiers or other vehicles, they will do damage as normal. However, that vehicle's momentum will be slowed significantly, and that vehicle will have to accelerate again to attain max velocity after such a collision. This results in vehicles still being able to kill infantry by running them over, but also reduces that vehicle's momentum so that it's more of a target on the battlefield, and so that other infantry have a few extra moments to scramble to safety after the tank squishes a few of their friends.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Victor Wachter
Community Relations Representative
Many questions can be answered by reading the PlanetSide Game Info and FAQ

HOLY 0WNAGE BATMAN!
Old 2003-10-10, 07:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Sentrosi
Contributor
General

Wow, Momentum killer........The end of mass mowing down people.

Thank god they addressed this.

To the next idiot who says the PS2 Devs do not listen: See this Thread
Old 2003-10-10, 08:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Neon Apocalypse
Colonel

They need to fix that on AMS and Vanguard really badly, ive seen more mowing with those than the mag.
Old 2003-10-10, 08:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Kikinchikin

Well that has restored a lot of faith i lost in the devs when they announced their initial plans, altho im not sure about the pounder reload thing...
Old 2003-10-10, 09:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Eldanesh
Sergeant Major

4) Direct-hits by tank shells (150mm and 100mm) will now kill infantry immediately. However, near misses will still leave infantry relatively untouched
So does this mean we can't point the vanguard turret in the general direction of several infantry and kill them all any more?

Hafta say, I have liked every thing about balence pass but what has been doen to enforcer and lightning. (Can't say if maurader had it happen too, 'cause I can't jack them on the test server.)

Enforcer+Lightning both had armor buffs, in the case of the lightning, by quite a lot (~800?) but in the enforcer by about 200. Now, this is good and in line with the rest of the armor buffs, however both of those two vehicles had such a nerf in acceleration and handling that odds are, that armor is not going to save you when you can't accelerate fast enough to put distance between yourself and the target. (handling is like a boat now too)

However, just my little complaint, but things are looking up as far as the patch goes. (Also that angle buff on the firebird rocket will help so much for hitting skeeters as well as the occasional infantry, I am happy and will prolly learn to live with it. )
Old 2003-10-10, 11:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Slice
Sergeant

I agree with the entire patch except the whole striker nerf. That's my only beef. Otherwise, great job devs.
Old 2003-10-11, 12:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Hamma
PSU Admin

Interesting.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2003-10-11, 12:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Black
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Hamma
Interesting.
Very
Old 2003-10-11, 01:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Contributor
Banned for no reason

Misc Info

other infantry have a few extra moments to scramble to safety after the tank squishes a few of their friends.
:morbid:

Old 2003-10-11, 01:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Veteran
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

How is a near-miss by a 100+ millimeter shell not instantly fatal? Sounds like the Mag's main gun is now more effective at AI than the Vanguard's, which makes it better AI and AV. Odd.

"Blessed are those who Hunger and Thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied." - Jesus Christ

PlanetSide player, retired
Old 2003-10-11, 01:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
dscytherulez
Lieutenant Colonel

Yeah, i dont quite understand the whole tank thing. They already need direct hits to kill you, it takes like 2 van shells if theyre right next to you so as it is. Youd think a tank would have a little more...umph...ya know? How many non direct hits will it take now?

And one question, is the striker thing a buff or a nerf, because it says "easier to use" but ppl are saying it was nerfed.
Old 2003-10-11, 02:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
ajohn505
Sergeant

It seems that with this and core combat, I may have to actually subscribe to the game again just to give it another go round.
"I am angry that so many of the sons of the powerful and well-placed... managed to wrangle slots in Reserve and National Guard units...Of the many tragedies of Vietnam, this raw class discrimination strikes me as the most damaging to the ideal that all Americans are created equal and owe equal allegiance to their country."

-Colin Powell�s autobiography, My American Journey, p. 148
Old 2003-10-11, 02:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Lise
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Gohan_VA

9) Striker buffer time (before losing a lock-on) has been increased to make the Striker easier to use.

11) Mini-Chaingun now has a slightly reduced maximum CoF bloom when firing or taking damage, and it now has a bit looser CoF when standing (giving MCG users a reason to crouch so they gain max CoF tightness).

"Momentum Killer" Feature (TBD)
When vehicles hit other soldiers or other vehicles, they will do damage as normal. However, that vehicle's momentum will be slowed significantly, and that vehicle will have to accelerate again to attain max velocity after such a collision. This results in vehicles still being able to kill infantry by running them over, but also reduces that vehicle's momentum so that it's more of a target on the battlefield, and so that other infantry have a few extra moments to scramble to safety after the tank squishes a few of their friends.
OMFG SEX W/ DEVS PLZ
Old 2003-10-11, 03:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
WritheNC
First Lieutenant

Very nice, except for the near-miss no longer instantly kills...

What the hell is a near miss? I mean, if a shell lands a meter away, you should still be dead, regardless of whether its a 100mm or 150mm shell.
Old 2003-10-11, 04:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Incompetent
Contributor
InComa

I like everything but the pounder reload thing, i'm a bit uneasy about that. It already has to reload twice as often, now it's gonna take twice as long? The only thing it was good for before was defense, now it's going to be so easy to slip in under a volley it'll be nearly worthless. In the past it's been shown time and time again, TR infantry cannot stand up against enemy HA alone once the fighting gets indoors, now they take away the lynch-pin of our defensive tactics.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion